Sequel or SDK?

(previously 'DEVELOPER') Private forum for registered community members. To register, please visit www.prison-architect.com/register.

Moderator: NBJeff

Dosedmonkey
level3
level3

Sequel or SDK?

Postby Dosedmonkey » Sun Sep 08, 2013 5:52 pm

I am not sure if they have thought this far a head.

But if they are going to make a sequel that would be fantastic, I would love to see an Airport Architect. It would use very similar things, such as contraband searching. Would be a great engine for an airport game, and since Airport Inc, which was much more limited then Prison Architect, there hasn't been any other proper attempts at this highly popular genre.

If you are not going to make a sequel. I sincerly hope you release an SDK with basic tutorial, so others can make total conversion modifications for this great game. I would be one of them. There is so many ideas for modifications.

Okay bad example this screenshot, just some vehicles in Em4 SDK, but I remember makings WWI mod for Battlefield 1942, SWAT mod for Battlefield Vietnam, and my latest, British mod for Emergency 4. Would love to make a mod for this game.

(Sadly Battlefield 1918 secretly developed, completely wiped our mod, The Great War).
xander
level5
level5

Re: Sequel or SDK?

Postby xander » Sun Sep 08, 2013 6:01 pm

IV don't do sequels.

xander
alpha-9
level0

Postby alpha-9 » Sun Sep 08, 2013 6:14 pm

F :!: ck it make a new Theme Hospital while you're at it

Can we swear on here? :mrgreen:
luarvic
level0

Postby luarvic » Sun Sep 08, 2013 8:33 pm

And another one with space station called m-m, i dont know, Space Station 13 maybe?
GC13
level2
level2

Postby GC13 » Sun Sep 08, 2013 9:22 pm

I require Spaceport Architect. Make it for me or hire me and I'll do it: just bankroll the art assets and handle distribution. :D
Causeless
level2
level2

Postby Causeless » Mon Sep 09, 2013 12:42 am

xander wrote:
IV don't do sequels.

xander

Multiwinia?
111none
level4
level4

Postby 111none » Mon Sep 09, 2013 2:40 am

Causeless wrote:
xander wrote:
IV don't do sequels.

xander

Multiwinia?

Didn't come out too well, I tell ya.
But they usually do release a source code at some point.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Mon Sep 09, 2013 3:03 am

Causeless wrote:Multiwinia?

One might argue that Multiwinia is the exception that proves the rule. IV were required by Microsoft to add a multiplayer component to Darwinia before they could release Darwinia on XBLA. This turned out to be creatively frustrating and financially unsuccessful. Hence IV don't do sequels. ;)

xander
Dosedmonkey
level3
level3

Postby Dosedmonkey » Mon Sep 09, 2013 4:45 pm

xander wrote:
Causeless wrote:Multiwinia?

One might argue that Multiwinia is the exception that proves the rule.
xander

Well exceptions that prove the rule, is a stupid saying made by people, who contradict their own comments.

And as for comparing it to their past games, this I feel is going to be the most successful of their products.

I don't really want a sequel. I want a new game built on the same engine technicaly. Sequel was just a one worded way of putting it! Although not wholey accrete.

GC13 wrote:I require Spaceport Architect. Make it for me or hire me and I'll do it: just bankroll the art assets and handle distribution. :D

Not sure if this was sarcasm, if it was...
... obviously I don't want them to make it for me, if I was wanting an SDK. But if they're not going to, I thought I would openly suggest my idea. :wink:
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Mon Sep 09, 2013 4:56 pm

Dosedmonkey wrote:I don't really want a sequel. I want a new game built on the same engine technicaly

Technically, all of Introversion's games are built on the same engine. ;)

xander
GC13
level2
level2

Postby GC13 » Mon Sep 09, 2013 5:08 pm

Dosedmonkey wrote:Not sure if this was sarcasm
I doubt someone being sarcastic would imply a willingness to put any effort towards it.

And I really do want Spaceport Architect. It's never too early to start work on my Christmas present.
DonRiver
level1
level1

Postby DonRiver » Mon Sep 09, 2013 6:00 pm

xander wrote:
Dosedmonkey wrote:I don't really want a sequel. I want a new game built on the same engine technicaly

xander

Please please please please elaborate on that. Unless you're calling C++ an engine :P
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Mon Sep 09, 2013 6:07 pm

DonRiver wrote:
xander wrote:

xander

Please please please please elaborate on that. Unless you're calling C++ an engine :P

There is a core of code that is common to all of IV's games. The code that plays sounds, loads and saves files, displays graphics, and so on is all contained in a core set of libraries that IV have written and modified as they create games. While you can see this in the source code if you have access, it is pretty clear from the structure of the main.dat and sounds.dat files for all of the games. Obviously, there have been some improvements over time---new additions and tweaks---but the basic "game engine" that IV are using is, essentially, that written for Uplink.

Of course, we could get into a debate about what, exactly, constitutes a game engine, but the large amount of underlying architecture that has remained essentially unchanged seems to qualify.

xander
111none
level4
level4

Postby 111none » Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:14 am

xander wrote:There is a core of code that is common to all of IV's games. The code that plays sounds, loads and saves files, displays graphics, and so on is all contained in a core set of libraries that IV have written and modified as they create games. While you can see this in the source code if you have access, it is pretty clear from the structure of the main.dat and sounds.dat files for all of the games. Obviously, there have been some improvements over time---new additions and tweaks---but the basic "game engine" that IV are using is, essentially, that written for Uplink.

Of course, we could get into a debate about what, exactly, constitutes a game engine, but the large amount of underlying architecture that has remained essentially unchanged seems to qualify.

xander

There we go, Gettin technical :D .
Causeless
level2
level2

Postby Causeless » Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:20 am

xander wrote:

xander

Well, a very minimal bare-bones engine at that - at least, we know that the core non-gameplay-related mechanics of Prison Architect (namely pathfinding, the grid, AI, and so on), aren't in the same codebase as Uplink, and even in games with pathfinding or similar features they are clearly implemented in dramatically different ways. Saying that the new Hospital Architect or Jurassic Park Architect is built on Uplink's "engine" is a little silly, to say the least.

I don't think a set of libraries really counts as an engine, anyways.

I mean, it's pretty obvious with very single game that they could probably rip out this engine and replace it in a few days of work, hell, even a few hours.

Return to “Community Members”