Homegrown Dedicated Server: DedCon 1.6.0_svn1038

Discuss your new mods and themes here

Moderator: Defcon moderators

Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Postby Ace Rimmer » Tue Jun 26, 2007 8:02 pm

NeoThermic wrote:Ok, so I've started a (hopefully long term) dedicated Diplomacy server. (Ded-Diplo Server).

If you see it, join and have fun :)

NeoThermic

Great! I've been having a craving for diplomacy lately and this will help. That other dedicated Diplo server needs a name change, you can't read half of it because of its length. I'm at work at the moment or I'd post the name for clarity.
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast...
NeoThermic
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff

Postby NeoThermic » Tue Jun 26, 2007 8:05 pm

Ace Rimmer wrote:
NeoThermic wrote:Ok, so I've started a (hopefully long term) dedicated Diplomacy server. (Ded-Diplo Server).

If you see it, join and have fun :)

NeoThermic

Great! I've been having a craving for diplomacy lately and this will help. That other dedicated Diplo server needs a name change, you can't read half of it because of its length. I'm at work at the moment or I'd post the name for clarity.

I scrapped the diplo server for a free-for-all standard one, and I'm also now running a 1v1 server. It seems that not enough people were about to want a diplo server :P

Although I'm taking requests. In theory I've got enough bandwidth for something like 15 people (players + specs), and I'm only using 10 (8 players, 2 specs), so there's approximately enough bandwidth for another 6 player server..

NeoThermic
Xocrates
level5
level5

Postby Xocrates » Tue Jun 26, 2007 8:07 pm

Really? Then wouldn't you happen to be so nice as to allow hosting for the school? I have it on my PC and I prefer not to have it running 24/7.

I'll provide my key if necessary.
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Postby Ace Rimmer » Tue Jun 26, 2007 8:09 pm

NeoThermic wrote:I scrapped the diplo server for a free-for-all standard one, and I'm also now running a 1v1 server. It seems that not enough people were about to want a diplo server :P

NeoThermic

:cry:

1v1 is good.
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast...
NeoThermic
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff

Postby NeoThermic » Tue Jun 26, 2007 8:13 pm

Xocrates wrote:Really? Then wouldn't you happen to be so nice as to allow hosting for the school? I have it on my PC and I prefer not to have it running 24/7.

I'll provide my key if necessary.

Sure, I'll host for the school if you want. How many players do you need/what settings? I've got enough spare keys to fuel this server, so don't worry about giving me one :)

NeoThermic
Xocrates
level5
level5

Postby Xocrates » Tue Jun 26, 2007 9:00 pm

It's just a typical 4 player, random territory game with an annoying bot. I want to check a few things in the bot file and I'll PM it (maybe with a link for download) to you.

bert_the_turtle
level5
level5

Postby bert_the_turtle » Tue Jun 26, 2007 9:45 pm

=dB=Ed wrote:Does Defcon need to be installed along with the Dedcon application on the server?
No, dedcon only tries to get the key from a Defcon installation. If you give it the key by other means, Defcon does not need to be installed.

=dB=Ed wrote:Also, ServerKey is a varible in the config as well is this a path or the key itself? and is setting both of these required?
Only one is required. For anyone but steam users, ServerKey is the one you want.

A small word of caution, all the text settings are sensitive to trailing whitespace. Make sure there are no spaces after the key.
=dB=Ed
level1
level1

Postby =dB=Ed » Tue Jun 26, 2007 11:54 pm

bert_the_turtle wrote:
=dB=Ed wrote:Does Defcon need to be installed along with the Dedcon application on the server?
No, dedcon only tries to get the key from a Defcon installation. If you give it the key by other means, Defcon does not need to be installed.

=dB=Ed wrote:Also, ServerKey is a varible in the config as well is this a path or the key itself? and is setting both of these required?
Only one is required. For anyone but steam users, ServerKey is the one you want.

A small word of caution, all the text settings are sensitive to trailing whitespace. Make sure there are no spaces after the key.

Still having problems here? And both ports (5008 and 5010) are UDP?
=dB=Ed
level1
level1

Postby =dB=Ed » Tue Jun 26, 2007 11:58 pm

And the key has the hyphens in it correct? Are there any quotation marks needed in any or the config entries? Sorry have been at this a while trying diffrent things to get auth going?
=dB=Ed
level1
level1

Postby =dB=Ed » Wed Jun 27, 2007 7:13 am

Finally got it working here sorry about all the questions and thank you for this wonderful contribution to the game! Honestly I doubt I would have ever played again had I not stumbled accross this thread and now theres a new 24/7 dedicated server out there and me on and lovin it thanks to you! I really appreciate it!
bert_the_turtle
level5
level5

Postby bert_the_turtle » Wed Jun 27, 2007 7:22 am

=dB=Ed wrote:Finally got it working here sorry about all the questions...
NP since I did not have to answer them, but I had already started, so for others who may have the same questions:

=dB=Ed wrote:And both ports (5008 and 5010) are UDP?
Yes, all communication is UDP. DedCon only uses one port (5010) by default, that is, that's the port on the server. The ports of the clients vary (usually 5011, but a NAT or different setup can change that) and the metaserver port that packets are sent to is 5008. The fact that the client ports vary mean that you have to allow all outgoing UDP traffic originating from port 5010, and the responses to that. You usually don't need to specially allow incoming traffic or handle port forwarding.

And no quotation marks around the authkey and the hyphens have to be in there.

Not only out of curiosity, what was your problem and what was the solution? You know, for others who stumble across the same thing.
=dB=Ed
level1
level1

Postby =dB=Ed » Wed Jun 27, 2007 6:55 pm

On my particular server win 2k3 (which may be part of the problem) the variables for authkey in the batch file was not being found by the loop batch and had to be placed explicitly.

Solution:

Code: Select all

REM runs the server with the specified settings in a loop

:restart:
.\dedcon.exe .\authkey.txt %1 %2 %3 %4 %5 %6 %7 %8 %9
goto restart

For what ever reason this seems to have solved the problem for me.
keger
level1
level1

Postby keger » Wed Jun 27, 2007 8:49 pm

Ace Rimmer wrote:Great! I've been having a craving for diplomacy lately and this will help. That other dedicated Diplo server needs a name change, you can't read half of it because of its length. I'm at work at the moment or I'd post the name for clarity.
The name has just been changed. Plus, there is a second one now (default gamemode, 6 players minimum). Both are on a 100 mbps connection. Both are running the latest version of DeDcon.

AKE Group Server #1 | Diplomacy 24/7
AKE Group Server #2 | Default 24/7

Maybe more to come (just need to buy the keys, and i don't have much money to spare atm).
NeoThermic
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff

Postby NeoThermic » Wed Jun 27, 2007 8:52 pm

keger wrote:(default gamemode, 6 players minimum)

Minimum? Wow, how'd you get defcon to run with more than 6 players? ;)

As a bit of advice, I find it decent to set the minimum to 4, as you're more likely to get 4 people into a server quicker than you get 6 into a server.

NeoThermic
keger
level1
level1

Postby keger » Wed Jun 27, 2007 9:09 pm

6 players games are always more interesting than 4 players games ;)
Plus, when you have 4 people on the server, you get 6 a few seconds after.

The server is almost always hosting a game so I don't really think 6 players minimum is bad ;)

btw, the AKE Group servers ports are 5010 (first one) and 5011 (second one).

Return to “Mod Projects”