General Questions and a bit of Feed Back requested!

General chit-chat and minor questions about just about anything

Moderator: NBJeff

Tobias2189
level1
level1

General Questions and a bit of Feed Back requested!

Postby Tobias2189 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 5:38 am

Hi, I just joined the forum a few moments ago, I would like to start out by saying I really like this game so far and think its a great idea! (I hope I'm posting this in the right place)

Please read the entire post before jumping down my throat with replies. I'm currently using a Alpha 9 crack, I found this game only a few days ago and plan to buy it when I have money in 2 days.

But before I do, I would like to know if the game is running any better than it was in Alpha 9, everything and I do mean EVERYTHING in this game is broken in the version I am currently playing on, I'm not sure if it is the method in which I'm playing, the normal bugs in this version or if it is my computer not playing nice with this game. (I don't have the best computer and always play a demo/crack to make sure I can run a game before spending the money).

I get alpha is for testing and not meant to be purchased as a finished game but as what I've seen so far (in my case) there is not really any testing to do considering that it jumps out and screams in your face.

I want to contribute, I want to find and report bugs, I want to give suggestions. (I want to name a prisoner and create his bio) ^_^ I want to join this community!

So do you think that this sounds normal to Alpha 9 or is it the fact I'm using a crack or maybe my computer? Should I wait a few more updates to grab the game and start testing or grab it the moment my check comes in? ^_^

(I hope I have not offended anyone by mentioning a crack, I hope it also does not get me in trouble with the community or Introversion and no, I will not link this crack to anyone else as I do not know you would actually ever pay for the game and I don't support stealing).
Bamwich
level1
level1

Postby Bamwich » Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:07 am

I, for one, will not be giving you any answers until you buy the game. Then you can post in the Developers forum and I will not look upon you scornfully anymore.
Tobias2189
level1
level1

Postby Tobias2189 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:11 am

Bamwich wrote:I, for one, will not be giving you any answers until you buy the game. Then you can post in the Developers forum and I will not look upon you scornfully anymore.

I really don't care how you look at me, I'm not like all the other people who use cracks to steal, I use them to make sure my computer can handle the games. I'm being responsible with MY MONEY. Once I find that I 1. Like the game & 2. Can play the game, I 3. PAY FOR THE GAME or UNINSTALL IT.
paktsardines
level5
level5

Postby paktsardines » Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:55 am

I would like to know if the game is running any better than it was in Alpha 9, everything and I do mean EVERYTHING in this game is broken in the version I am currently playing on, I'm not sure if it is the method in which I'm playing, the normal bugs in this version or if it is my computer not playing nice with this game.

This is a good question. If an alpha game seems broken how can one know if it's problems with the game itself, or the way it's being played, particularly when there's not much information available?

Firstly, to answer your main question: The game is definitely better than it was in alpha 9. It runs a lot faster, it has a lot of extra depth gameplay-wise (see the changelogs for full details), is a lot less buggy and is more stable. While we're on the subject, every version has been better than its predecessor (well, maybe not the initial fog of war prototype).

Secondly, without knowing what issues you're having ('everything' is rather a broad term ;) I can definitely say that the problems you're having are to do with how you're playing the game. I say this with certainty because I have been playing Prison Architect since Alpha 1. I have put more hours into playing this game than any other in the last two years, and I'm still playing it. Sure there have been occasional bugs along the way, but nothing I would describe as game-breaking. I look forward to starting my prisons anew each alpha and putting each feature through its paces.

Admittedly the gameplay in the latter stages of your prison development does tend to slow, but there are some excellent mods out there to keep things interesting (try the Global Financial Crisis mod for starters, if I do say so myself ;)

Most importantly, purchasing the game gives you access to the developer forums where a bunch of eager, entertaining regulars will answer all your questions, balanced by a roughly equal number of surly, entertaining nay-sayers. ;)

So, in summary, buy it. It's an excellent game as it stands now, and it's going to be something really special when it's finished.
Tobias2189
level1
level1

Postby Tobias2189 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:19 am

paktsardines wrote:
I would like to know if the game is running any better than it was in Alpha 9, everything and I do mean EVERYTHING in this game is broken in the version I am currently playing on, I'm not sure if it is the method in which I'm playing, the normal bugs in this version or if it is my computer not playing nice with this game.

This is a good question. If an alpha game seems broken how can one know if it's problems with the game itself, or the way it's being played, particularly when there's not much information available?

Firstly, to answer your main question: The game is definitely better than it was in alpha 9. It runs a lot faster, it has a lot of extra depth gameplay-wise (see the changelogs for full details), is a lot less buggy and is more stable. While we're on the subject, every version has been better than its predecessor (well, maybe not the initial fog of war prototype).

Secondly, without knowing what issues you're having ('everything' is rather a broad term ;) I can definitely say that the problems you're having are to do with how you're playing the game. I say this with certainty because I have been playing Prison Architect since Alpha 1. I have put more hours into playing this game than any other in the last two years, and I'm still playing it. Sure there have been occasional bugs along the way, but nothing I would describe as game-breaking. I look forward to starting my prisons anew each alpha and putting each feature through its paces.

Admittedly the gameplay in the latter stages of your prison development does tend to slow, but there are some excellent mods out there to keep things interesting (try the Global Financial Crisis mod for starters, if I do say so myself ;)

Most importantly, purchasing the game gives you access to the developer forums where a bunch of eager, entertaining regulars will answer all your questions, balanced by a roughly equal number of surly, entertaining nay-sayers. ;)

So, in summary, buy it. It's an excellent game as it stands now, and it's going to be something really special when it's finished.

Well when I said everything is not working I don't mean nothing works just that everything does not work right. Deployment stops working, warden stops being able to research anything, guards just stop moving and will never move again, my builders wont build, no matter what I do "path is blocked" I've played 4 games so far and each save is worse than the last. Maybe the game is just corrupted but the first save worked fine for 2 days and then the problems started, after a while I started one game after another and each save had worse problems than the last. Now nothing at all functions right except the menu options.

I would like to say thanks for replying and not giving me heck over the fact I am testing this with a crack, I hate communities where all the users just flip there lid when they hear someone has used one. I'll buy the 50.00 package come the 17th, so thanks for answering me. Glad to know not everyone is so darn judgmental.
julianschiavo123senior
level1
level1

Postby julianschiavo123senior » Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:27 am

--- :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
paktsardines
level5
level5

Postby paktsardines » Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:37 am

Well when I said everything is not working I don't mean nothing works just that everything does not work right. Deployment stops working, warden stops being able to research anything, guards just stop moving and will never move again, my builders wont build, no matter what I do "path is blocked" I've played 4 games so far and each save is worse than the last. Maybe the game is just corrupted but the first save worked fine for 2 days and then the problems started, after a while I started one game after another and each save had worse problems than the last. Now nothing at all functions right except the menu options.

Thanks for the extra info. From your list I have only experienced two of your issues, one of which was a bug that was fixed and the second is not an issue. Specifically the 'blocked path' issue was a bug that has been fixed. The warden issue is not actually an issue, you just have to make sure all his requirements are met before he'll start or continue research (He needs a functional office with the required office furniture). It is the same for the foreman, chief and other key roles on the research screen.

I have not had any issues with deployment since it was introduced (none I can recall anyway), so I suspect you might be doing something differently there. There's a good guide to all the game's intricacies on steam, (which you can view without owning the game) here:
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/f ... =142966741
VoiD88
level5
level5

Postby VoiD88 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:00 am

There is a bug that can cause deployment to stop working but there's a really easy workaround to make it work again. Once you get access to the Developers forum, the link I posted will no longer tell you that the topic doesn't exist (look for the posts of Chris and myself in that topic for the solution).

As paktsardines said, there are some annoying bugs in the game at the moment, but none of them is really game-breaking and most of them have work-arounds. All we can say is 'buy it or leave it'.
Also, don't get us wrong, we're not whining because you're using a crack; if you really intend to buy the game, that's fine. But you're not the only one using a crack and many of those people have no intention of buying it, but can still access this forum and read whatever help we give people. That's why the really helpful posts are in the developers forum, where only paying customers get access.
Life is NOT like a box of chocolates, it's more like a jar of jalapeños: What you do today might burn your a** tomorrow.
~Garfield
Tobias2189
level1
level1

Postby Tobias2189 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:55 am

Wanted to let everyone who might care know I just made my purchase!
Bamwich
level1
level1

Postby Bamwich » Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:58 am

Post in the Developers forum from now on.
Sildaekar
level2
level2

Re: General Questions and a bit of Feed Back requested!

Postby Sildaekar » Wed Jul 17, 2013 2:13 am

Tobias2189 wrote:I found this game only a few days ago and plan to buy it when I have money in 2 days.

...19 hours later...

Tobias2189 wrote:Wanted to let everyone who might care know I just made my purchase!

sounds fishy...
julianschiavo123senior
level1
level1

Postby julianschiavo123senior » Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:57 am

:? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :?
paktsardines
level5
level5

Postby paktsardines » Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:58 am

Wanted to let everyone who might care know I just made my purchase!

Yay!
MAdMaN
level4
level4

Postby MAdMaN » Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:48 am

Sildaekar wrote:
Tobias2189 wrote:I found this game only a few days ago and plan to buy it when I have money in 2 days.

...19 hours later...

Tobias2189 wrote:Wanted to let everyone who might care know I just made my purchase!

sounds fishy...

There's 43 hours between the two posts you quoted.
Sildaekar
level2
level2

Postby Sildaekar » Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:50 am

MAdMaN wrote:
Sildaekar wrote:

...19 hours later...

sounds fishy...

There's 43 hours between the two posts you quoted.

I stand corrected. My bad.

Return to “General”