what does a good Regime look like ?

(previously 'DEVELOPER') Private forum for registered community members. To register, please visit www.prison-architect.com/register.

Moderator: NBJeff

skitterysteve
level0

what does a good Regime look like ?

Postby skitterysteve » Mon Aug 05, 2013 2:13 pm

title.
as I am having trouble balancing everything, and riots are breaking out.
Thordan Ssoa
level0

Postby Thordan Ssoa » Mon Aug 05, 2013 2:26 pm

The way mine is set up works quite nicely, however you may need to modify it slightly based on your prison design.

Sleep 12-6
Nothing at 7
Shower at 8 (NOTE: I have my showers inside the cells, if you don't you may wish to set this as Shower 7-8 )
Work 9-11 (NOTE: I have my prisoners work before they eat to get them to distribute to multiple canteens )
Eat 12-1 (NOTE: Most people will tell you only one hour for eating, but my canteens are undersized so this is needed )
Free Time 2-4
Work 5-8
Eat 9-10 (NOTE: Again, canteens are undersized so if I don't set two hours to eat, not everyone gets fed )
Sleep 11

Also, a bit of forum etiquette for you:
Rather than posting two new topics for your questions from the last thread of yours, you should have just asked them in that thread as they pertained to it's topic.
Sorenson
level1
level1

Postby Sorenson » Mon Aug 05, 2013 5:20 pm

Thordan Ssoa wrote:The way mine is set up works quite nicely, however you may need to modify it slightly based on your prison design.

Sleep 12-6
Nothing at 7
Shower at 8 (NOTE: I have my showers inside the cells, if you don't you may wish to set this as Shower 7-8 )
Work 9-11 (NOTE: I have my prisoners work before they eat to get them to distribute to multiple canteens )
Eat 12-1 (NOTE: Most people will tell you only one hour for eating, but my canteens are undersized so this is needed )
Free Time 2-4
Work 5-8
Eat 9-10 (NOTE: Again, canteens are undersized so if I don't set two hours to eat, not everyone gets fed )
Sleep 11

I have something similar, though the layout is slightly different

1-6: Sleep
7: Shower (I have mini-showers adjacent to each cell to avoid fights)
8: Free Time
9-10: Eat
11-5: Work
6-7: Eat
8-9: Yard
10-12: Free Time

It's far more time-efficient to have work periods as a single daily block than to split it up, since it can take upwards of 30 minutes sometimes for everything to get moving again.
Thordan Ssoa
level0

Postby Thordan Ssoa » Tue Aug 06, 2013 12:30 am

You're probably right about the single block being more efficient. However, my kitchens are understaffed. Without the prisoners working I don't think I"d be able to feed them all. Also, I need them before each eating time else near everyone goes to the same canteen.
petekob
level1
level1

Postby petekob » Tue Aug 06, 2013 5:17 am

10PM-3AM Sleep
3AM-4AM Shower
4AM-5AM Eat
5AM-7AM Free Time
7AM-12PM Work
12PM-2PM Free Time
2PM-6PM Work
6PM-8PM Eat
8PM-10PM Free Time

100+/189 Prisoners Avg, $40K Ave income from work shop, not fully staffed (36 Saws 36 Presses), all laundry done (2x Laundry Rooms), food fulfilled from one large central canteen, and large showers near multiple large cell blocks. Oh an prison fairly clean, 4 cleaning cupboards but only 9 cleaners. For some reason I cannot assign more then 9 at the moment.
perryliu97
level2
level2

Postby perryliu97 » Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:33 am

For maximum efficiency, only let them sleep 4 hours, because that's all they need.
Even if your prison isn't ridiculously huge, still stick with the 2 hour meal time, as you can then stuff all the needs boosting equipment in the canteen for them to use, allowing not hungry prisoners to improve their needs.
The reason why I can stuff in so much work time is because I have enough prisoners to allow a work rotation of sorts, with approx. 45% of the population having a free time during work hours.

12am-4am Sleep
4am-6am Meal
6am-9am Work
9am-10am Free
10am-12am Work
12pm-2pm Meal
2pm-5pm Work
5pm-6pm Free
6pm-8pm Work
8pm-10pm Meal
10pm-11pm Work
11pm-12am Free
Ric666
level3
level3

Postby Ric666 » Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:29 am

regime I use almost exclusively these days:

12am-5am Sleep
5am-6am Shower
6am-7am Free
7am-9am Meal
10am-12am Yard
12pm-7pm Work
7pm-8pm Free
8pm-10pm Meal
10pm-12am Free.

Simple but effective. Can sometimes cut sleep down to 4 hours if prisoners are happy which means I bump up work to an eight hour day.
I use a large yard area as a needs fulfillment area which is why I dedicate 2 hours just before work.
fat_wilf
level1
level1

Postby fat_wilf » Tue Aug 06, 2013 12:12 pm

@OP

I think its always useful to put FREE after EAT as you will find most cons want to use the toilets afterwards

I like to set my regime

SLEEP (until 6pm)
SHOWER
EAT
FREE
YARD
WORK
"
"
"

EAT (6pm)
FREE
YARD
WORK
"
"
"
SLEEP (@ midnight)

I always put YARD before WORK because of the bug in Alpha 11 which made the cons sitting on benches not go to work. I purposely have nowhere to sit in my yard.

Its all a question of pushing to see how little SLEEP / FREE and how much WORK you can get away with - trial and error
Person012345
level2
level2

Postby Person012345 » Tue Aug 06, 2013 4:17 pm

Sorenson wrote:It's far more time-efficient to have work periods as a single daily block than to split it up, since it can take upwards of 30 minutes sometimes for everything to get moving again.

With regards to my workshop I find this not true. My workmen are lazy and mill about for ages before taking sheet metal to the workshop. This results in my machines being idle and less efficient the longer they work them. By splitting it into 2 the machines are almost constantly working and are resupplied whilst my prisoners are doing free time. Plus it allows me to have them help clean the trays after breakfast and also help with the cooking of dinner.
Garnasha
level0

Postby Garnasha » Tue Aug 06, 2013 5:03 pm

Person012345 wrote:My workmen are lazy and mill about for ages before taking sheet metal to the workshop.
That sounds more like a bug than as a strategy consideration. Has it been reported to http://bugs.introversion.co.uk yet?

Not that I don't split work blocks, but for different reasons. They can help in the kitchen as you said, and I like to give them some freetime halfway to fix needs which rose over treshold in the morning.
Person012345
level2
level2

Postby Person012345 » Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:07 pm

Garnasha wrote:
Person012345 wrote:My workmen are lazy and mill about for ages before taking sheet metal to the workshop.
That sounds more like a bug than as a strategy consideration. Has it been reported to http://bugs.introversion.co.uk yet?

Not that I don't split work blocks, but for different reasons. They can help in the kitchen as you said, and I like to give them some freetime halfway to fix needs which rose over treshold in the morning.

It's not so much a bug. "Ages" was hyperbole, but generally speaking they unload the sheets from the truck, then head back inside the gates, then realise that they should be taking the metal to the workshop, then they head back out to get it, then back in and then carry it there. It's just sillyness with the AI which delays the delivery. Alpha is alpha.
Sorenson
level1
level1

Postby Sorenson » Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:09 pm

fat_wilf wrote:I think its always useful to put FREE after EAT as you will find most cons want to use the toilets afterwards

That's why you put a shitter (or 20) in the back of the canteen!
NascgiGale
level1
level1

Postby NascgiGale » Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:21 pm

Sorenson wrote:
fat_wilf wrote:I think its always useful to put FREE after EAT as you will find most cons want to use the toilets afterwards

That's why you put a shitter (or 20) in the back of the canteen!

You, sir, just blew my mind.
dc4bs
level1
level1

Postby dc4bs » Wed Aug 07, 2013 12:16 am

I have some reconstructing to do in my canteen...

Then I'll see about boosting from 8 to 9 hour work shift. Still trying to crack the 65k per day mark.

---

Anyway, back on topic. I find this works well for my prison.

11-5 - sleep
6 - shower - sometimes find a high bladder need being reduced in the shower but so what... :roll:
7 - free
8 - eat - eating at 8 frees up most guards for new prisoner intake.
9 - free - this may go away - see above... also allows prisoner intake to finish so the new ones are available for the slave pit (Erm... workshop) right away...
10-5 - work an 8 hour shift
6 - free
7 - free
8 - eat
9 - free
10 - free

I don't have a specific yard time. Prisoners use it during free times as they want.
I have a HUGE canteen and kitchen. Built to handle about 50-60 more prisoners than I have as I have some more cell blocks to build out to finish up the prison.

5 workshops in one big complex. 4 16x16 shops with 45 saws and 35 presses among them and 20 workers each. Having extra saws leads to more incoming sheet metal. This helps keep the presses from sitting idle while the saws furthest from the delivery area rarely get used at all. The 5th room is 10x33 with 40 tables and 20 workers. They just go into the other 4 rooms and move blanks from the saws to the presses and finished plates from the presses back to the tables... MANY locked open doors between each of the shops to reduce movement bottlenecks. 100 prisoners and 15 or so workers produce about 65k in finished plates per 8 hour shift. :D Sheet metal tends to purchase in $700-800 lots (2+ truckloads each lot).

I won't describe this prison further as I published it just last night as A12 65k per day income for another thread on prison entrance design (this one has 3 entrances each with a specific purpose).
dc4bs
level1
level1

Postby dc4bs » Wed Aug 07, 2013 12:54 am

Person012345 wrote:
Sorenson wrote:It's far more time-efficient to have work periods as a single daily block than to split it up, since it can take upwards of 30 minutes sometimes for everything to get moving again.

With regards to my workshop I find this not true. My workmen are lazy and mill about for ages before taking sheet metal to the workshop. This results in my machines being idle and less efficient the longer they work them. By splitting it into 2 the machines are almost constantly working and are resupplied whilst my prisoners are doing free time. Plus it allows me to have them help clean the trays after breakfast and also help with the cooking of dinner.

It looks to me like the workmen are "scheduled" at set times around the clock.

EG: You place a foundation a minute or two after the hour and they will stand around until at quarter after they suddenly all run to build it.

They also are seriously inefficient as to which one is assigned to any given job. I think there is an "idle workman" stack and whatever workman happens to be next on the stack gets assigned the next job. even if he is on the opposite side of the prison and there is another idle workman standing 3 squares away...

For any particular job to be as efficient as possible, you need ALL of your workmen to be as close to it as possible so whichever one is selected does not have a long walk before he can even get started.

My storage room is as close to the delivery area with easy access to the kitchen and workshops as I could make it for this reason. I assign NO non-emergency jobs to any workmen during workshop hours. They only run off on their own to collect garbage occasionally.

Return to “Community Members”