Save/exit while at peace no danger, reload and suddenly high

(previously 'DEVELOPER') Private forum for registered community members. To register, please visit www.prison-architect.com/register.

Moderator: NBJeff

JaguarXJ6
level1
level1

Save/exit while at peace no danger, reload and suddenly high

Postby JaguarXJ6 » Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:04 am

I saved my game then exited to do some research on the PA forums/wiki.

Reloaded my game and suddenly a dozen or more have serious complaints and the danger level is spiking dramatically immediately. There's something wrong with this, either with the momentary interruption in water supply and it's 1am-2am everyone is hungry when they should be sleeping.

That seems to be the crux of the issue, prisoners were sound asleep are now all awake, causing chaos and breaking things. What gives?

Happy to upload a save file if that helps - just point in me in the directions of how to do that.
4folders
level1
level1

Postby 4folders » Mon Aug 05, 2013 1:00 am

This is a bug, i 'm sure there was another post about it recently. I personally just make sure there's loads of guards around to subdue them all.
111none
level4
level4

Postby 111none » Mon Aug 05, 2013 1:05 am

Its alpha 12 right?
Sometimes the game save is not fully saved, i had one where the utilites were not saved.
With the sincerest regards,
111none
sprouts1115
level1
level1

Postby sprouts1115 » Mon Aug 05, 2013 3:24 am

111none wrote:Its alpha 12 right?
Sometimes the game save is not fully saved, i had one where the utilites were not saved.

really, it seems utilities has an issue. I do know electrical switches will save off, but water values will not save off. Even in alpha 12...
VIPERGTSR01
level1
level1

Postby VIPERGTSR01 » Mon Aug 05, 2013 4:10 am

I have got into the habit of save and reload when it is time to get up, stops them losing sleep.

Most of my saving a reloading is either to improve performance drastically (not sure what is going on) or so prisoners can change clothes again.
dc4bs
level1
level1

Postby dc4bs » Tue Aug 06, 2013 12:11 am

Never save / load in the middle of sleep period! This almost always causes a riot. On reload, the prisoners will NOT go back to sleep and they are GRUMPY about it.

I was able to "fix" a 2 AM game time load once (didn't want to lose an entire day back to previous save) by immediately pausing and editing the regime to have shower time in the next hour (luckily happened to be only 2-3 game minutes away). Then an hour of free time. Then back to sleep and get up an hour later than usual and then reset the schedule back to normal. By letting the prisoners take care of their needs immediately, it prevented the blood bath that happened no matter what if I just left everything alone.

As stated above, I try to always make save games right before work period starts or right before sleep when my schedule tends to have the prisoners at their least needs (other than sleep...).
VoiD88
level5
level5

Postby VoiD88 » Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:05 am

dc4bs wrote:Never save / load in the middle of sleep period!

I ALWAYS save during the sleep period and I've never had any riot yet. That's right, NEVER! I think I must be doing something seriously right, my prisoners are so happy that I can do a complete prison shakedown twice a day without them minding at all.

I tried to get them to riot yesterday because I had never yet seen that feature. Whatever I did, all-out riot never happened: First I tried locking them in their cells all day. Some prisoners started smashing up their cells but a guard would come running and beat them unconscious before they riled up anybody else around them. Then I tried locking them in the canteen for the whole day, thinking the crowded conditions might help enticing a riot. There was the occasional brawl, but the guards were so quick at subduing these that again no all-out riot ensued. I will try again today with firing most of my guards beforehand.

Guess real-world prison wardens could learn a lot from me :roll:
Life is NOT like a box of chocolates, it's more like a jar of jalapeños: What you do today might burn your a** tomorrow.
~Garfield
dc4bs
level1
level1

Postby dc4bs » Tue Aug 06, 2013 6:15 pm

how many prisoners do you have?

Just wondering if it's a critical mass thing. Get enough grumpy ones together and the fur flies.

----

I am guessing the issue on load is that all prisoners "moods" are based on a calculation of their current needs at the moment of game load.

There is obviously some "smoothing" function applied over time to prevent wild "mood swings" but it does not apply on initial load so any significantly high need will trigger the rage if not dealt with quickly.

I try to make saves just before prisoners wake up. This normally is a time when their greatest need is Hygiene. The first thing my prisoners do at 6 AM is shower. Then free time for bladder/bowel (2nd greatest need and perhaps some family or recreation using phones/TVs in the cell block) then eat (3rd greatest need - also prisoners are eating at 8 freeing up guards for new prisoner intakes). Then 1 more hour of free time to let any remaining random needs be handled as much as possible before the 8 hour work block starts. just before work is the 2nd best time to make a save (when ALL needs in the entire prison are at their lowest for the whole day).

Return to “Community Members”