Cell and prison design

General chit-chat and minor questions about just about anything

Moderator: NBJeff

Trollitito
level1
level1

Postby Trollitito » Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:16 am

Stormcaller3801 wrote:Interesting- I was hesitant to put the tv in a place the water could reach, out of fear it would cause problems with electrical shorts. But I guess that works out just fine. That could save money with less drains.

Did you put a 1x1 shower room designation under the shower head, or is that a trick of the lighting?

How well is your laundry working, if I may ask? I have a theory that they don't like to use more than one laundry hamper at a time; I noticed that it wasn't until I built enough cells for the laundry workers to empty their hamper of fresh uniforms that they started gathering up the discarded dirty ones.

At first i thought the same as you and i tried to place the drain between the shower and the television or even building a 1x1 wall to help, but all combinations i tried, would use more than 4x2 space in total. So i decided to try like that in about 10 prisioners. All of them took the shower in their cell and it has to be design as a shower room that 1x1 block, otherwise, even if i switch from shower to free time in the regime, they won't use it. Since i saw them using the bed, shower, toilet, television and phone, it seemed to work just fine. So now with over 100 and all cells are like that, it works as it should.
The only "sidedown" which isn't really a problem, is during the day when there is free time, some may want to take a shower and they will do it in someone else's cell, it's not a big deal, but... Well, you know, if i saw someone using the shower of my cell, i would revenge. :twisted:

About the laundry, it works fine as well. Sometimes i see about 10 or more prisioners just stopped in the laundry room, but i think it's normal duo several reasons. As soon as there are work, they all start to do it. I guess i have too many prisioners working there.
RayvenQ
level0

Re: Cell and prison design

Postby RayvenQ » Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:11 pm

RuneRifle wrote:Hey guys, I was wondering what kinds of designs for your cells and prisons you have come up with. Do you give them all the luxury they can ever want or are you just banging them into a 2x3 cell and mashing as many prisoners together as you can?

Your regime strikes me as a bit inefficient, you have lots of different things going on so your prisoners spend a lot of time going to and fro with where they need to be, my usual regime goes

11PM-6AM Sleep
6am-8am Free Time (if they need to shower, they will, if nto they wont, and will take care of their other needs)
8am-10am Eating time
10am-7pm Work (Gets you a long stretch of work so that long tasks can generally get done
7pm-9pm Free time (lets them take care of their needs that have built up plus visit family)
9pm-11pm Eat

And ingame:

This regime is pretty decent with normal and low security prisoners, there may be a tussle now and then but hey, thats part of prison! You could swap Free time and eating around, so that people can see their visitors, but having people come straight into the canteen from just waking up tends to cause a dust up.

Free Time is better than using Yard time, as prisoners will take care of whatever needs they have to can can, wheras Yard makes them stuck in the Yard.
rydan
level1
level1

A couple of ideas

Postby rydan » Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:29 pm

Hey :)

A few things to mention from my own prisons. A regime with 6 hours sleep is plenty. Personally I make more money from 2x4 hour work shifts than 3x3 hour work shifts.

I like the idea with a personal shower, however has anyone tried stacking the shower head and drain on the same 1x1 tile? I'm pretty sure they can be built on one another, the question is does that make water overflow or not?
_alphaBeta_
level4
level4

Re: A couple of ideas

Postby _alphaBeta_ » Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:46 pm

rydan wrote:I like the idea with a personal shower, however has anyone tried stacking the shower head and drain on the same 1x1 tile? I'm pretty sure they can be built on one another, the question is does that make water overflow or not?

I saw another post about this. I believe drains only block water that's already on the ground.
Stormcaller3801
level0

Postby Stormcaller3801 » Tue Aug 20, 2013 12:50 am

Rydan my first cells had that setup, and it flooded. That led to me next using an L shaped drain pattern, and then the current double drain.

If I remember right it's good to have a Shower section of your regime simply because the Shower portion is when prisoners will swap out clothing (though they seem pretty reluctant anyhow- on a small map with regular prisoners they tend to be released before they decide to put on a new uniform).
JackTheHat
level1
level1

Postby JackTheHat » Thu Aug 29, 2013 7:27 pm

Stormcaller3801 wrote:...
SNIP

The maximum workshop options, as I can figure it. Three tables easily handles the necessary sheet metal and completed license plates in my daily shift, and one room can employ two cell blocks. I could have compacted the work stations down further, but after watching the pathing on the prisoners and workers, I decided an open grid design would work best for getting pieces from place to place quickly. Again, a metal detector at the door to catch contraband. It's worth noting I keep normal doors on workshops and the canteen to cater to the prisoners' freedom need.

SNIP

How do you get your workshop presses and saws to be placed properly? Mine always get placed in the wrong places, and move about when being used.

Plus deconstruct them sometimes make them unusable.
douglasrac
level1
level1

Postby douglasrac » Sun Sep 01, 2013 5:18 am

Your prisons look like hotels. Check my efficient cell block:

At the door of the cell block there is a metal detector. But since the Alpha 13 I removed because the prisoner are too angry and break the metal detector all the time.
Trollitito
level1
level1

Postby Trollitito » Sun Sep 01, 2013 9:34 am

douglasrac wrote:Your prisons look like hotels. Check my efficient cell block:

At the door of the cell block there is a metal detector. But since the Alpha 13 I removed because the prisoner are too angry and break the metal detector all the time.

I have to disagree with you. First, since alpha 13, your shower won't work on a cell unless you place a wall and a door to make the cell enclosure. But in my opinion, your cell is too big. In a small map, with that much of a cell, you won't be able to have too many prisoners, it could be more small and still have the bed, toilet and television.

But this is only my opinion, don't get me wrong, i'm not telling you how you should play.
douglasrac
level1
level1

Postby douglasrac » Sun Sep 01, 2013 10:33 pm

Big? Compared to the others posted here is the smallest one. And the shower is working. At least they use it in the Free Time. If I set Shower time they use the one in the Yard, but the shower in their cells they use even during Sleep time.
Trollitito
level1
level1

Postby Trollitito » Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:35 am

It's not the smallest one, if you check the one i posted before, it's even smaller and got phones on it. Anyway, that design doesn't work anymore.

In your case, why don't you switch from shower time to freetime? So, the ones who needs shower, they'll use it. If that works well, it's too bad i didn't tried it before. :roll:
douglasrac
level1
level1

Postby douglasrac » Tue Sep 03, 2013 2:55 am

I read somewhere that they need Shower time, otherwise they dont change clothes. With Free Time they take a shower and get Hygiene but don't change clothes. They need Shower time and a Free time after it do change clothes. Never tested tho.
I'm using this design and no shower time in Alpha 13 only. And prisoners are always angry, so I don't know if its working. At least the Clothing need is being fulfilled.
Stormcaller3801
level0

Postby Stormcaller3801 » Tue Sep 03, 2013 3:11 am

JackTheHat wrote:How do you get your workshop presses and saws to be placed properly? Mine always get placed in the wrong places, and move about when being used.

Plus deconstruct them sometimes make them unusable.

Best as I can tell, this is due to two things.

The first is due to rotation- if you try to rotate your presses and saws, it apparently messes up how they appear on the map relative to the squares they're supposed to occupy. So I simply don't: I click and place, never hitting the R key.

The second, if I understand right, is related to the fact a given press or saw (or stack of metal) gets assigned to prisoners, meaning if you want one disassembled and moved, you need to have a storage area the prisoners can access. The one who owns it should move it to the storage area after it's disassembled, and then workers can grab it and rebuild it. At least that's my understanding.

Return to “General”