Ideas for expansions and improvements to Defcon

Moderator: Defcon moderators

Pater
level2
level2

Defcon 2 and some Defcon ideas

Postby Pater » Fri Jun 15, 2007 1:07 pm

I don't know if these have been proposed before or not, but here goes:

Defcon 2 should definitely be the same idea on a real 3d globe. The idea was already nicely done in X-COM: Ufo Defence. Play it and see.

The 2d map has its natural weaknesses and warpings. For example the nukes from Russia to USA would in reality pass over Arctic. The Arctic sea is also.. Well, you know this stuff, would be cool with a real world.

Maybe you can steal the nice model in main menu demo screen? :lol:

As for Defcon1. There should be a main chat or a way to discuss with players who are not in a server yet. Using this you could find the company you like faster. This could later also be used to make a moderating system, as players could ask for help from an authority.
torq
level3
level3

Postby torq » Fri Jun 15, 2007 1:20 pm

You just need to make an addon to Google Earth :)

Although, I find the idea of the 3d globe rich. Microprose implemented that in UFO:Enemy Unknown more than 10 years ago.

So, +1
Xocrates
level5
level5

Postby Xocrates » Fri Jun 15, 2007 2:38 pm

Pater.

You really don't want xander to find this.
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Postby Ace Rimmer » Fri Jun 15, 2007 2:40 pm

...something about "Defcon 2 is rubbish, everybody knows you can only fire nukes at Defcon 1"...

Another joke there...
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Fri Jun 15, 2007 3:48 pm

Those who do not study history are doomed to repeat it. Search is your friend.

xander
Pater
level2
level2

Postby Pater » Fri Jun 15, 2007 9:35 pm

xander wrote:Those who do not study history are doomed to repeat it. Search is your friend.

xander

Cant be bothered to do it. If someone already came up with these, fine, I dont need the glory.
Feud
level5
level5

Postby Feud » Fri Jun 15, 2007 9:40 pm

Pater wrote:
xander wrote:Those who do not study history are doomed to repeat it. Search is your friend.

xander

Cant be bothered to do it. If someone already came up with these, fine, I dont need the glory.

If you can't be bothered to "look before you leap", why should Introversion bother to invest time and money into your idea?

Don't get me wrong, I would love a 3d globe version. But, if you are going to complain about the "hostility" of the community, then perhaps the problem is your level of courtesy.
OAM
level2
level2

Postby OAM » Fri Jun 15, 2007 9:51 pm

Feud wrote:
Pater wrote:

xander

If you can't be bothered to "look before you leap", why should Introversion bother to invest time and money into your idea?

Hate to be the one who reads between the lines, but they wouldn't be investing in his idea, it would have been someone elses idea. Not to be annyoing or anything, but it just kinda stuck out at me.
Feud
level5
level5

Postby Feud » Fri Jun 15, 2007 9:56 pm

OAM wrote:
Feud wrote:
Pater wrote:

xander

Hate to be the one who reads between the lines, but they wouldn't be investing in his idea, it would have been someone elses idea. Not to be annyoing or anything, but it just kinda stuck out at me.

*sigh*

I was using it to illustrate a point. Yes, it has already been suggested. No, he didn't come up with the idea first.

But that wasn't the point I was trying to make. I was trying to make the point that if he isn't willing to invest a few minutes of his time, why should anyone else invest the time neccesary to seriously consider the idea? It really doesn't matter what the idea is or who said it first, it was more concerning the attitude that he presented it.
OAM
level2
level2

Postby OAM » Fri Jun 15, 2007 10:03 pm

Yes I agree, and usually I wouldn't have mentioned it, but for some reason it really stuck out at me.
Pater
level2
level2

Postby Pater » Sat Jun 16, 2007 7:44 am

Feud wrote:
OAM wrote:
Feud wrote:
Pater wrote:

xander

*sigh*

I was using it to illustrate a point. Yes, it has already been suggested. No, he didn't come up with the idea first.

But that wasn't the point I was trying to make. I was trying to make the point that if he isn't willing to invest a few minutes of his time, why should anyone else invest the time neccesary to seriously consider the idea? It really doesn't matter what the idea is or who said it first, it was more concerning the attitude that he presented it.

Simple. They would be willing to invest their time and money in it, if it is a good idea worth implementing.

Not everyone gets stuck on such details and shoot down a good idea, only because it was presented in a bad way.
palehorse864
level2
level2

Postby palehorse864 » Sat Jun 16, 2007 9:17 am

I was about to say the exact same thing.

Actually, I have a feeling the answer would have been no regardless of whether you said you couldn't be bothered or not.

Introversion can probably think for themselves anyway and evaluate ideas based on their merit rather than forum bickering. Though it seems introversion is not short of voices willing to tell everyone what they will and won't do, they can think for themselves and decide for themselves. After all, they did create a suggestion forum for various ideas and have occasionally sought user preferences when they were intending to implement something.

Introversion can speak for themselves if they so desire.

As for Defcon 2 on a globe, it could be interesting. Personally, I would like to see a 3d table top that allows missiles to fly a straight path across the map, but visually maintain the arc effect by seeing them rise up over the table (still maintaining their vector graphic look) and falling back down towards the virtual table.

Don't let some of the forum go'ers get you down. Do use search if you have time. I would hate to see people who contribute new ideas (regardless of whether I think they are good or bad, and i've seen a few I thought were bad) remain. It's a lot more productive than just flaming each other. I would rather leave that to my virtual nukes.
Xocrates
level5
level5

Postby Xocrates » Sat Jun 16, 2007 11:53 am

Yes, Introversion can think for themselves, and personally I think they don't bother much with the user responses to the suggestions. However that is not the crux of the problem here.

The problem is that most folk posting in this section come here with big suggestions that for the most part have very obviously not being entirely thought out. So when you ask how is that supposed to work or, often, what's the point. For the most part they will start insulting the community and saying what an asses we are, and their ideas will still not work.

Same with the folk that post the same suggestion that has been posted by a number that can only be described as aleph-zero. 3D world, realistic nuke paths, land units... Many forum goers are getting so sick of hearing the same stuff over and over again to the point of having a breakdown the next time someone posts "great idea: land units!!!!!".

Whether or not the idea has merit, you should see what ideas have been posted before and only if you don't find anything similar should you post your idea. However, be sure to have it thought out so you can effectively answer when someone asks how it is supposed to work.
KingAl
level5
level5

Postby KingAl » Sat Jun 16, 2007 1:01 pm

Just for future reference, posting old ideas has nothing to do with 'the glory', it's just that by making sure that you're suggestion hasn't been made before you improve the signal-to-noise ratio of the forums.
Gentlemen, you can't fight in here: this is the War Room!
Ultimate Uplink Guide
Latest Patch
LordSturm
level4
level4

DEFCON 5 - The War that never Began.

Postby LordSturm » Sat Jun 16, 2007 1:09 pm

Just wait for DEFCON 5, it's a massive virtual tea party, and of course the Brits have the natural advantage. ( bstrds. )
"Surely you didn't mean to press that button just then did you?"
"No, nor will i disarm the nukes."
"Oh well, I will have my Fighters shoot them down."
"Sure you will."
"Oh NOES, ITS BEEN PATCHED!!!"

Return to “Think Tank”