[Suggestion] Get rid of Yard needing to be secured by a door

(previously 'DEVELOPER') Private forum for registered community members. To register, please visit www.prison-architect.com/register.

Moderator: NBJeff

yomamaisonfier
level0

[Suggestion] Get rid of Yard needing to be secured by a door

Postby yomamaisonfier » Tue Aug 06, 2013 5:35 am

I keep my yard in the open, right in the middle of my prison. But the fact that one of the Yard's requirements is to have it behind a door is unnecessary in my opinion. My whole prison is surrounded by a perimeter and the only way out is the front gate. Making the Yard secure is cumbersome for anyone who needs to go through it, like guards going to a fight, Riot Police taking out a riot, or Firemen taking out a fire. Or it would be helpful if someone knew a way to change the requirement for a room so I can get rid of it myself. Thanks.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Tue Aug 06, 2013 5:55 am

Hrm? There does not need to be (or, at least, I have never needed) a door right on the Yard, just no clear path to anything that is "outside" of the prison. Can you post a screenshot of your setup?

xander
HerrJoebob
level4
level4

Postby HerrJoebob » Tue Aug 06, 2013 6:25 am

xander wrote:Hrm? There does not need to be (or, at least, I have never needed) a door right on the Yard, just no clear path to anything that is "outside" of the prison. Can you post a screenshot of your setup?

xander

x2, if this requirement is causing you trouble in the situation you describe then you've done something terribly wrong.
VoiD88
level5
level5

Postby VoiD88 » Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:51 am

When your whole prison is surrounded by a perimeter as you said, that counts as the door behind which the yard needs to be. Said door doesn't have to be part of the yard.
Life is NOT like a box of chocolates, it's more like a jar of jalapeños: What you do today might burn your a** tomorrow.
~Garfield
Pogo
level2
level2

Postby Pogo » Wed Aug 07, 2013 1:32 pm

While what these replies have said is completely accurate, I've had it act slightly buggy on me. Sometimes just waiting a few minutes makes the red icon disappear. Sometimes it can help to dezone and rezone the yard (this is free).
NoOpen
level1
level1

Postby NoOpen » Wed Aug 07, 2013 1:40 pm

Pogo wrote:While what these replies have said is completely accurate, I've had it act slightly buggy on me. Sometimes just waiting a few minutes makes the red icon disappear. Sometimes it can help to dezone and rezone the yard (this is free).

That's Alpha in its intended glory. (Although the waiting issue I can only make the assumption is exactly the same as water when loading a game)
Person012345
level2
level2

Postby Person012345 » Wed Aug 07, 2013 2:01 pm

Sansavarous
level0

Postby Sansavarous » Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:31 pm

You might want to put a fence all the way around the perimeter of your land.

Don't build it right at the edge, there are known bugs with fences right on the edge of the land, build like two or three in from the edge.

Fences are free right so there is no reason not to do it.

You've got the right idea about an airlock entrance, make it staff only in the deployment.
Errorblankfield
level1
level1

Postby Errorblankfield » Sat Aug 24, 2013 4:24 pm

Guys, this happens all the time and it's really annoying. I've found just building a door on the edge of the yard works wonders in these situations. The door never gets used of course, and it costs money, but it works.

Once you met the requirement, I oft just remove the door without issue, but until you have one ON the yard, it throws a fit.

In extreme cases, I have to fence it off with a door then remove the fence.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Sat Aug 24, 2013 4:38 pm

Errorblankfield wrote:Guys, this happens all the time and it's really annoying. I've found just building a door on the edge of the yard works wonders in these situations. The door never gets used of course, and it costs money, but it works.

Once you met the requirement, I oft just remove the door without issue, but until you have one ON the yard, it throws a fit.

I have never once experienced this. Can you post some screenshots of what you are doing, demonstrating a non-functional Yard with no door and a functional Yard with a door?

xander
_alphaBeta_
level4
level4

Postby _alphaBeta_ » Sat Aug 24, 2013 5:42 pm

All this requirement is trying to do is make sure that prisoners can't get from the yard to freedom. This should really go without saying of any area or room in a prison. On the game mechanics level, I believe that the game will check to see if there's an open path between a corner of the map and the yard. Open path meaning no doors, walls, fences etc. Doors that are open or locked open do not constitute an open path.

I personally haven't seen this either. Sometimes it does take a few seconds for the red explanation point sign to update.
Errorblankfield
level1
level1

Postby Errorblankfield » Sat Aug 24, 2013 8:14 pm

xander wrote:
Errorblankfield wrote:Guys, this happens all the time and it's really annoying. I've found just building a door on the edge of the yard works wonders in these situations. The door never gets used of course, and it costs money, but it works.

I have never once experienced this. Can you post some screenshots of what you are doing, demonstrating a non-functional Yard with no door and a functional Yard with a door?

xander

Imagine a large building with a hole cut out in the middle (like a doughnut).

Place yard somewhere in the middle of the cut out.

That's it.

>_> If it didn't happen literally every time I go for a yard this way, I would post a pic but it's not worth the hassle as it happens consistently.
I know it's not my set up at fault as I can install/remove a door and it's fine.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Sat Aug 24, 2013 8:22 pm

Errorblankfield wrote:
xander wrote:

xander

Imagine a large building with a hole cut out in the middle (like a doughnut).

Place yard somewhere in the middle of the cut out.

That's it.

>_> If it didn't happen literally every time I go for a yard this way, I would post a pic but it's not worth the hassle as it happens consistently.
I know it's not my set up at fault as I can install/remove a door and it's fine.

Without a picture, I have no idea what you are talking about. I suspect that you are "doing it wrong." You are describing a circle---how do the corners match up? That could be your problem.

xander
Last edited by xander on Mon Aug 26, 2013 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Errorblankfield
level1
level1

Postby Errorblankfield » Sat Aug 24, 2013 8:43 pm

Clearly I'm that stupid.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Sat Aug 24, 2013 9:58 pm

Errorblankfield wrote:Clearly I'm that stupid.

I have no idea. You aren't describing your problem in a way that makes any sense to me, and you refuse to post a screenshot or your prison. What do you expect me, or anyone else, to do?

xander

Return to “Community Members”