Aww, no more open prisons?

(previously 'DEVELOPER') Private forum for registered community members. To register, please visit www.prison-architect.com/register.

Moderator: NBJeff

wmf
level0

Aww, no more open prisons?

Postby wmf » Fri Aug 30, 2013 4:14 am

Cells, holding cells and solitary cells must now be "Enclosed", which means surrounded by walls and doors.
There will be no more building tons of open cells in a giant indoor area without any walls seperating them.

What's the justification for this change? Personally I like creating super-dense open-plan prisons. I realize it's cheaper to have no interior walls, but I think it could eventually be balanced by the fact that an open prison needs to keep the prisoners happier to prevent epic riots. If PA is going to allow different play styles, why not this one?
HerrJoebob
level4
level4

Re: Aww, no more open prisons?

Postby HerrJoebob » Fri Aug 30, 2013 5:51 am

wmf wrote:
Cells, holding cells and solitary cells must now be "Enclosed", which means surrounded by walls and doors.
There will be no more building tons of open cells in a giant indoor area without any walls seperating them.

What's the justification for this change? Personally I like creating super-dense open-plan prisons. I realize it's cheaper to have no interior walls, but I think it could eventually be balanced by the fact that an open prison needs to keep the prisoners happier to prevent epic riots. If PA is going to allow different play styles, why not this one?

You can still make giant holding cells and beat the prisoners out of that petty 'privacy' need. This is a big step toward having layout options!
Xoligy
level3
level3

Postby Xoligy » Fri Aug 30, 2013 12:42 pm

I have no problems with this update, after all your ment to make a prison not a homeless shelter.

Might make people learn the game rather than going for the easy option :roll:
nwagenmakers
level0

Postby nwagenmakers » Fri Aug 30, 2013 1:28 pm

Well, it does hurt the prison that I was working on. Although it might be a bit of a luxury: in my 200+ prison each cell contains a (one-block) shower with shower-head. Unfortunately this will not work anymore from Alpha13.

I do like this setup for my prison, and I think it would be a shame to have to reconstruct the whole prison while I'm not 'exploiting' this feature as commented by Chris ("There will be no more building tons of open cells in a giant indoor area without any walls seperating them.")

Any thoughts? Should I write a bug/artifact for this specific situation?
MAdMaN
level4
level4

Postby MAdMaN » Fri Aug 30, 2013 1:42 pm

nwagenmakers wrote:Well, it does hurt the prison that I was working on. Although it might be a bit of a luxury: in my 200+ prison each cell contains a (one-block) shower with shower-head. Unfortunately this will not work anymore from Alpha13.

I do like this setup for my prison, and I think it would be a shame to have to reconstruct the whole prison while I'm not 'exploiting' this feature as commented by Chris ("There will be no more building tons of open cells in a giant indoor area without any walls seperating them.")

It's not a bug. The game is seeing the cell as not enclosed as it has an open path to another room (the one block shower).
_alphaBeta_
level4
level4

Postby _alphaBeta_ » Fri Aug 30, 2013 1:45 pm

You can still have showers with cells and holding cells if you really want to. Just install a jail door and lock it open.

As for the change, I strongly support it. Having a cell / solitary cell / holding cell in the middle of a building, and having the prisoner stay within the confines of it, felt silly.
Xoligy
level3
level3

Postby Xoligy » Fri Aug 30, 2013 1:46 pm

nwagenmakers wrote:Well, it does hurt the prison that I was working on. Although it might be a bit of a luxury: in my 200+ prison each cell contains a (one-block) shower with shower-head. Unfortunately this will not work anymore from Alpha13.

Nope, its not a bug.

Cells are ment to have four walls and a door.
lets say we decide to copys a prison design you build it without doors and i build it with doors your going to have the prison built probably before me because your saving $40,000. The game needs to be made harder, exploits like this need to be sorted in my opinion otehrwise alot of players are not paying teh game properly and just make door less cells/holding block areas.
Causeless
level2
level2

Postby Causeless » Fri Aug 30, 2013 2:36 pm

No, you misunderstand. IF you have a one block shower inside each cell, the game thinks that the cell isn't enclosed.
Safilpope
level1
level1

Postby Safilpope » Fri Aug 30, 2013 2:37 pm

Showers still work in cells, just don't zone it as a shower. Only problem with this is you cant designate a 'shower time'
scouttech
level0

Postby scouttech » Fri Aug 30, 2013 4:06 pm

Safilpope wrote:Showers still work in cells, just don't zone it as a shower. Only problem with this is you cant designate a 'shower time'

The shower still works but no one uses it. I started removing the one square shower areas I had in cells, hoping the prisoners wouild still use them, and found they would walk into other cells and use the shower there.
Coelus
level0

Postby Coelus » Fri Aug 30, 2013 6:38 pm

Put the 1 block showers in the hallway of your cell block. Set shower time to free time and they will shower when they want to.

Return to “Community Members”