[Suggestion] Fire Alarm System

(previously 'DEVELOPER') Private forum for registered community members. To register, please visit www.prison-architect.com/register.

Moderator: NBJeff

ilovepolice1
level0

[Suggestion] Fire Alarm System

Postby ilovepolice1 » Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:32 pm

I have a good suggestion that would be useful for prison safety. Fire alarm systems. The nearest staff member of the prison would pull them to alert other people, and inmates of fire. The fire alarm horns would have a flashing light. This makes inmates evacuate to a safe area until the fire is extinguished.

They would be connected to a fire alarm control panel. This system will require electricity, and will have to be connected to electrical cable. There could also be an option to turn off the fire alarm, since the sound will get annoying.
MAdMaN
level4
level4

Postby MAdMaN » Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:54 pm

Doesn't just have to be staff, inmates could pull it too (pretty sure some of them wouldn't want to burn to death). Could also have prisoners pull it when there's no fire just to cause chaos.
UKBenz
level1
level1

Postby UKBenz » Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:59 pm

I quite like this as a little feature, would be good. I like the thought of prisoners using it to their advantage, setting off the alarm to cause trouble.
thekillergreece
level4
level4

Postby thekillergreece » Tue Jul 23, 2013 6:03 pm

I like it this idea!Only staff and admins ofc should pull the level of fire alarm. If prisoners will be able to, they will do false alarms, faking there is fire
Pogo
level2
level2

Postby Pogo » Tue Jul 23, 2013 6:08 pm

How are fires handled in real prisons? Most specifically... this idea of "evacuating" prisoners is a little troublesome for me.

While I know that no prison system is going to put prisoner's lives at risk... there's generally not going to be a lot of evacuation necessary, right? Most prisons are actually quite fireproof with the majority of the building being constructed from concrete, brick, steel, etc.

So, even if a prisoner smuggles some contraband into his cell and starts a fire... it will burn what? His matress, sheets, books, and bookshelf? It's not going to burn his metal bed frame or his metal toilet. It's not going to spread on the concrete floor or walls into any neighboring cells.

Now... there are parts of a prison that prisoners go to that may have a fire risk. Workshop, kitchen, laundry room, common room, could all have electrical fires. The thing is... how would a real prison handle a fire like this? Suppose some prisoners right and start a fire in the canteen/kitchen area during Eat time. The prisoner's wouldn't simply be evacuated out of the Canteen and left to kind of hang out and watch as the firemen put the fire out (as you might do if there were a fire in the building you work at, for example).

More likely, the guards would put that cell block on lockdown until the fire was dealt with. There's too much chaos going on during a fire. The prisoners would be locked down for the safety of everyone.

But currently, there's no way to put specific parts of the prison on lockdown. It's all or none. With all that concrete and steel, a fire in a prison is extremely easy to contain. But I'm not allowed to contain the area of a lockdown. I can build my prison with cell blocks in mind. But the game doesn't actually treat them as cell blocks. I'd like the ability to put just a specific cell block on lockdown, while other cell blocks can roam free. There are other reasons besides fire why I might do this (a riot in one cell block but not the others), but I certainly think this functionality needs to be in the game before we start implementing plans for evacuating prisoners.
UKBenz
level1
level1

Postby UKBenz » Tue Jul 23, 2013 6:13 pm

From what I know, I don't know if it's fact, just like you said Pogo fires in prisons are quite limited. Apart from materials that can be set on fire in cells that's about it. I imagine if a fire alarm did go off then standard procedure would be for prisoners to head directly to their cells and await further instructions as that would be the easiest way to contain them.
Axios
level2
level2

Postby Axios » Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:25 pm

+1 for the idea!
rsdworker
level3
level3

Postby rsdworker » Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:46 pm

yeah - fire alarm is needed also riots can start fires
sometimes fire equipment is required in lockers - i am not sure about fire alarm procedures but i believe if wing is on fire - everyone has to evaucate to yard via doors but if kicthen or other buildings - then prisioners go in cells and await
Axios
level2
level2

Postby Axios » Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:34 pm

rsdworker wrote:yeah - fire alarm is needed also riots can start fires
sometimes fire equipment is required in lockers - i am not sure about fire alarm procedures but i believe if wing is on fire - everyone has to evaucate to yard via doors but if kicthen or other buildings - then prisioners go in cells and await

Quote, +1

Return to “Community Members”