In praise of Planning Mode

(previously 'DEVELOPER') Private forum for registered community members. To register, please visit www.prison-architect.com/register.

Moderator: NBJeff

direvus
level1
level1

In praise of Planning Mode

Postby direvus » Sat Jun 01, 2013 5:28 pm

I know from personal experience that when you design something, people are quick to point out what they don't like or what they want changed, but rarely take the time to voice their appreciation for the things they do like.

So I just wanted to take a moment to give a textual high-five to Chris for the totally brilliant Planning Mode feature. I remember thinking "oh that's pretty cool" when I saw it in the alpha video, but it wasn't until I used it myself that I fully appreciated how kickass this feature is. It makes everything else about the game better.

<applause>
Chewbacado
level2
level2

Postby Chewbacado » Sat Jun 01, 2013 6:04 pm

I found it was greatly improved from Alpha 9 to Alpha 10.
When in doubt, you are probably right. The only right person. In fact, you are probably right as of right now!
Ric666
level3
level3

Postby Ric666 » Sat Jun 01, 2013 6:47 pm

I couldn't agree more guys! I love the planning mode & was one of the most powerful additions to date imo :)

Also allows for some funky cell block shapes when playing about ;)
Link
Augwich
level1
level1

Postby Augwich » Sat Jun 01, 2013 7:14 pm

I use the planning mode almost religiously - I use it to block out all the items that I'll be placing in the room to make sure I can fit in everything that I need to. It's a beautiful thing.
asmo0
level2
level2

Postby asmo0 » Sat Jun 01, 2013 8:17 pm

No more leaning forward 10cm from the screen to look at the white-font number, or moving it a little off to a darker background so I can properly see.
I love the new visuals.

I joined on the alpha where it was introduced, I don't know how people managed without it! Never build anything almost without planning first
Comrade Suhov
level1
level1

Postby Comrade Suhov » Sat Jun 01, 2013 8:37 pm

If only we could drag plans. I usually got a hard time guessing the right size of blocks so they usually overlap and I have to drive new one from blank space.
asmo0
level2
level2

Postby asmo0 » Sat Jun 01, 2013 8:46 pm

Comrade Suhov wrote:If only we could drag plans. I usually got a hard time guessing the right size of blocks so they usually overlap and I have to drive new one from blank space.
yes please
VoiD88
level5
level5

Postby VoiD88 » Sat Jun 01, 2013 8:50 pm

asmo0 wrote:[...] I don't know how people managed without it! Never build anything almost without planning first

I used Workshop room designations as a makeshift planning tool before the official one was introduced. Worked quite well and also gave daily money ;) But I agree that the Planning Mode is much better.
Life is NOT like a box of chocolates, it's more like a jar of jalapeños: What you do today might burn your a** tomorrow.
~Garfield
Collic001
level2
level2

Postby Collic001 » Sat Jun 01, 2013 9:09 pm

Yes, I love planning mode. It made building fun rather than frustrating. I can still remember all of those times I would have to expand foundations because my cell layouts were just a square too short. Lots of squinting and tedious trial and error - and escapes because the foundation system was really diffficult to work with back then once you had prisoners running around.
tomshreds
level1
level1

Postby tomshreds » Sun Jun 02, 2013 2:23 am

How does it work? I mean I put white lines on the screen but then what? How do I actually build stuff?

Also any other functionality hidden beneath that feature?

Thanks
Dosedmonkey
level3
level3

Postby Dosedmonkey » Sun Jun 02, 2013 4:02 am

I never bothered using it as I do all the planning in my head genuinely, and find the fact it tells you how many meters a building is when your dragging foundations out, makes it very easy to do on the fly. But perhaps I will have a go at using the planning tool tonight, to see if theres more to it then I imagined. :lol:

I am not knocking it. Any additional features to a game are great I feel.
VoiD88
level5
level5

Postby VoiD88 » Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:53 am

tomshreds wrote:How does it work? I mean I put white lines on the screen but then what? How do I actually build stuff?

Also any other functionality hidden beneath that feature?

Thanks

It's a PLANNING tool, not a BUILDING tool. You still have to do the actual building with the other game features (Objects menu and foundations tool).
The Planning tool is just meant to help players to get the building in the right size instead of just one block too small BEFORE they actually build it.
Life is NOT like a box of chocolates, it's more like a jar of jalapeños: What you do today might burn your a** tomorrow.

~Garfield
gpgekko
level1
level1

Postby gpgekko » Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:07 am

I'm still hoping that one day we can place objects in planning mode too (placing them without placing them, you know) so I can workout the layout of a room even better. Canteens, kitchens, showers and all those slightly bigger rooms would get easier to design efficiently.
Collic001
level2
level2

Postby Collic001 » Wed Jun 05, 2013 4:00 pm

gpgekko wrote:I'm still hoping that one day we can place objects in planning mode too (placing them without placing them, you know) so I can workout the layout of a room even better. Canteens, kitchens, showers and all those slightly bigger rooms would get easier to design efficiently.

That would be excellent. I think ideally it would be great if we got the point where you could pace down the walls and objects in planning mode and then just have the workers build and place objects where you indicated with a key press. However, even if the tool remains as it is it's still invaluable and I couldn't get along without it now.
Cruesoe
level0

Postby Cruesoe » Wed Jun 05, 2013 4:12 pm

I also like the planning tool but I would love to be able to save blueprints of rooms I have built.

That way you could select Planning Tool and just drag and drop in blueprints of saved custom rooms.

I am sure that loads of things will come in time and we shall just have to be patient!

As it stands the Planning tool is excellent and I usually draw the entire prison before I build a thing!

Return to “Community Members”