2 Power Stations go to Blackout

(previously 'DEVELOPER') Private forum for registered community members. To register, please visit www.prison-architect.com/register.

Moderator: NBJeff

wUndertUnge
level1
level1

2 Power Stations go to Blackout

Postby wUndertUnge » Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:07 pm

Has anyone gotten a way to make your second power station work? I've installed the appropriate conduit dongle, but once I hook it to my main power source, it blacks out the entire prison. Help?
Sildaekar
level2
level2

Postby Sildaekar » Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:10 pm

My second power station works perfect, just be sure that if you overload it to turn on the capacitors first and then turn the back on.

[Edit in response to the reply below me]

I honestly didn't know that, but what I did was just create a separate power station for different sections of my prison, do NOT link the two electrical grids together.
Last edited by Sildaekar on Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:12 pm

This is the intended behaviour. You cannot have two power stations on the same circuit.

xander
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:04 pm

Sildaekar wrote:[Edit in response to the reply below me]

Please don't do this. If you are going to reply to someone, reply to them. It is hard to respond when posts are edited to reply to things that come later.

Sildaekar wrote:I honestly didn't know that, but what I did was just create a separate power station for different sections of my prison, do NOT link the two electrical grids together.

Yes. That is the correct technique.

xander
happymeal2
level0

Postby happymeal2 » Sat Jul 06, 2013 12:16 am

For the most part ill just use one thats maxed on capacitors for the workshop (usually giant) and another for basically everything else. In one save i even built it into the workshop...
vulgarman
level1
level1

Postby vulgarman » Sat Jul 06, 2013 9:32 am

Collic001
level2
level2

Postby Collic001 » Sat Jul 06, 2013 3:00 pm

I really like this mechanic. It should figure even more when we have massively power hungry things like the electric chair to power.
wUndertUnge
level1
level1

Postby wUndertUnge » Sat Jul 06, 2013 3:59 pm

vulgarman wrote:Don't cross the streams.

Dude! I was thinking about posting that! Good on you :)
arwan
level2
level2

Postby arwan » Sun Jul 07, 2013 8:42 am

also of note.. if you make more than 4 power grids in your prison the 5th power grid on show as grey. IE. no power in the lines. but they are working.
sburymozza
level1
level1

Postby sburymozza » Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:48 am

arwan wrote:also of note.. if you make more than 4 power grids in your prison the 5th power grid on show as grey. IE. no power in the lines. but they are working.

I wonderd why this happend cheers thought it was my game
Check Six
level2
level2

Postby Check Six » Fri Jul 12, 2013 5:18 pm

If you plan it well, 4 power stations is very workable. Just don't cross the streams (as mentioned earlier). My prison has a Max security quadrant with it's own power station and water pump, and all the power and water from this Utility can be shut off at the source. It then travels around the perimeter and enters the block though the security office, where it is again broken into separate power and water for the North group of cells, the central North, the central South, and the South group of cells (all within maximum security).

I now have the ability to shut down power or water or both in any sector of that cell block without inflicting power or water outage on any other part. The shower blocks and common rooms and infirmaries, laundries etc all have their own power and water so that in case of emergency or maintenance it can be cut off (only by the guards, as the valves and switches are in the security office).

The same setup goes for the South West quadrant, the Minimum Security cell block.

I also have separate power stations for the workshop, Max kitchen and canteen, storage areas, Holding Cell and Max yard in the North East quadrant. The South East quadrant houses the min sec kitchen, canteen and yard, and also the Administration and amenities (visitor centre, offices, and a canteen/kitchen/shower/toilet block for the offices) and has its own power and water.

I hope these illustrate the concept:

Overall view:

Utilities:

Close up of Security Station set-up:

Hope that helps.

The planning tool is magnificent for the careful planning of these set-ups before you turn the sod and start building.
Steve

Member of the Australian Society of WW1 Aero Historians

http://www.ww1aero.org.au/
paktsardines
level5
level5

Postby paktsardines » Sat Jul 13, 2013 2:14 am

That's awesome!

Return to “Community Members”