What am I doing wrong with my Holding Cell?

General chit-chat and minor questions about just about anything

Moderator: NBJeff

Check Six
level2
level2

What am I doing wrong with my Holding Cell?

Postby Check Six » Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:44 am

Hi.

Just got this sim last night after checking out YouTube vids and builds. I have checked out a few guides posted here and on Steam by VERY helpful players and devs (thanks guys!), but I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong.

I start a new prison, and build a 10x10 building foundation, which I intend to use as a holding cell (yes, I know it doesn't have to be that big, but I am planning for the future as well).

So I place the foundation and workers come and lay the foundations. A message appears in red telling me I need an entrance (Why? there are no walls yet!!). OK, to make them happy I place a large Jail door). I start to add walls (to three sides only, as the "Entrance needed" message is still present and I don't want to trap all my workers inside).

It seems as if the foundations are never built. The mouse cursor hover tells me that it is still in progress, but it doesn't appear to be. If I stop all other jobs, the workers just stand around and do nothing.

I then try to assign a room designation to this slab. A Holding Cell, my original intention, will not work. When I click on Holding Cell and move the cursor to the area, it remains red. If I click on "Shower", it turns green when in the confines of the room, allowing me to turn it into a shower, but not a Holding Cell.

I think it might be something to do with "indoors" but I'm not sure. Is it because I also am placing power and water to this slab at the same time?

Can anyone help me out?

What am I doing wrong? I can't get a decent start to even experiment on other buildings etc. Offices and showers, I have no problem...Holding Cell? Can't do it!

Thanks in advance for all the help.

Steve
Mas Tnega
level5
level5

Postby Mas Tnega » Sat Jun 08, 2013 10:45 am

The edges of the foundation have their own walls and the door goes on one of them.
Check Six
level2
level2

Postby Check Six » Sat Jun 08, 2013 11:09 am

Yes,

I put a door on the edge of the foundation and it still is having trouble. Perhaps the TIMING of placing this door is the problem. Should I wait until a section of wall is built, then place the door on an already constructed wall, or to click and drag my foundation slab, then place a door on one edge even before the workers start to arrive?

Steve
Last edited by Check Six on Sat Jun 08, 2013 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Steve

Member of the Australian Society of WW1 Aero Historians

http://www.ww1aero.org.au/
Dosedmonkey
level3
level3

Postby Dosedmonkey » Sat Jun 08, 2013 11:12 am

Drag the foundation slab, do not build any additional walls, place the door on the foundation slab, not next to it. It should automatically build with out a problem. Check out some youtube vids of people building foundations, it'll make sense then. :lol:
Check Six
level2
level2

Postby Check Six » Sat Jun 08, 2013 11:24 am

Dosedmonkey wrote:Drag the foundation slab, do not build any additional walls, place the door on the foundation slab, not next to it. It should automatically build with out a problem. Check out some youtube vids of people building foundations, it'll make sense then. :lol:

Thanks Dosedmonkey. I HAVE checked out YouTube vids and even some guides published here and there (I really did my homework on this one!).

I'll set Lawrence of Arabia mode ("NO PRISONERS!!") and take my time and figure out what works and what doesn't, this is, after all, just a "test" prison...my first you see.

Should I build the door and the walls ON the edge of the foundation slab or AROUND or ADJACENT to it? Maybe my placement needs adjustment.

Steve
Steve

shovat
level2
level2

Postby shovat » Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:40 pm

Check Six wrote:
Dosedmonkey wrote:Drag the foundation slab, do not build any additional walls, place the door on the foundation slab, not next to it. It should automatically build with out a problem. Check out some youtube vids of people building foundations, it'll make sense then. :lol:

Thanks Dosedmonkey. I HAVE checked out YouTube vids and even some guides published here and there (I really did my homework on this one!).

I'll set Lawrence of Arabia mode ("NO PRISONERS!!") and take my time and figure out what works and what doesn't, this is, after all, just a "test" prison...my first you see.

Should I build the door and the walls ON the edge of the foundation slab or AROUND or ADJACENT to it? Maybe my placement needs adjustment.

Steve

Just remember to build foundations then add internal walls. clicking (i believe right clicking) a foundation in progress will cancel it and you 'll have to order it again. So be patient.

As for the door.

Customer: Hey could you build me a building 20'X40'X10'?
Contractor: sure!
*construction*
Customer: Nice! How do I get inside?
Contractor: Inside?
Kyle.thomson
level1
level1

Re: What am I doing wrong with my Holding Cell?

Postby Kyle.thomson » Sat Jun 08, 2013 1:05 pm

Check Six wrote:Hi.

Just got this sim last night after checking out YouTube vids and builds. I have checked out a few guides posted here and on Steam by VERY helpful players and devs (thanks guys!), but I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong.

I start a new prison, and build a 10x10 building foundation, which I intend to use as a holding cell (yes, I know it doesn't have to be that big, but I am planning for the future as well).

So I place the foundation and workers come and lay the foundations. A message appears in red telling me I need an entrance (Why? there are no walls yet!!). OK, to make them happy I place a large Jail door). I start to add walls (to three sides only, as the "Entrance needed" message is still present and I don't want to trap all my workers inside).

It seems as if the foundations are never built. The mouse cursor hover tells me that it is still in progress, but it doesn't appear to be. If I stop all other jobs, the workers just stand around and do nothing.

I then try to assign a room designation to this slab. A Holding Cell, my original intention, will not work. When I click on Holding Cell and move the cursor to the area, it remains red. If I click on "Shower", it turns green when in the confines of the room, allowing me to turn it into a shower, but not a Holding Cell.

I think it might be something to do with "indoors" but I'm not sure. Is it because I also am placing power and water to this slab at the same time?

Can anyone help me out?

What am I doing wrong? I can't get a decent start to even experiment on other buildings etc. Offices and showers, I have no problem...Holding Cell? Can't do it!

Thanks in advance for all the help.

Steve

Have you tryed cancelling the foundation then putting a new foundation directly on top of it ?
Check Six
level2
level2

Postby Check Six » Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:20 pm

Thanks for all your help. I think I was trying to build doors and walls outside the confines of the foundation slab. I got my act together and everything is fine now.

Steve
Steve

Return to “General”