[Suggestion] Multiplayer and Prisoner Run

(previously 'DEVELOPER') Private forum for registered community members. To register, please visit www.prison-architect.com/register.

Moderator: NBJeff

Would you like to see this in the game, even if it were an expansion?

Yes
55%
No
33%
Maybe, if certain parts were changed
12%

Total votes: 58
ghostly_smoke
level0

[Suggestion] Multiplayer and Prisoner Run

Postby ghostly_smoke » Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:52 am

I feel like it would be fun to be able to connect to another friend's prison and be a prisoner in their jail. Trying to escape (tunnel or walk out the front door), incite a riot, or knocking off guards one at a time. All the while, the warden/the prison architect has to maintain order.

My thoughts are there is 2 ways to play.

First, the people being the prisoners are doing time for crimes and are trying to make their sentences shorter with good behavior or making a run for it. This would be more of free roam mode. Where things like being able to rat someone out to the warden gets you a reduced sentence, but run the risk of getting you stabbed while in jail or if you mess with the wrong maximum security prisoner, have a hit squad waiting for you on your day of release. Possibly reporting fights, where a guard may not be present, to help prevent a riot and keep your life in the process.

Otherwise make your great escape, by talking to other prisoners and aggravating the situation to the point of a riot/fights. If working the scene isn't your thing, then finding a spoon may be just your thing. Dig a tunnel to freedom. Starting out, you would need to be able to search areas (most likely via hot key) for useful items to either escape or wear down the prison. Grab a knife from the kitchen, locate a guard all by his lonesome, and tear down the prison one guard at a time. This could become another mode of competitive escape with teams or free-for-all. Giving players abilities (only in competitive mode), such as planting weapons in enemies cells, destroying any of their possible work (tunnels, stashed tools), fight them in the yard (blindly guessing, if it's another player), or just plain old make use of solitary confinement as a means of uninterrupted work.

Second option, the prisoner players are doing time, but they're escape artists. Testing the prison for any faults, where they might be able to slip out of jail. This would be good for team and solo style, making it a race to escape or leave no soldier behind effort. An escape date would be set by the players, with a corresponding payment for the window of opportunity. Upon a successful escape, they receive their benefits. Failure, and no one goes home. Beyond the point of no return, only one option remains; the electric chair, if the current architect has included one. Otherwise a nice quiet ride on the bus to "The Hole" to end your game.

If an architect is playing this mode with friends or random visitors, the architect needs to play the warden and weed out the unwelcome guests. Foiling their plans and giving them a permanent cell in solitary confinement.

An endless mode of this game type would be to test your friend's or your own prison. No benefits for escaping, other than the knowledge that your prison is never secure.

Architects should be able to be present in all game modes as the warden or another prisoner. Architects choosing to be wardens will need to thwart any attempts of escape. Escape Artist mode is the only situation were an architect can single out prisoners, branding them escape artists and cost them their cash.

All prisoners, except escape artists (they will have researched the prison first), will have a fog of war that starts you out with a completely black screen/prison. You won't be able to see any of the prisons inner workings, until you're inside. Exposing only the areas you've been, and creating a second fog of war that will only gray the prison areas. Leaving you with a map, like a mental map (You don't know where to go, until you've gone there). Things like doors could display a name on the map, like security room, kitchen, office of ....; leaving a black spot, unless you choose to enter.

I feel like this post is getting too big, so I'll end it here. If anyone from Introversion would like to hear further details on this idea, please send me an email, I'm welcome to share them. :D

Also, reading this and looking it over several times, this may almost need to be it's own expansion. I hope some of you like the idea of multiplayer and my couple of game modes for it. Share any of your thoughts on it or what possibly else would be cool to see. Enjoy, and hope to see this option some day. :)
henke37
level2
level2

Postby henke37 » Mon Aug 05, 2013 4:12 pm

That's a good and new idea.

The fog of war system that you present could be the oppertunerty the devs have been looking for to use the roof rendering code again.
Jasonmm92
level1
level1

Postby Jasonmm92 » Tue Aug 06, 2013 1:23 am

quality post , quality ideas
Thorstoned
level0

Postby Thorstoned » Tue Aug 06, 2013 5:43 am

Multiplayer isn't going to happen.
ghostly_smoke
level0

Postby ghostly_smoke » Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:47 am

Thorstoned wrote:Multiplayer isn't going to happen.

Well I guess if the people don't want, then they won't see it. It seems apparent that most players are divided on the issue. I can only hope the ones that say no would give a reason why they wouldn't want to see it. Also, I feel introversion wouldn't have to host servers for multiplayer. Simply have a game host and the players connect to the host. If that's why you feel it wouldn't happen or has introversion stated that they won't do multiplayer?
Dajmin
level1
level1

Postby Dajmin » Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:51 am

Sounds more like an expansion pack / mod idea to me. It's not a mode that I'd have any interest in - the game I bought is about building and maintaining a prison, not an action or stealth game. That said, as an expansion (like Sim City 4's Rush Hour) it could work.
level2

Postby Spectre Incarnate » Tue Aug 06, 2013 12:24 pm

I am mostly neutral to this sort of thing. Don't care for multiplayer or competitive gaming and don't know what constitutes a good multiplayer mode, so I'll vote maybe and leave that to people who are more interested. With that being said, I would still rather the devs focus on the single player experience for the time being.
Dajmin
level1
level1

Postby Dajmin » Tue Aug 06, 2013 12:32 pm

Multiplayer would be a tough one to add to PA since it's not a naturally social experience. Multiple people designing a single prison would be frustrating chaos and the life of a guard isn't interesting enough to make into a game mode :)

Actually, the only kind of competition I'd really be interested in would be online leaderboards.
level1
level1

Postby Acreyzek » Tue Aug 06, 2013 12:59 pm

I think most people in here is getting it wrong... A multiplayer in this sort if game wouldn't even be close to competitive. I would be more of a strategy multiplayer, when to steal contraband, when to start riots, when to dig escape tunnels and so on.

And i think, if a multiplayer would be implemented, i think it would be a good idea to make the ward/player of the prison to not know who the other players are so that the ward have to keep security level high, not just on the one player in his prison.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Tue Aug 06, 2013 3:39 pm

I think what most people here are getting wrong is that MULTIPLAYER IS NOT GOING TO HAPPEN. It doesn't really matter how much you want it. IV are not going to implement multiplayer. If I were one to gamble, I would put money on it.

xander
hugeknight
level1
level1

Postby hugeknight » Wed Aug 07, 2013 3:26 am

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! NOOOO!!!!!NOOOO!!!!!NOOOO!!!!!NOOOO!!!!!NOOOO!!!!!NOOOO!!!!!NOOOO!!!!!NOOOO!!!!!NOOOO!!!!!NOOOO!!!!!NOOOO!!!!!NOOOO!!!!!NOOOO!!!!!NOOOO!!!!!NOOOO!!!!!NOOOO!!!!!NOOOO!!!!!NOOOO!!!!!NOOOO!!!!!NOOOO!!!!!NOOOO!!!!!NOOOO!!!!!NOOOO!!!!!NOOOO!!!!!NOOOO!!!!!NOOOO!!!!!NOOOO!!!!!NOOOO!!!!!NOOOO!!!!!NOOOO!!!!!NOOOO!!!!!NOOOO!!!!!NOOOO!!!!!NOOOO!!!!!NOOOO!!!!!NOOOO!!!!!NOOOO!!!!!NOOOO!!!!!NOOOO!!!!!NOOOO!!!!!NOOOO!!!!!NOOOO!!!!!NOOOO!!!!!NOOOO!!!!!NOOOO!!!!!NOOOO!!!!!NOOOO!!!!!NOOOO!!!!!NOOOO!!!!!NOOOO!!!!!NOOOO!!!!!NOOOO!!!!!NOOOO!!!!!NOOOO!!!!!NOOOO!!!!!NOOOO!!!!!NOOOO!!!!!NOOOO!!!!!NOOOO!!!!!NOOOO!!!!!NOOOO!!!!!NOOOO!!!!!NOOOO!!!!!NOOOO!!!!!NOOOO!!!!!NOOOO!!!!!NOOOO!!!!!NOOOO!!!!!NOOOO!!!!!NOOOO!!!!!NOOOO!!!!!NOOOO!!!!!NOOOO!!!!!NOOOO!!!!!NOOOO!!!!!NOOOO!!!!!NOOOO!!!!!NOOOO!!!!!NOOOO!!!!!NOOOO!!!!!NOOOO!!!!!NOOOO!!!!!NOOOO!!!!!NOOOO!!!!!NOOOO!!!!!NOOOO!!!!!NOOOO!!!!!NOOOO!!!!!NOOOO!!!!!NOOOO!!!!!NOOOO!!!!!NOOOO!!!!!NOOOO!!!!!NOOOO!!!!!NOOOO!!!!!NOOOO!!!!!NOOOO!!!!!NOOOO!!!!!NOOOO!!!!!NOOOO!!!!!NOOOO!!!!!NOOOO!!!!!NOOOO!!!!!NOOOO!!!!!NOOOO!!!!!NOOOO!!!!!NOOOO!!!!!NOOOO!!!!!NOOOO!!!!!NOOOO!!!!!NOOOO!!!!!NOOOO!!!!!NOOOO!!!!!NOOOO!!!!!NOOOO!!!!!NOOOO!!!!!NOOOO!!!!!NOOOO!!!!!NOOOO!!!!!NOOOO!!!!!NOOOO!!!!!NOOOO!!!!!NOOOO!!!!!NOOOO!!!!!NOOOO!!!!!NOOOO!!!!!NOOOO!!!!!NOOOO!!!!!NOOOO!!!!!NOOOO!!!!!NOOOO!!!!!NOOOO!!!!!NOOOO!!!!!NOOOO!!!!!NOOOO!!!!!NOOOO!!!!!NOOOO!!!!!NOOOO!!!!!NOOOO!!!!!NOOOO!!!!!NOOOO!!!!!NOOOO!!!!!NOOOO!!!!!NOOOO!!!!!NOOOO!!!!!NOOOO!!!!!NOOOO!!!!!NOOOO!!!!!NOOOO!!!!!NOOOO!!!!!NOOOO!!!!!NOOOO!!!!!NOOOO!!!!!NOOOO!!!!!NOOOO!!!!!NOOOO!!!!!NOOOO!!!!!NOOOO!!!!!NOOOO!!!!!NOOOO!!!!!NOOOO!!!!!NOOOO!!!!!NOOOO!!!!!NOOOO!!!!!NOOOO!!!!!NOOOO!!!!!NOOOO!!!!!NOOOO!!!!!NOOOO!!!!!NOOOO!!!!!NOOOO!!!!!NOOOO!!!!!NOOOO!!!!!NOOOO!!!!!NOOOO!!!!!NOOOO!!!!!NOOOO!!!!!NOOOO!!!!!NOOOO!!!!!NOOOO!!!!!NOOOO!!!!!NOOOO!!!!!NOOOO!!!!!NOOOO!!!!!NOOOO!!!!!NOOOO!!!!!NOOOO!!!!!NOOOO!!!!!NOOOO!!!!!NOOOO!!!!!NOOOO!!!!!NOOOO!!!!!NOOOO!!!!!NOOOO!!!!!NOOOO!!!!!NOOOO!!!!!NOOOO!!!!!NOOOO!!!!!NOOOO!!!!!NOOOO!!!!! NOOOO!!!!!NOOOO!!!!!NOOOO!!!!!NOOOO!!!!!NOOOO!!!!!NOOOO!!!!!NOOOO!!!!!NOOOO!!!!!NOOOO!!!!!NOOOO!!!!!

PS: this post was not meant to be constructive.
NoOpen
level1
level1

Postby NoOpen » Wed Aug 07, 2013 3:50 am

Thorstoned wrote:Multiplayer isn't going to happen.

It will and is happening, At least on a personal lan scale.
paktsardines
level5
level5

Postby paktsardines » Wed Aug 07, 2013 3:58 am

I am confused. You sound both wrong and very sure of yourself. Which is it? Do you have knowledge we don't?
Spectre Incarnate
level2
level2

Postby Spectre Incarnate » Wed Aug 07, 2013 5:07 am

NoOpen wrote:It will and is happening, At least on a personal lan scale.

Sounds like you have a plan to make a mod for multiplayer, perhaps? I can support that, definitely, even if I don't care for it myself.
ghostly_smoke
level0

Postby ghostly_smoke » Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:14 am

Can we get a mod to remove hugeknight's post? Or at least edited to 1 no?

Return to “Community Members”