Free targeting for subs?

Ideas for expansions and improvements to Defcon

Moderator: Defcon moderators

torq
level3
level3

Free targeting for subs?

Postby torq » Tue Jun 19, 2007 9:31 am

Why can't I target random points on the map with subs? Would it be nice to target any spot on the map for subs too, not just known targets. For example, my subs made it to the coast of my enemy. I know that there's a silo somewhere nearby, I can deduce it's location but I don't see it on radar. Why can't I target that spot when launching my subs? Or another example - enemy fleet is approaching me, my fleet is destroyed or elsewhere but I have only 4 subs within range. Why should I waste the potential of 20 nukes by turning on active sonar and sending them to a suicide? At least I could use those nukes on enemy fleet.

P.S. I wanted to make a poll about it but there's no interface to do it? How do I make a poll here?
NMO
caranthir.pkk
level3
level3

Postby caranthir.pkk » Tue Jun 19, 2007 10:11 am

Because it would make attacking fleets way too easy..
torq
level3
level3

Postby torq » Tue Jun 19, 2007 10:16 am

caranthir.pkk wrote:Because it would make attacking fleets way too easy..

Just a change in tactics. A bit of fresh air. Constant maneuvering. Bobmer patrols, etc
Maybe it'll require the ability for fighters to aim nukes in the air (not at takeoff only).
NMO
PsychicKid
level2
level2

Postby PsychicKid » Tue Jun 19, 2007 3:23 pm

Wouldn't matter, because fighters can't shoot down nukes anyway.
Tripper
level4
level4

Postby Tripper » Tue Jun 19, 2007 5:23 pm

At the risk of looking foolish, I saw it done the other day. A whole bunch of red sub nukes were aimed mid-ocean to take out a blue carrier group. Did the trick reasonably well too. You can see the radiation in the north atlantic in this endgame shot ...

I've never tried it myself, mind ..

Cheers Tripper
torq
level3
level3

Postby torq » Tue Jun 19, 2007 5:24 pm

PsychicKid wrote:Wouldn't matter, because fighters can't shoot down nukes anyway.

Actually they can. If you click an airfield in the fighter launch mode and then click an approaching nuke, the fighter will take off and fire at the nuke. The chances are minimal but it's possible nevetheless. But it works only for fighters on land, ready for takeoff. You can't order an airborne fighters to attack nukes.
NMO
KingAl
level5
level5

Postby KingAl » Tue Jun 19, 2007 5:25 pm

No, they really can't. It has been fairly conclusively proven.
Last edited by KingAl on Tue Jun 19, 2007 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gentlemen, you can't fight in here: this is the War Room!
Ultimate Uplink Guide
Latest Patch
torq
level3
level3

Postby torq » Tue Jun 19, 2007 5:26 pm

Tripper wrote:At the risk of looking foolish, I saw it done the other day. A whole bunch of red sub nukes were aimed mid-ocean to take out a blue carrier group. Did the trick reasonably well too. You can see the radiation in the north atlantic in this endgame shot ...

[image]

Cheers Tripper

Hmm, maybe it was a bombers' work?
NMO
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Postby Ace Rimmer » Tue Jun 19, 2007 5:36 pm

In order to be effective, the targets that the subs are going for have to be stationary the whole time, while bombers can anticipate where to target. Thus, ineffective against players that pay attention or have been around a while.
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast...
Xocrates
level5
level5

Postby Xocrates » Tue Jun 19, 2007 5:41 pm

torq wrote:
Tripper wrote:At the risk of looking foolish, I saw it done the other day. A whole bunch of red sub nukes were aimed mid-ocean to take out a blue carrier group. Did the trick reasonably well too. You can see the radiation in the north atlantic in this endgame shot ...

[image]

Cheers Tripper

Hmm, maybe it was a bombers' work?

Subs can target naval units with nukes. The only catch is that they need radar range so they can target them. Saw this made just yesterday.
torq
level3
level3

Postby torq » Tue Jun 19, 2007 6:56 pm

KingAl wrote:No, they really can't. It has been fairly conclusively proven.

Thanks, I didn't know that. Wasted time on trying to shoot nukes down.

Well, that issue is proven, but we've got sidetracked. Really I don't see much point in nuking fish in the ocean but what about free target designation on land? Why can't I launch at 'probable' silo location without seeing it but knowing it's there?

(I anticipate talks about 'shifted balance' and 'fair play' already. Everyone will have the ability so don't whine)
NMO
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Postby Ace Rimmer » Tue Jun 19, 2007 7:09 pm

torq wrote:Why can't I launch at 'probable' silo location without seeing it but knowing it's there?

That's obvious, you didn't spend hours of your time thinking up/developing/creating the game. :wink:
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast...
torq
level3
level3

Postby torq » Tue Jun 19, 2007 7:49 pm

Ace Rimmer wrote:
torq wrote:Why can't I launch at 'probable' silo location without seeing it but knowing it's there?

That's obvious, you didn't spend hours of your time thinking up/developing/creating the game. :wink:

Well, consider this to be the end-user's feedback. ;)
NMO
bert_the_turtle
level5
level5

Postby bert_the_turtle » Tue Jun 19, 2007 8:03 pm

You can launch sub nukes targeted at your own fighters, you know? Use the "click and hold next to the target, then drag over the target, then release" trick that allows you to target everything.
torq
level3
level3

Postby torq » Tue Jun 19, 2007 9:19 pm

that's tricky. I'll try it thanks. But when there's a fighter that means you see the enemy silo. No need to guess. I was talking about cases when silo is outside radar ranges.
NMO

Return to “Think Tank”