[Suggestion] Metaldetector only detecting metal items

(previously 'DEVELOPER') Private forum for registered community members. To register, please visit www.prison-architect.com/register.

Moderator: NBJeff

Acreyzek
level1
level1

[Suggestion] Metaldetector only detecting metal items

Postby Acreyzek » Fri Jul 26, 2013 3:03 pm

The title pretty much says it all, but i'd like to explain

As in real life a METALdetector only detects metal... so for example when a prisoner with a contraband item, ex: "cigs" walk through the detector, it should not peak to notice guards that the prisoner had contraband on them, seems logical right.

I belive that if this idea get's implemented, that a shakedown of cells(I know, aready requested) would make even more sense, and from now on i am strongly supporting a such feature

I'm not sure if this has been suggested before, but i can say that i haven't seen it in the list of suggestions that koshensky made, if it is, he hid it well.
clincha
level1
level1

Postby clincha » Fri Jul 26, 2013 3:20 pm

+1.

But...

First there needs to be a way to search many prisoners at one time so as to balance the game. We can't have it be that the only other way to find out if prisoners have non-metal contraband is clicking on each prisoner and clicking search.

I think it is a late development thing to work on rather than now.

Clincha.
Acreyzek
level1
level1

Postby Acreyzek » Fri Jul 26, 2013 3:24 pm

clincha wrote:First there needs to be a way to search many prisoners at one time so as to balance the game.
Clincha.

As said, there is already a feature in the development, i think they call it a "shakedown" for now, it let's you designate a mass search -if you will, instead of the player having to click "Search Prisoner" on each induvidual prisoner

:)
GC13
level2
level2

Postby GC13 » Fri Jul 26, 2013 3:24 pm

Related, I kind of hope that the prisoners flashing their contraband is just a temporary balance solution, or an abstraction of a more rigorous system of searches that we're supposed to implement. If that feature makes its way into the final build... Well, it's just a little weird, is all. Hopefully that will make its way into the guard AI and I won't have to worry about it.

I won't lie, though: it's cool to feel like you've just caught your prisoner with his hand in the cookie jar. :twisted:
MAdMaN
level4
level4

Postby MAdMaN » Fri Jul 26, 2013 3:25 pm

For now think of it as a walk-through x-ray machine like the one in Total Recall (the Arnold Schwarzenegger one, I haven't seen the new one).

Acreyzek wrote:I'm not sure if this has been suggested before, but i can say that i haven't seen it in the list of suggestions that koshensky made, if it is, he hid it well.

It's best to use the forum's search rather than relying on that post, as koshensky hasn't been on the forum in months and so hasn't updated it with all the new suggestions.
Last edited by MAdMaN on Fri Jul 26, 2013 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fat_wilf
level1
level1

Postby fat_wilf » Fri Jul 26, 2013 3:27 pm

I totally agree with this.

I think especially now with the 'shakedown' option imminent, non metal items, cigs, plastic fork, glass bottles etc. should not set off the metal detectors!

The metal detector makes finding contraband FAR TOO EASY... much like the game ATM.

I hope this is a feature we get to see
SekondaHuet
level1
level1

Postby SekondaHuet » Fri Jul 26, 2013 3:30 pm

[quote="MAdMaN"]For now think of it as a walk-through x-ray machine like the one in Total Recall (the Arnold Schwarzenegger one, I haven't seen the new one).

That's a fair enough assumption, they could even make one of those Ghost scanner machines in the game to capture such cigs but make them impossible expensive to make all but the best and biggest prisons find them unnecessary unless they can afford it. Though they would probably be good if they pissed the prisoners off because they make you look naked really, just like the real life scandal of the full body scanners. I like the idea!
Acreyzek
level1
level1

Postby Acreyzek » Fri Jul 26, 2013 5:58 pm

MAdMaN wrote:
Acreyzek wrote:I'm not sure if this has been suggested before, but i can say that i haven't seen it in the list of suggestions that koshensky made, if it is, he hid it well.

It's best to use the forum's search rather than relying on that post, as koshensky hasn't been on the forum in months and so hasn't updated it with all the new suggestions.

Sorry, i was not aware that such a feature was available on this forum, from now on i will do my best to use it whenever i get an idea.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Fri Jul 26, 2013 6:06 pm

NOOOOOO! Never nerf the metal detectors! They are the cheesiest bit of over-the-top technology ever! I luvs them! DON'T TAKE AWAY MY PRECIOUS!

xander
henke37
level2
level2

Postby henke37 » Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:34 pm

You could add more detectors, like say an xray station. Of course, an xray station takes more space, has a longer processing time, needs to be manned and requires more power. Oh, and people might get a little upset at the privacy invasion.
MAdMaN
level4
level4

Postby MAdMaN » Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:45 pm

Acreyzek wrote:
MAdMaN wrote:It's best to use the forum's search rather than relying on that post, as koshensky hasn't been on the forum in months and so hasn't updated it with all the new suggestions.

Sorry, i was not aware that such a feature was available on this forum

Almost every forum has a search function.
Provic
level1
level1

Postby Provic » Sat Jul 27, 2013 9:13 am

MAdMaN wrote:
Acreyzek wrote:
MAdMaN wrote:It's best to use the forum's search rather than relying on that post, as koshensky hasn't been on the forum in months and so hasn't updated it with all the new suggestions.

Sorry, i was not aware that such a feature was available on this forum

Almost every forum has a search function.

In his defense, a huge number of gaming forums have a nasty habit of providing totally dysfunctional search tools. Those that run free or cheap off-the-shelf software (like phpBB) tend to have the best-working ones, oddly enough, but unfortunately a lot of developers feel compelled to deploy their own custom forums and for some reason always seem to overlook the quality of searches. Having moderated one back when dinosaurs ruled the Earth, it's definitely an uphill battle to try to get people to break the bad habits those forums have caused.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Sat Jul 27, 2013 6:38 pm

henke37 wrote:You could add more detectors, like say an xray station. Of course, an xray station takes more space, has a longer processing time, needs to be manned and requires more power. Oh, and people might get a little upset at the privacy invasion.

Don't forget the cancer.

xander
Miss Stabby
level1
level1

Postby Miss Stabby » Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:32 am

Or maybe the bodyscanners the TSA has been using, they dont use xray but still are capable of penetrating clothing, also they are about 2 or 3 times "slower" then a regular metal detector.

A feature that would also be awesome is to have the option to have prisoners be halted+searched the moment the scanner finds something, instead of being chased and searched in a prison cell
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:42 am

Miss Stabby wrote:Or maybe the bodyscanners the TSA has been using, they dont use xray but still are capable of penetrating clothing, also they are about 2 or 3 times "slower" then a regular metal detector.

A feature that would also be awesome is to have the option to have prisoners be halted+searched the moment the scanner finds something, instead of being chased and searched in a prison cell

I thought that most of the machines the TSA used were backscatter X-ray machines. Other technologies exist (like, scanners that operate in the millimeter wavelength range), but have they been deployed at any airport? Last time I went through, it was X-rays all the way.

xander

Return to “Community Members”