Laundry Worker

(previously 'DEVELOPER') Private forum for registered community members. To register, please visit www.prison-architect.com/register.

Moderator: NBJeff

clincha
level1
level1

Laundry Worker

Postby clincha » Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:16 pm

Hello People,

With cleaning the prison you can use prisoners and janitors.

With cooking you can use chefs and prisoners.

With laundry you should be able to use a laundro-workie-person-thingymajig.

You like?

Clincha
4folders
level1
level1

Postby 4folders » Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:29 pm

Yes, this would be great! It would stop/reduce prisoners stealing the superweapon irons and killing everyone.
Pogo
level2
level2

Postby Pogo » Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:50 pm

To add to this...

Prisoners should be able to work as both janitors and groundskeepers. There is a janitor and a groundkeeper staff member, so why not prison labor separated into these two categories? And in addition to the cleaning cupboard, adding a room for groundskeeping supplies.

And while I'm thinking about it... it would be nice to see another job for prisoners... farming. There are several prison farms in the United States. The best example of this is a prison in Louisiana, can't think of the prison name off hand. The prison saves a lot of money on food expenses by having the prisoners grow crops, which is consumed by the prisoners.
clincha
level1
level1

Postby clincha » Tue Jul 23, 2013 3:06 pm

Prisoners should be able to work as both janitors and groundskeepers. There is a janitor and a groundkeeper staff member, so why not prison labor separated into these two categories? And in addition to the cleaning cupboard, adding a room for groundskeeping supplies.

And while I'm thinking about it... it would be nice to see another job for prisoners... farming. There are several prison farms in the United States.

Agree. +1

The best example of this is a prison in Louisiana, can't think of the prison name off hand. The prison saves a lot of money on food expenses by having the prisoners grow crops, which is consumed by the prisoners.

Found it: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Louisiana ... nitentiary

And this is the warden. Thought he was quite funny.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/3c/Warden_Burl_Cain_St_Francisville.jpg

Cincha
Pogo
level2
level2

Postby Pogo » Tue Jul 23, 2013 3:14 pm

For what it's worth... that prison also makes their own coffins. I'm pretty sure the only prisoners sent to this prison are people sentenced to life without possible chance of parole. And it's mostly self-sustaining. Almost everything they need or use, they make themselves.
Zaka51
level1
level1

Postby Zaka51 » Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:04 pm

Yeah, I think being able to build laundry rooms then hire some staff to run it would be a good idea. It would allow one to satisfy the Clothing need without having to research Prison Labor first.

I also like the idea of a farm to cut down on food expenses, or some other forms of work that prisoners can do to earn money/reduce expenses outside of just license plates; after all, there's a lot of simple labor that prisoners around the world do. Chain gangs could be cool too, but I'm not sure how they could be implemented.
Pogo
level2
level2

Postby Pogo » Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:36 pm

I don't know about globally... but here's some info about chain gangs in the United States...

They were entirely phased out by 1955.

Then in the '90s (starting with Alabama in 1995), they were reintroduced, but most of them were quickly abandoned.

To this day, the only place in the United States that uses chain gangs is Maricopa County, Arizona (Phoenix). But these chain gangs don't dig ditches or chip rocks or anything like old chain gangs. These chain gangs simply pick up trash around the prison...

While I like the idea of greatly increasing the variety of labor our prisoners can do, I don't see the benefit of adding chain gangs.
Zaka51
level1
level1

Postby Zaka51 » Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:41 pm

Well I'd certainly be okay with anachronisms if it meant fun gameplay. But if there's no fun way to implement such a feature, then yeah, no point in trying.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:46 pm

On the other hand, minimum security prisoners are often used as cheap labor. For instance, in Reno (where I live) prisoners are employed cleaning graffiti from walls and buildings, cleaning up trash around town, and so on. The prisoners are not shackled to each other, thus not on a literal chain gang, but the basic concept is similar.

xander
Pogo
level2
level2

Postby Pogo » Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:55 pm

Yeah. Prison labor is extremely commonplace, particularly with minimum security prisoners. They just don't chain them up any more.

In Arkansas, it's very common place to see Sheriff Department vehicles (a big van for carrying the prisoners in, and an extended cap truck the extra guards ride in), and like 3-4 guards with shotguns will be on the side of the road while 10-15 prisoners pick up trash on the roadside. And again, they're not chained up.

So I wasn't meaning to imply that prison labor, or chain-gang-esque labor is no longer used... just that the prisoners are no longer actually chained together... except in Phoenix... (and maybe outside the United States).

Return to “Community Members”