Staff-Only mode for doors

General chit-chat and minor questions about just about anything

Moderator: NBJeff

Check Six
level2
level2

Staff-Only mode for doors

Postby Check Six » Sun Jun 09, 2013 10:20 am

I have seen "Staff-Only" doors in a couple of YouTube vids, but can't find how to "program" or designate them as "Staff-only" entry.

I can select a "staff door" from the objects (which are fine for the Offices), but I want to make a "large Jail door" that is only accessible by staff.

Where can I go about doing this? I tried clicking on the door, and can make them locked open, locked shut or normal operation, but not designate WHO can use them.

Is a Large Jail door only to be unlocked by guards? I've had cooks and workers stuck behind them waiting for a guard to unlock it for them. How can I turn these into doors that will not open for prisoners, but staff can move freely through them?

Thanks in advance for any help provided.

Steve
christhekiller
level3
level3

Postby christhekiller » Sun Jun 09, 2013 10:28 am

Well if it's a specific area you want staff only you can designate an area as "Staff Only" via the deployment menu
Check Six
level2
level2

Postby Check Six » Sun Jun 09, 2013 10:41 am

Yes, I know how to use deployment to designate a staff only area, but I have seen staff only doors in YouTube vids. I am just watching one now where the "prison architect" describes them, and he is using Alpha 7 (possibly an older YouTube vid). Did the development from there to Alpha 10 (what I am using) negate the need for these doors due to the improvement of the deployment?

Steve
Steve

Member of the Australian Society of WW1 Aero Historians

http://www.ww1aero.org.au/
christhekiller
level3
level3

Postby christhekiller » Sun Jun 09, 2013 11:20 am

Check Six wrote:Yes, I know how to use deployment to designate a staff only area, but I have seen staff only doors in YouTube vids. I am just watching one now where the "prison architect" describes them, and he is using Alpha 7 (possibly an older YouTube vid). Did the development from there to Alpha 10 (what I am using) negate the need for these doors due to the improvement of the deployment?

Steve

Yes. During Alpha 7 you could designate any door as "Staff only" However in Alpha 8 Chris made it so that only guards could open jail doors and everyone could open regular doors but you couldn't change it so regular staff could open it.

In Alpha 8 we got our special staff doors. So unless you go back to Alpha 7 but you'll have to miss out on all the cool new Alpha 8-10 features go ahead lol. But you can just place two staff only doors next to each other if you want to as well, though it looks ugly as all hell.
Check Six
level2
level2

Postby Check Six » Sun Jun 09, 2013 2:24 pm

christhekiller wrote:
Check Six wrote:Yes, I know how to use deployment to designate a staff only area, but I have seen staff only doors in YouTube vids. I am just watching one now where the "prison architect" describes them, and he is using Alpha 7 (possibly an older YouTube vid). Did the development from there to Alpha 10 (what I am using) negate the need for these doors due to the improvement of the deployment?

Steve

Yes. During Alpha 7 you could designate any door as "Staff only" However in Alpha 8 Chris made it so that only guards could open jail doors and everyone could open regular doors but you couldn't change it so regular staff could open it.

In Alpha 8 we got our special staff doors. So unless you go back to Alpha 7 but you'll have to miss out on all the cool new Alpha 8-10 features go ahead lol. But you can just place two staff only doors next to each other if you want to as well, though it looks ugly as all hell.

Yes, that's what I do...use twin staff doors...PITA (pain in the A**) but what can you do. I CAN'T "go back" to Alpha 7 of 8, as I purchased an Alpha 10 only two days ago.

LOVING this sim!!!!!

Steve
Steve

Chewbacado
level2
level2

Postby Chewbacado » Sun Jun 09, 2013 3:10 pm

Briiiiiaaaannnnn
When in doubt, you are probably right. The only right person. In fact, you are probably right as of right now!
bensrob
level1
level1

Postby bensrob » Sun Jun 09, 2013 5:17 pm

Check Six wrote:Yes, that's what I do...use twin staff doors...PITA (pain in the A**) but what can you do.

I do exactly the same to the extent that all my door are either permanently locked open or dual staff doors.

I get the idea behind only guards can open the doors but it is a massive hinderance.

A nice addition would be remote opening from the security room.
Say you've got a door with a cctv that can see it. The guard manning teh security desk could remotely open the door saving alot of waiting and pathfinding.
Also it wouldn't be difficult to implement too as you'd just add it as part of the normal door opening function

void LargeJailDoor::open( entity TryingToOpenDoor ){
if( TryingToOpenDoor == Guard ) OpenDoor( TryingToOpenDoor ); //starts opening animation and opens the door
if( TryingToOpenDoor == StaffMember && CanBeSeenByActiveCCTV() == true ) OpenDoorRemote(); //different function as it wouldn't trigger entity.doorAnim
else QueueGuardToComeOpenIt(); //find a free guard to come do it
}

overly simplified sure but gets my point across.
MAdMaN
level4
level4

Postby MAdMaN » Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:45 am

Check Six wrote:I CAN'T "go back" to Alpha 7 of 8, as I purchased an Alpha 10 only two days ago.

http://prison-architect.com/builds.html
Check Six
level2
level2

Postby Check Six » Mon Jun 10, 2013 3:37 pm

MAdMaN wrote:
Check Six wrote:I CAN'T "go back" to Alpha 7 of 8, as I purchased an Alpha 10 only two days ago.

http://prison-architect.com/builds.html

Thanks for that Madman. Perhaps I should have said "I don't WANT to go back". I assume that the changes/bug fixes/ improvements/deletions etc between Alpha modes are just that - IMPROVEMENTS. The problem might be that if I go back, I might decide to helpfully point out a bug or make a suggestion that has already been implemented by the devs through the great feedback provided here. It might be fun...but I am having so much fun now anyway it's hard to imagine getting frustrated in this sim.

Steve
Steve

Ric666
level3
level3

Postby Ric666 » Mon Jun 10, 2013 4:17 pm

Whats wrong with just using 1 staff only door? Aesthetic appeal?
Check Six
level2
level2

Postby Check Six » Mon Jun 10, 2013 5:16 pm

Ric,

Aesthetically, one staff door looks much prettier, as the two doors tend to get in each other's way. But I was thinking more of traffic volume, allowing more pedestrians to pass through a single point quicker, and hence the guard can re-secure it, and return to his other duties (or unlock other doors).

Steve
Steve

xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:17 pm

Place door. Middle click to rotate twice. Place second door. The two doors will open in opposite directions. I think it is aesthetically pleasing enough...

xander

Return to “General”