Love the new feature, but ...

(previously 'DEVELOPER') Private forum for registered community members. To register, please visit www.prison-architect.com/register.

Moderator: NBJeff

SpaceVelociraptor
level1
level1

Love the new feature, but ...

Postby SpaceVelociraptor » Fri Jun 28, 2013 4:18 pm

Finally, people are being released. It's one feature that most everyone has been wanting, and they finally delivered. One thing that I would really like to see added to this great new feature is some kind of alert, or announcement that one of your prisoners has been released. I'd like to see who it is, how much time he served, or at least just knowing that i'm going to be down a prisoner would be nice.
kongoman
level2
level2

Postby kongoman » Fri Jun 28, 2013 5:00 pm

+1
Balosar
level0

Postby Balosar » Fri Jun 28, 2013 6:16 pm

I was wondering how many prisoners are leaving. I think it's great, prisoners can finally get resleased.
But I don't want to lose 10 or more prisoners a day.
I think it should be slowed down how fast the sentenced time passes away.
jon_8ball
level0

Postby jon_8ball » Fri Jun 28, 2013 6:18 pm

agreed.
Those who serve preserve our freedom. Honor their sacrifice and never forget.
jaxonhmmnd
level1
level1

Postby jaxonhmmnd » Fri Jun 28, 2013 6:19 pm

Chris does say in the video that this is just the start of the prisoner release feature. They talk about the family coming to collect them and having them leaving in civilian clothes so I'd suggest that this suggestion may be something they look at.
AgentPaper
level2
level2

Postby AgentPaper » Fri Jun 28, 2013 7:59 pm

Balosar wrote:I was wondering how many prisoners are leaving. I think it's great, prisoners can finally get resleased.
But I don't want to lose 10 or more prisoners a day.
I think it should be slowed down how fast the sentenced time passes away.

Slowing down the sentences wouldn't actually reduce the number of prisoners being released each day, at least overall. Slowing down release would only increase the overall number of prisoners in your prison at any given point in time.

The rate of release is always going to be equal to the rate your prisoners come in. Slowing down release would create an illusion of it being slower at first, while your early prisoners are still ticking away at long sentences, but eventually it'll even out to the same no matter what.
J3lly
level0

Postby J3lly » Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:43 pm

Thing with the new RELEASED feature is that in alpha 10 I had a prison with circa 140 captives. Now, after running the same save for about 10 in-game days I'm down to 85 captives.

This is kinda alarming. Since, I was especially aiming for a large prison and even with trying to "inject" more prisoners by going through the "names in the game" and selecting additional ones it seems that I can't even maintain my current quota not to mention increasing it.

Something I'm doing wrong or am I just seeing an initial increased release rate due to patch release? Or is there something else that I've missed?
arcvac
level0

Postby arcvac » Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:11 pm

This would be nice. I'd like to see them change into civilian clothes or something, as the current approach leaves me freaking out that my prisoners are escaping until I look closely and see that they are just being released.
CplHenderson
level2
level2

Postby CplHenderson » Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:11 pm

I have to agree. Releases are great, but could it be toned down just a tiny bit? I mean, I get that they have to speed up time in order to actually release people, but is 1 year=1 day really necessary?
AgentPaper
level2
level2

Postby AgentPaper » Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:14 pm

J3lly wrote:Thing with the new RELEASED feature is that in alpha 10 I had a prison with circa 140 captives. Now, after running the same save for about 10 in-game days I'm down to 85 captives.

This is kinda alarming. Since, I was especially aiming for a large prison and even with trying to "inject" more prisoners by going through the "names in the game" and selecting additional ones it seems that I can't even maintain my current quota not to mention increasing it.

Something I'm doing wrong or am I just seeing an initial increased release rate due to patch release? Or is there something else that I've missed?

This could be because of the release, since it basically meant that all of your current prisoners came in at the same time, and thus (an average) all get released at the same time. As you go on it should stabilize, perhaps not as the number you want, but at least at a higher number than you'll see right after prisoners start leaving and getting replaced.

This does seem like a good time to make it easier to change how many prisoners you get each day. There should be two modes: one where you have no control, prisoners come and go and the total number you have ebbs and flows. Sometimes it's higher and you need to expand, sometimes it's lower and you need to downsize to deal with that. This makes for a nice organic play experience, where you are encouraged to make a more adaptable prison instead of just trying to hold as many as possible.

The second mode should be the sandbox we're used to, where you get to control exactly how many prisoners come each day, and preferably of what types as well. You can do this now by editing your save file, but that's a big pain and shouldn't be necessary. Another possible option would be to have a "maintain at" setting where you input some number, say 120, and the game tries to maintain that many prisoners in your prison. That way you can just set it to however many prisoners you think you can manage, and not need to worry about it anymore.
J3lly
level0

Postby J3lly » Sat Jun 29, 2013 12:30 am

Small update: after another 8 days, I'm down to 59 prisoners from the original 140... I've had prisoner intake on for the whole time. Anyone else getting this?
rawville
level0

Postby rawville » Sat Jun 29, 2013 1:34 am

I would like to see some sort of statistic for how many prisoners have served time

also

are all murders "Unsolved Murders"?
perryliu97
level2
level2

Postby perryliu97 » Sat Jun 29, 2013 1:43 am

rawville wrote:
are all murders "Unsolved Murders"?

Feels like it. Even murders in broad daylight at the yard with a billion witnesses result in an resolved murder for me. Then again, my staff may have been running for their lives, and didn't bother looking :D
Dosedmonkey
level3
level3

Postby Dosedmonkey » Sat Jun 29, 2013 2:41 am

If they made one day equal one year that would work well. As sentances range from 1 - 25 odd years. And then a life sentance would still end with old age after 80 or 90 odd days of gameplay, which is extreme length.

And yes, exactly, they did state in the video, the feature is not finished yet.
hassifa
level1
level1

Postby hassifa » Sat Jun 29, 2013 6:40 am

I have found that the time scaling is a bit too much at the moment, as i have already lost half of my small sized prison (80 max) after a few days even with the intake being continiously on. At most i have seen 12 prisoners come in the morning, but by the time night rolls around again i have lost the same amount..

Return to “Community Members”