General chit-chat and minor questions about just about anything

Moderator: NBJeff

drakhri
level1
level1

[Idea] Robots

Postby drakhri » Sun Aug 18, 2013 3:17 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m8AP6SZ ... =endscreen

Skip to about 7:30 to see what I mean. They are automatic 'cars' aka AGV that deliver laundry/food.
Xoligy
level3
level3

Postby Xoligy » Sun Aug 18, 2013 3:31 am

No, just no i have prisoners to do slave labour!

Besides the more path finding in the game and the more items on the screen the more you will just complain about lag.
drakhri
level1
level1

Postby drakhri » Sun Aug 18, 2013 3:41 am

Nah, can set them on rails. much simpler path finding would allow more things on the screen.
Xoligy
level3
level3

Postby Xoligy » Sun Aug 18, 2013 3:46 am

Nope still a bad idea

besides this is not the place for ideas register you key and post on the dev forum.
drakhri
level1
level1

Postby drakhri » Sun Aug 18, 2013 3:48 am

Saying it's a bad idea without saying why is fail. Please don't post if you have nothing to say.
Xoligy
level3
level3

Postby Xoligy » Sun Aug 18, 2013 3:56 am

How have i failed? I posted four reasons...

1. Added path finding
2. Added lag which you will complain about
3. Have prisoners to do the jobs of your "robots"
4. Your posting in the wrong section

I could probably write more but like i said this is not the place for ideas or arguments about them ideas.

Oh #5 just a gimmick you saw in a tv show and thought was cool.
christopher1006
level5
level5

Postby christopher1006 » Sun Aug 18, 2013 4:32 am

Xoligy wrote:How have i failed? I posted four reasons...

1. Added path finding
2. Added lag which you will complain about
3. Have prisoners to do the jobs of your "robots"
4. Your posting in the wrong section

I could probably write more but like i said this is not the place for ideas or arguments about them ideas.

Oh #5 just a gimmick you saw in a tv show and thought was cool.

1. This shouldn't matter especially if it's using a rail system so the path finding would already be pre-calculated so it'd merely be a when to start, when to stop which would be the only things to calculate after that.
2. There's no guarantee that simply because someone makes a suggestion that they'll complain about lag.
3. The whole point of the suggestion is to automate it so as to provide more security for a certain aspect of your prison, prisoner labor is useful but I don't want my maximum security prisoners in the laundry and especially not the kitchen where they can steal weapons. On top of that I don't want to be sending my poor little minimum security guy to the maximum security block where he's got a 90 percent chance of getting beaten to death for fun.
4. This is true. You need to register for the developer forum, while you can post ideas here they tend to get more of a response in the developers forum and Chris does occasionally look through it for interesting ideas so I recommend reposting your idea there.
5. What does it have to be in order to be worth suggesting? Shall we make people write a short essay over the subject of their proposal for it to qualify as a proper suggestion and then have the mods delete the rest of the threads?

In direct reference to the OP, I think it could be interesting. There could be a loading area in the kitchen/canteen and the laundry where prisoners assigned to work there(probably minimum security or medium security prisoners) will load up the AGVs and they'll be sent by a rail line that can be sent to to an area such as, for example, your maximum security prisoners which you have completely sectioned off from the rest of your prison. This way you have to risk minimum personnel injuries and negates any opportunity a prisoner on the receiving end of this program might have had of obtaining contraband from the kitchen or laundry area.
Yes, that is a penguin with rabies. Deal with it.
Xoligy
level3
level3

Postby Xoligy » Sun Aug 18, 2013 4:45 am

christopher1006 wrote:<snip>

Like i said this isn't the section to ideas and argue about them but here are my very short answers

1. True, but now you have to think about other things that can happen like random events of accidents and breakdowns
2. True, but more items on the screen will decrease fps and add lag to the game, people are already complaining and i see lag from time to time myself
3. We dont know what the plans are for later game so we can not talk about security, a for automation what automation? They carry things from A to B someone still needs to load them and from the 2seconds of the clip i saw i could walk faster than that robot so it would actually be slower than a prisoner?
4. Na.
5. It needs to be in the right section for a start with a better and more indepth explanation of the idea other than "i saw it here" all he's said is its a delivery system nothing more.

Post the idea in the right section and i'll defiantly go more in depth, besides its not me that chooses what goes in the game, he said "add robots they deliver stuff" i said "no" with a short answer why, why write a massive detailed post with my reasonings when he can not be bothered to write why it should be added or in the right section other than i saw it on youtube???
drakhri
level1
level1

Postby drakhri » Sun Aug 18, 2013 4:16 pm

christopher1006 wrote:In direct reference to the OP, I think it could be interesting. There could be a loading area in the kitchen/canteen and the laundry where prisoners assigned to work there(probably minimum security or medium security prisoners) will load up the AGVs and they'll be sent by a rail line that can be sent to to an area such as, for example, your maximum security prisoners which you have completely sectioned off from the rest of your prison. This way you have to risk minimum personnel injuries and negates any opportunity a prisoner on the receiving end of this program might have had of obtaining contraband from the kitchen or laundry area.

I also like how they have an underground system for the AGVs to travel in; it could lead to another potential security hole that prisoners could escape through. The system could also be used to further limit the number of areas prisoners are allowed to travel in giving us a bit more control. I don't particularly care for my prisoners working in the laundry/kitchen, for example. Modern versions of AVGs could be a lot faster and would also give us a reason to have engineers on staff.

Xoligy wrote:
christopher1006 wrote:<snip>

Like i said this isn't the section to ideas and argue about them but here are my very short answers

1. True, but now you have to think about other things that can happen like random events of accidents and breakdowns
2. True, but more items on the screen will decrease fps and add lag to the game, people are already complaining and i see lag from time to time myself
3. We dont know what the plans are for later game so we can not talk about security, a for automation what automation? They carry things from A to B someone still needs to load them and from the 2seconds of the clip i saw i could walk faster than that robot so it would actually be slower than a prisoner?
4. Na.
5. It needs to be in the right section for a start with a better and more indepth explanation of the idea other than "i saw it here" all he's said is its a delivery system nothing more.

Post the idea in the right section and i'll defiantly go more in depth, besides its not me that chooses what goes in the game, he said "add robots they deliver stuff" i said "no" with a short answer why, why write a massive detailed post with my reasonings when he can not be bothered to write why it should be added or in the right section other than i saw it on youtube???

No, your reasoning is bad.

It came from a real life prison, not youtube. It's merely posted on youtube... which is what youtube is for...

1) More depth is bad?
2) The current lag isn't caused by the number of items... learn more about texture fill rates. Also, because the current alpha doesn't have retail quality code we should just stop coming up with ways to improve gameplay? How does that make sense on any level?
3) We can talk about plans for later game whether we know about it or not. We can talk about anything. They load and unload themselves and the speed isn't what's important. They work 24 hours a day and those particular AGVs are 20 years old.

5) General section can be used for ideas... it's general. See sticky.

The fallacies...
Xoligy
level3
level3

Postby Xoligy » Sun Aug 18, 2013 4:39 pm

Sorry but we can talk about nothing until you post in the right section as all ideas for the game are in the dev section why are you refusing to post there?

The idea might be in a prison but all you have said is "idea robots they deliver things i saw them here" you will find not many people will help you expand on the idea till you post it in the reight section maybe you should check the other ideas posts in general and all there responses and see what i say is true rather than trying to change the current rules that they use because, its just not going to work sorry.

Btw if you do actually post in the right section its better to explain you idea better

What you want to add
Why you want to add it (other than you saw it in a prison on youtube)
The things it can do (all its jobs not just deliever from a to b)
Any random events that could happen
Any downsides to having it.

Like i said post in the dev more people will comment until then the idea will just get lost. By the way you can keep saying ive given no reasons and that they are bad it does not bother me but, everything im doing is to make you followe the curernt rules in place and help you out, but seems your not seeing that oh well.
paktsardines
level5
level5

Postby paktsardines » Mon Aug 19, 2013 1:57 am

General section can be used for ideas...

No. The developer forum is for those paying customers who wish to contribute to the game's development, whether than be through bug reports, suggestions or mods. If you have not paid for the game, you cannot expect to contribute to its development.

Furthermore, posting suggestions in general is largely pointless as they will almost certainly be missed by the devs, who make a point of reading all the Developer forum posts.
drakhri
level1
level1

Postby drakhri » Tue Aug 20, 2013 1:29 am

paktsardines wrote:
General section can be used for ideas...

No. The developer forum is for those paying customers who wish to contribute to the game's development, whether than be through bug reports, suggestions or mods. If you have not paid for the game, you cannot expect to contribute to its development.

Furthermore, posting suggestions in general is largely pointless as they will almost certainly be missed by the devs, who make a point of reading all the Developer forum posts.

jelco wrote:In an attempt to keep the forums organized, I would like to remind everyone participating in the Prison Architect Alpha that any Alpha-specific questions, bug reports etc. should go in the Developer subforum, not here in the General subforum. You are of course free to share screenshots etc. over here if you feel like it, but bug reports do not belong here.

Actually you are wrong. I can and will post my idea here.
paktsardines
level5
level5

Postby paktsardines » Tue Aug 20, 2013 2:55 am

Sure you can, but why would you? It is stupid and pointless to post suggestions here.
. Your suggestion will be overlooked here.
. You are being rude and selfish. It is already hard enough to keep track of all the suggestions in the Developer Forum. Why do you insist on adding to the problem by posting here as well?
. By posting here it is guaranteed that you have not searched the Developer forum to see if your suggestion has already been discussed.
. There is no reason for you to not post in the developer forum.
Xoligy
level3
level3

Postby Xoligy » Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:24 am

Paktsardines, just let this post die im fed up seeing his name now :P
drakhri
level1
level1

Postby drakhri » Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:23 am

paktsardines wrote:

Sure you can, but why would you? It is stupid and pointless to post suggestions here.
. Your suggestion will be overlooked here.
. You are being rude and selfish. It is already hard enough to keep track of all the suggestions in the Developer Forum. Why do you insist on adding to the problem by posting here as well?
. By posting here it is guaranteed that you have not searched the Developer forum to see if your suggestion has already been discussed.
. There is no reason for you to not post in the developer forum.

It hasn't been overlooked by you.
How is it rude at all? What's rude are trolls bringing nothing productive to the thread.
Maybe you should consider that I don't want it in the dev forum?
There are several reasons for me to not post in the dev forum.

Xoligy wrote:Paktsardines, just let this post die im fed up seeing his name now :P

Says the troll as he posts in the thread...

Rather than explain to either of you 'why', I'm going to again ask that you keep the replies relevant.
Your opinion of what forum this should go in does not matter to anyone.
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=troll&l=1

Return to “General”