This guy has a very good point about PR videos.

(previously 'DEVELOPER') Private forum for registered community members. To register, please visit www.prison-architect.com/register.

Moderator: NBJeff

Dosedmonkey
level3
level3

This guy has a very good point about PR videos.

Postby Dosedmonkey » Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:48 pm

This guy has a very good point about PR videos, but obviously he got flamed, and negative voted by those under the age of 18, who didn't quite get what he was trying to say.

Yes the game is great, but can you tone down the swearing, it'll bring you more fans, not less. Not sure if the youtube video is flagged as adult content as my account automatically acknowledges my age. But would be nice to tone down, or beep out some of the swearing please.

Flame me if you wish, but that would just prove the immaturity of some and that care is needed by those who can be seen as idols (game developers) to some people. I'm not angry at IV, I'm in the navy, I swear my mouth off sometimes, but in public, or in areas with family, I wouldn't dare infringe the innocence of some children to the dismay of other parents.

Thanks for your time reading. :lol:
HerrJoebob
level4
level4

Postby HerrJoebob » Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:07 pm

Actually I agree, the level of swearing didn't really bother me per se but I was struck by it.
AgentPaper
level2
level2

Postby AgentPaper » Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:17 pm

Honestly, the kids have heard worse swearing just as much as they've seen worse violence. I don't get why everyone gets all up in arms about swearing, all that does is make it "forbidden" which translates to cool for young kids, making them swear more.
MAdMaN
level4
level4

Postby MAdMaN » Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:26 pm

You choose whether or not to get offended by words. Sure, some are overtly negative, e.g. racial slurs, but others such as swearing have been used so much that they have lost any negative aspects they originally had.
EJIBIeEedmCQV28FL1UJRHWR
level0

Postby EJIBIeEedmCQV28FL1UJRHWR » Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:40 pm

+1. I know most British people generally are immune to swearing because there is a fucking lot of it in our culture, but really, there shouldn't be a need for 'em, it only cause undue aggravation to people listening.

The British 'ard-lad culture doesn't really have a place on the internet.
Collic001
level2
level2

Postby Collic001 » Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:46 pm

As a brit I just found it entertainingly informal. If given the choice I'd rather have a bit of swearing than remove the friendly, informal, nature of the preview videos.

That said it isn't all or nothing. They could bleep swear words but honestly I would rather they speak as they would normally and perhaps but a warning on the video. I should point out though that the game is adult in theme and content. It may have cartoon style graphics, but it isn't a kids game. A warning shouldn't be needed, and a parent who watches online content with their youngster, without vetting it first, is to blame if they expose them to any inappropriate language or content.
Veneke
level1
level1

Postby Veneke » Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:53 pm

It's a fair point. Although the youtube comments section is probably not the place for those, whatever grief he received there he fully deserved. Gotta know your audience when speaking mate. And that, I think, is the more crucial point. The audience for PA is not of an age where swearing would be unsettling and PA doesn't strike me as a game where swearing should be avoided to prevent offence. PA might be a management game but it's clearly taken the decision to deal with its theme in a more adult fashion and, given the context, swearing is part of that.

Personally though, I've never understood why people have been so wound up by swearing. The level of violence, sex and so on in video games, music and films that are exposed to minors (of an even younger demographic than I imagine would be interested in PA) is bordering on the absurd, but if someone swears it's treated like a break-down of society. Maybe it's a cultural thing? The Irish swear like sailors so I find that I actually enjoy it when games, films etc are equally frank and, to be honest, become slightly irritated when they are bleeped out even though everybody is fully aware of what was meant to be there.

Edit: Just realized that he was actually talking about PR vids. He's even less of a point on that basically on account of what the two blokes above me said and also because the very last thing you want to do is create the impression in the PR vids that this is not a game that deals with adult themes in an adult fashion. People could reasonably complain then that they'd have been misled (not misled in the legal sense but in the 'You're all lovey-dovey in your PR but when you get to the game it's a different story!' sort of misled).
Dosedmonkey
level3
level3

Postby Dosedmonkey » Sat Jun 29, 2013 1:02 am

AgentPaper wrote:Honestly, the kids have heard worse swearing just as much as they've seen worse violence. I don't get why everyone gets all up in arms about swearing, all that does is make it "forbidden" which translates to cool for young kids, making them swear more.

Generally kids listen and hear worse, from what they precieve as bad people, it makes it cool to use it a little with friends, but most wouldn't dare to with their parents. A public figure/idol such as game developers have become, shouldn't be swearing on release videos really, a less the game is a strict 18. Which its just not, its a great game for all ages.

MAdMaN wrote:You choose whether or not to get offended by words. Sure, some are overtly negative, e.g. racial slurs, but others such as swearing have been used so much that they have lost any negative aspects they originally had.

Children are too young to understand, and know, what is right or wrong. That is why they don't have the vote, why they have parental care. And generally need guiding, especailly by those they look up to.

Anyway, once you get kids one day, if your a descent parent, I'm sure you'll see where this is coming from.

I have to agree about the right place to talk about the swearing, youtube comments are just a flame/troll fest. Hence why I put it in the developers forum, away of the worst of the flamers.

PS. I'm British, I'm immune to it. But lots of others aren't... like 99.09% of the worlds pop aren't in fact!
Veneke
level1
level1

Postby Veneke » Sat Jun 29, 2013 1:40 am

Dosedmonkey wrote:Generally kids listen and hear worse, from what they precieve as bad people, it makes it cool to use it a little with friends, but most wouldn't dare to with their parents. A public figure/idol such as game developers have become, shouldn't be swearing on release videos really, a less the game is a strict 18. Which its just not, its a great game for all ages.

How have you come to that conclusion? As far as I can see PA's a management game simulating the various different forms of punishment we carry out on each other on a regular basis, which includes the use of the death penalty, solitary confinement (etc), and the moral issues involved in that for the people who have been instructed to carry such a sentence out but have otherwise no role or say in the process. If the tone of the game was light then I might be able to see it, but at present the tone is largely set by the intro film which, to be fair, is the furthest thing from light.

Edit: I mean, it's certainly not as dark as it could be but it's a bit of a stretch to go from that to "It's for everyone!"
Dosedmonkey
level3
level3

Postby Dosedmonkey » Sat Jun 29, 2013 2:24 am

These are all things that are included with films that have PG (Parental Guidance) certification. Yes its not Disney, but Disney films are actually aimed at those below the age of 8! Despite their popularity with those over. But yet Prison Architect does not have realistic violance (more realistic in dragon ball z or pokemon, a kids cartoon), it does not include swearing, it does not include prostitution, it does not include visual sex, it does not include drugs. And well doesn't really include anything offensive for children (not toddlers).

The fact you have options on how to treat prisons, and as stated in the video, how your prison works will effect their likeliness of re-offending. I actually find this to be a very educational tool for moral dilemmas, for those in the age rage of 10+, who already understand, stabbing someone is a bad thing, and prisoners are generally bad people. Just like first SimCity and SimCity2000 teached children of my generation the basics of CBD (Central Business Districts), residencies, crime rates, medical care, fire coverage, and other things. Oh btw hundreds of people died from an alien invading in simcity2000, but that was still child friendly as far as we are all concerned, because the alien was NOT speaking "take this up your rectum human f*cking scum", but instead playfully smashing up all your hard work.

I think those who have children, would know, once they get to the age of playing a game this advance, they are able to understand what the basic mechanics of a prison is, and will enjoy the game. However would never want your child to have the prisoners swearing at them all day, but worse the guards swearing, or even worse, the devs!

So to answer your question, I mean, its for everyone!... who is capable of understanding how to play a game of this complexity. I doubt it will have any high age rating on it.
vincent90
level0

Postby vincent90 » Sat Jun 29, 2013 2:43 am

I too would prefer less swearing... it doesn't really bother me.. but it seems less professional for two developper to swear like that in a PR video.
paktsardines
level5
level5

Postby paktsardines » Sat Jun 29, 2013 3:00 am

I agree with you Dosed. Don't get me wrong, I swear like a trooper, but I do think Introversion are doing themselves a disservice by swearing in the release videos. Sure I found it refreshingly forward, but it also gives a sense of unprofessionalism, though I know Introversion to be anything but. I do think they are risking losing sales in the younger market (those who rely on parents for games).
Last edited by paktsardines on Sat Jun 29, 2013 3:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Profit
level1
level1

Postby Profit » Sat Jun 29, 2013 3:20 am

Probably got flamed because it started with a parent and their kids seeing a video, which is commonly referred to as a troll for some reason I'll never understand.
vulgarman
level1
level1

Postby vulgarman » Sat Jun 29, 2013 4:31 am

Tight asses.

Who gets to demand that others meet their standards? Couldn't the others demand the same of the who?

It's an unwinnable battle, and yet, here we are.
Dosedmonkey
level3
level3

Postby Dosedmonkey » Sat Jun 29, 2013 4:32 am

That is not a troll; he posted a fair point, not causing arguement, as it was directed at devs, not the youtube users.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troll_(Internet)
(please note this forum does not like URLs with brackets in)

They are called trolls, because it is a metaphor, as these people are ugly, unwanted and abusive to others, similar to a troll.

As for vulgar, clearly your talking rubbish... this is pretty well defined logic and acceptance in modern day society, not a demand for them to change their person.... >_<

Return to “Community Members”