Some ideas regarding the medical system

(previously 'DEVELOPER') Private forum for registered community members. To register, please visit www.prison-architect.com/register.

Moderator: NBJeff

Hemothorax
level1
level1

Some ideas regarding the medical system

Postby Hemothorax » Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:56 am

Being a medic myself, I'd like to see some additions to the medical system.

1) Medication in the hospital. A required item in the medical ward: A chest containing medication. Used for treatment, can be used to steal medication from.
2) Gurneys: Optional item in the medical ward. When a prisoner/staff member is knocked out, these are used to wheel them to the medical ward instead of dragging them through the hallway. The more you have, the faster everybody can be wheeled to the mediward. Gurneys are handled by guards.
3) Resuscitation: When someone is severly wounded and in critical condition, a doctor is needed to resuscitate them. Ideally, there should be a resuscitation bed in the medical ward (instead of the standard bed) where they need to be wheeled to. Resuscitation attempt are made (CPR/defibrillation), and when this is succesfull, they are wheeled to a standard bed. A timer counts down how long they have to be treated and need to stay in bed. Standard beds can be used to treat light injuries.
4) Hospital: Optionally, when a patient has to be treated for a longer duration, you can send them to a hospital nearby. You have to pay a few hundred dollars (depending on the length of treatment) for their stay/treatment, or you have to buy more beds to accomodate for more patients. Patients are collected in an ambulance, and rolled out with a gurney.
5) Nurses: Per nurse you can buy 3 standard beds. Per doctor you can buy one resuscitation bed.
6) Paramedics: their role becomes more limited: They can stabilize critically wounded (they lose health less quickly), but you still need to bring the wounded to the resuscitation room for treatment.
fidelio
level2
level2

Postby fidelio » Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:35 am

great suggestions. the contraband source is particularly appealing.

it would also be nice if they weren't quite so proximity based. a workman will travel from one end of the map to pick up a bag of garbage, but a wounded person need be within x number of spaces before a doctor moves in to heal. they're the only unit to function this way and unfortunately it necessitates medical wards spread about to make them completely autonomous.
fat_wilf
level1
level1

Postby fat_wilf » Tue Jun 18, 2013 2:12 pm

a HUGE + 1 for points 1 & 2

(i think a medicial cabinet is planned, but would love to see it included anyway)
christhekiller
level3
level3

Postby christhekiller » Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:41 pm

If you look here:
http://forums.introversion.co.uk/prison ... ++graphics

There are already images for like medical cabinets and heart monitors and stuff so I'm thinking a medical overhaul is incoming (you can even see boxes that might be stuff for medical supplies to arrive in)
Hemothorax
level1
level1

Postby Hemothorax » Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:32 am

christhekiller wrote:If you look here:
http://forums.introversion.co.uk/prison ... ++graphics

There are already images for like medical cabinets and heart monitors and stuff so I'm thinking a medical overhaul is incoming (you can even see boxes that might be stuff for medical supplies to arrive in)

Cool! I missed that complete post.
Also, it's a bit strange that the paramedics can open all doors when doctors can't, isn't it?
christhekiller
level3
level3

Postby christhekiller » Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:42 pm

Yea. Well... If you consider that they're emergency staff and can't wait for the cowardly guards who won't go near an active riot to open the doors then it sort of makes sense, from a gameplay perspective.

And hey, if it bugs you too much, just imagine a guard passing out keys to the arriving paramedics
Ric666
level3
level3

Postby Ric666 » Thu Jun 20, 2013 2:10 pm

from some of the images I've seen, it looks as though we may be getting some sort of surgey or mortition. Not sure whether this will be operating on prisoners or finding out what caused murders but the latter would be a cool addition imo :)
Hemothorax
level1
level1

Postby Hemothorax » Thu Jun 20, 2013 2:14 pm

I wouldn't mind saving that for Hospital Architect...
Ric666
level3
level3

Postby Ric666 » Thu Jun 20, 2013 4:23 pm

Hemothorax wrote:I wouldn't mind saving that for Hospital Architect...

Why did you open a new topic with suggestions & then give a sarky answer to my reply which was perfectly valid?
Or was it not sarcasm. I always assume it is when I see lots of ........ :P
lugaru
level3
level3

Postby lugaru » Thu Jun 20, 2013 4:38 pm

I really like these suggestions, especially once "injuries" start occuring while performing labor.

I would also love to see diseases show up from time to time in later builds, which would keep the doctors you are suggesting busy. Nothing too dramatic... maybe a prisoner gets a stomach bug or the flu or whatnot. Basically a big unhappyness boost until healed but also some increased needs (like bathrooom or sleep filling up twice as fast).
Hemothorax
level1
level1

Postby Hemothorax » Sat Jun 22, 2013 8:23 pm

Ric666 wrote:
Hemothorax wrote:I wouldn't mind saving that for Hospital Architect...

Why did you open a new topic with suggestions & then give a sarky answer to my reply which was perfectly valid?
Or was it not sarcasm. I always assume it is when I see lots of ........ :P

I was expressing a deep hope for a hospital architect. This gameplay lends itself perfectly for it...
It could be the 'true next Hospital Tycoon'.
m_wellbring
level1
level1

Postby m_wellbring » Sat Jun 22, 2013 8:47 pm

Ric666 wrote:from some of the images I've seen, it looks as though we may be getting some sort of surgey or mortition. Not sure whether this will be operating on prisoners or finding out what caused murders but the latter would be a cool addition imo :)

I see wher you're coming from but I really don't think that those actually exist in prisons. For example I recently read that in the developed world there's about one operating room per 10 000 people, they're simply to specialized to make sense in prison setting. Similarly there shouldn't be enough deaths in a prison to warrant an on-staff mortician.
I am however for these existing in the world of PA but rather as outsourced services that you pay for each time they're needed.
CloneWarrior85
level0

Postby CloneWarrior85 » Sat Jun 22, 2013 10:37 pm

Sounds like a good idea, and i'm always up for some new ways to add contraband into the game.
MillerTime
level0

Postby MillerTime » Sun Jun 23, 2013 5:10 am

Great post. Just looking to help flesh these ideas out more so that we can hopefully see them implimented. Some thoughts:

1) How would the medicine chest work? Is it required object for the infirmary or is it a bonus item that helps speed up the recovery of patients in the room?
2) I love it. I hate seeing guards drag prisoners to the med station. However, I think gurneys need to be handled by nurses and not the guards.
3) Wouldn't some attempt to stablize or resuscitate a patient be done where he is at rather than loading him on a gurney and then dragging him to the infirmary? How about a timer on someone when they are critically wounded indicating how long they have until they are gone for good. The sooner the doctor reaches the patient the better the change of stablization.
4) Not sure how I feel about this one. I'm split between upgrading the medical facilities and keeping everything in house or doing as you suggested.
5/6) I say just combine the two. I don't see a need for staff roles beyond doctors and nurses. I was thinking that a nurse can do minor healing, can stabilze but not resuscitate a patient, and is in charge of gurneys. Meanwhile the doctor can heal more effectively, can stabilize and resuscitate patients, and can assign heavy medications.
7) Any thoughts on handling different levels of security in infirmaries? It's crazy that you can just stick a maximum security prisoner in a bed nearby other prisoners and think he's not going to try and hurt someone or escape just becuase he was hit over the head a few times with a batton. Especially when there may not be any guards in the area!
LadyofHats
level0

Postby LadyofHats » Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:13 pm

could i also request that policemen are treated before prisoners. specially when in trying to escape. otherwise they get the overhand soon

Return to “Community Members”