Who use Holding Cells are permanent places?

General chit-chat and minor questions about just about anything

Moderator: NBJeff

douglasrac
level1
level1

Who use Holding Cells are permanent places?

Postby douglasrac » Thu Aug 15, 2013 11:30 pm

Hi,

I'm currently using Holding Cells are permanent places. I mix max and min prisoners with no problem at all. It works great.
I'm from a latin american country, and it seems absurd that each prisoner would have their own private cells. Anyone using the same scheme?

Xoligy
level3
level3

Postby Xoligy » Thu Aug 15, 2013 11:47 pm

Have used it to start up a proper prison with individual cells but past that i dont see the point, your not playing the game if your just making one huge holding cell, there is no challenge nad no tactics are needed or issues to over come.

In later alphas it will probably change anyway, prisoners will get aggroed by being surrounded by other prisoners all the time, bulling could happen absolutely anything in the future to make the game more interesting.
douglasrac
level1
level1

Postby douglasrac » Thu Aug 15, 2013 11:55 pm

How getting individual cells brings you any challenge, issues or the need of tactics?
I still have canteen, workshop, laundry and every other thing.
iScripters
level2
level2

Postby iScripters » Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:41 am

I think having a large holding cell brings more challenge tbh.. there could be fights at any time with most of the prisoners involved.
Xoligy
level3
level3

Postby Xoligy » Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:00 am

iScripters wrote:I think having a large holding cell brings more challenge tbh.. there could be fights at any time with most of the prisoners involved.

Fights and riots? I wish! Maybe if i was playing Alpha 10 with laundry riots but since then there is never really a fight unless i do something wrong like make a hole in a fence and then go "Why the hell are my prisoners running to the gate?!"

douglasrac wrote:How getting individual cells brings you any challenge, issues or the need of tactics?
I still have canteen, workshop, laundry and every other thing.

Sounds to me like you have not tried it, why dont you?
In fact load up alpha 10 with the laundry riots and make a working prison with individual cells i did it =)
HerrJoebob
level4
level4

Postby HerrJoebob » Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:06 am

I did try this in the past. It worked well for me, but for some reason that setup got extremely laggy once I had I think 80 or 100 beds in there (don't remember how many prisoners there were).
Novbert
level2
level2

Postby Novbert » Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:40 am

douglasrac wrote:I still have canteen, workshop, laundry and every other thing.

Do you also have a Yard? A common room? I found those rather pointless.
Ric666
level3
level3

Postby Ric666 » Fri Aug 16, 2013 10:59 am

I kinda see it as exploiting the game & something that wouldn't happen in RL so I never use holding cells for longer than required (just until I build their own cell which is usually same day).
Although saying that, I usually have a bit more money that what you start with so I can afford single cells. (I use a very old grants mod)

Each to their own though :)
Xoligy
level3
level3

Postby Xoligy » Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:30 pm

Ric666 wrote:I kinda see it as exploiting the game & something that wouldn't happen in RL so I never use holding cells for longer than required (just until I build their own cell which is usually same day).
Although saying that, I usually have a bit more money that what you start with so I can afford single cells. (I use a very old grants mod)

Each to their own though :)

I believe with the 90k you can get started on building cells from the start just can not remember off top of my head as ive not played the normal files in over two months. (month off nw on the finincial mod)
douglasrac
level1
level1

Postby douglasrac » Fri Aug 16, 2013 3:43 pm

Sounds to me like you have not tried it, why dont you?
In fact load up alpha 10 with the laundry riots and make a working prison with individual cells i did it =)

Yes I tried of course. I tried and tested every single feature of the game. But just like you said, there is "never really a fight unless i do something wrong". It doesn't matter if they have individual cells or common cells, the peace is always there. So I see no point in spending much more money just to make individual cells as common cells work just as fine. I prefer to use the extra money and extra space to make larger workshops etc.

Do you also have a Yard? A common room? I found those rather pointless.

I never had the need for a common room. For me is a different name for Yard. I put extra showers and toilets in the Yard, so the prisoners can easily reach them after a long day at work.

Also phone booths seems to replace visiting rooms very well. If its required to be Free Time in order to attend visitors that will never happen. I won't lose $10,000 in license plates for 3 prisoners see their family. Shup up, go work and call your son at the end of the day!
Xoligy
level3
level3

Postby Xoligy » Fri Aug 16, 2013 4:22 pm

douglasrac wrote:Yes I tried of course. I tried and tested every single feature of the game. But just like you said, there is "never really a fight unless i do something wrong". It doesn't matter if they have individual cells or common cells, the peace is always there. So I see no point in spending much more money just to make individual cells as common cells work just as fine. I prefer to use the extra money and extra space to make larger workshops etc.

Well i guess if you want to make crappy work camps then thats your choice i guess, to me it sounds boring 1 massive holding cell multiple prisoners no planning, no strategy on trying to sort out issues with laundry. Like i said i hope they add something to make this a bad idea maybe even limiting the size and quantity of holding cells you can have.

Dont see why you brought a prison sim just to make a work camp though as forwasting this virtual currency isnt that the aim? After all you make a rediculous amount per day.

Anyway out of this thread, your work camp is boring.
Pogo
level2
level2

Postby Pogo » Fri Aug 16, 2013 4:40 pm

I don't see any reason to criticize another player for the way he wants to run his prison. It's a simulator, yes, but part of the point of simulator games is to ask "what if" and try out scenarios that aren't necessarily seen in real life.

As it stands, Prison Architect is still in alpha. The simulator still has a lot of work that needs to be done on it, and as such, we don't see any of the negative consequences of laying a prison out as the original poster described.

Hopefully, in the future, the simulator just gets better and better. I don't think that the game should straight out prevent a player from doing anything (other than simple things like setting minimum size for rooms). Instead, I think it's better for the simulator's consequences to set sort of boundaries on what can be accomplished. If a massive holding cell results in nightly riots, but I'm okay with nightly riots in my prison, then I shouldn't be prevented from doing that. If I can hire enough guards to make sure that death and serious injury is rare despite the frequent riots, then hey, maybe that's how my prison operates. The OP said he was from South America and that this is a more realistic model of a South American prison anyway. I don't know whether that's true or not, but why prevent him from building his prison that way just because that's not how your local prisons are made?

I mean, is anyone really playing Prison Architect just to make cookie cutter copies of real life prisons and see how it operates? Maybe a few, but this is probably rare behavior.

I think most people playing Prison Architect, and most people who play games of this genre in general play the game because they think they'd be good at designing prisons (or hospitals, or airports, or whatever), maybe even better than people who do this job in real life, and this game allows them the opportunity to at least somewhat experience that fantasy without all the stuff you'd actually have to do to try this out.
douglasrac
level1
level1

Postby douglasrac » Fri Aug 16, 2013 6:37 pm

I highly doubt there will be any kind of limitation like this. We are talking about Introversion. They usually leave the player free to do whatever. See Uplink, where you can just hack into a bank and transfer huge sums of money to your account and easily have money to buy whatever.

But I do agree some consequences should exist. Of course having your own private cells makes one more peaceful than having to sleep in a crowed room. But it should be possible both ways always. I would like to build a prison like in Venezuela, where the guards just prevent prisoners to go out. The rest is up to them. They deliver food and the prisoner do whatever they want with it. They kill each other and let it be. A prison ruled by prisoners.

For now it seems very easy to keep peace, and I see no reason to stop contraband as they can use mobile phones or even have knifes and the peace still continues. Also it seems to have no consequence by mixing max security with min security prisoners.
Xoligy
level3
level3

Postby Xoligy » Fri Aug 16, 2013 6:55 pm

Made some nice points there douglas, some that i have often thought about and hope appear in the future.

Like you said there are no issues mixing prisoners this could be a random event that happens when max sec pic on min sec depending on there personality profile etc. And i agree at the moment it is far too easy to keep the peace, this is why i mentioned alpha 10 because people were complaining about laundry riots but at the moment the only thing thats happening is that new content is added so guess for more of a challenge have to wait till beta when the fine tuning starts.

I also agree that at the moment there is not much point in stopping contraband, besides they dont really use it as far as i can tell and we have no clue how it will be used in the future (drunk people staggering, calls mean gangs appear and attempt to rescue there friend more drugs etc who knows?).

Im just playing with paktsardines mod its added a little challange but soon as ive done that i'll take another break from the game, built far too many prisons now that there isn't much challenge.

Anyway like i said keep playing how you like, there is nothing stopping you for now. A for the uplink reference yes i played that many years ago, and thats what some hackers use to do anyway transfer money into thre accounts so it was fitting to the game, as for Venezuela prisons, ive only seen one similar to that on prison break, though i have seen american prisons using gyms as dorms etc.

As the game progresses maybe prices and grants will change and be added. Anyway time to make this curry otherwise im gonna starve!
s20dan
level0

Re: Who use Holding Cells are permanent places?

Postby s20dan » Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:29 pm

douglasrac wrote:Anyone using the same scheme?

Nope, but I'm going to from now on :) Thats looks ike a great idea.

Return to “General”