Meal deliveries?

(previously 'DEVELOPER') Private forum for registered community members. To register, please visit www.prison-architect.com/register.

Moderator: NBJeff

Do you want the option to have your prisoner's meals delivered to their room?

Yes!
76%
Maybe later, or not at all.
24%

Total votes: 111
xsuite
level1
level1

Meal deliveries?

Postby xsuite » Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:18 pm

Would it be a good idea to implement meal deliveries as an option? They can be a handy alternative to the canteen for max security (or just very angry) prisoners. ANd in real life, most prison doors have slots specificially for food trays. Thoughts?

Postby karma » Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:43 pm

If the prisoners just stayed in their designated Min/General/Max Canteens, i think there wouldn't be much need for this excepting solitary confinement...
Right now just getting prisoners to eat in their own designated security level canteens would be nice...
H3rlihy
level0

Postby H3rlihy » Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:25 pm

Meals delivered to your room? In prison? Seems a bit luxury if you ask me :P
christhekiller
level3
level3

Postby christhekiller » Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:40 am

H3rlihy wrote:Meals delivered to your room? In prison? Seems a bit luxury if you ask me :P

Not if they're in solitary or lockdown its not
xMs
level3
level3

Postby xMs » Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:17 am

H3rlihy wrote:Meals delivered to your room? In prison? Seems a bit luxury if you ask me :P

Tis normal if you're high security, no?
Khrull
level0

Postby Khrull » Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:40 am

We all know the solitary confinement scenes where the meals get passed through a tiny trapdoor into the everdark cell.

Could be implemented, but not very important, as it would also need some kind of interesting mechanic, otherwise it would just be a small detail that servers no purpose.
notsatan
level1
level1

Postby notsatan » Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:32 pm

I think being able to send food to prisoners instead of having them come to the canteen is pretty important since they have no other way of getting food while in lockdown/solitary.
BL4DE
level2
level2

Postby BL4DE » Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:08 pm

In fact most High Security Prisons hand out food instead of having a canteen.
Cantinas are very dangerous places in prisons. Even more so in prisons only 'inhabited' by high security prisoners.

Having a cantina is cheaper than having 10 or more guys delivering food and hauling empty food containers.
But just think of the possible outcome in a max sec prison when two groups of violent inmates are shoving each other to determine who gets food first.
Murder and mayhem await.
gpgekko
level1
level1

Postby gpgekko » Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:38 am

BL4DE wrote:In fact most High Security Prisons hand out food instead of having a canteen.
Cantinas are very dangerous places in prisons. Even more so in prisons only 'inhabited' by high security prisoners.

Having a cantina is cheaper than having 10 or more guys delivering food and hauling empty food containers.
But just think of the possible outcome in a max sec prison when two groups of violent inmates are shoving each other to determine who gets food first.
Murder and mayhem await.

I know of a famous one... :P
But I think it doesn't really make so much of a difference. In both cases you need a bunch of staff: either to hand out the food or to keep order in the canteen.
BL4DE
level2
level2

Postby BL4DE » Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:10 pm

A lot of staff is needed in any event.
But for the canteen solution more of the staff has to be security staff. And these are more costly than half- or noneducated kitchen helpers.
And by the way, food delivery can also be done by inmates.
gpgekko
level1
level1

Postby gpgekko » Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:18 pm

BL4DE wrote:A lot of staff is needed in any event.
But for the canteen solution more of the staff has to be security staff. And these are more costly than half- or noneducated kitchen helpers.

If you don't trust your prisoners to be able to come near each other in an open room overseen by staff, why do you trust them to go to other prisoners with their food.
Also, the reason why one could prefer a canteen is simply because you can keep better track of the cutlery. If you have a few prisoners who get their meals in their cells, you can keep track, but with all of them you really can't rely on prisoners to bring and collect it, you'll never find out where it went.

Security staff might be more costly then your kitchen helpers, but I think with a good design and effective placing of your guards you won't need all that many. Maybe if we could assign guards to go to the canteen at dinner time and patrol a different building the rest of the time it would be more cost effective.
BL4DE
level2
level2

Postby BL4DE » Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:50 pm

gpgekko wrote:
BL4DE wrote:A lot of staff is needed in any event.

If you don't trust your prisoners to be able to come near each other in an open room overseen by staff, why do you trust them to go to other prisoners with their food.
Also, the reason why one could prefer a canteen is simply because you can keep better track of the cutlery. If you have a few prisoners who get their meals in their cells, you can keep track, but with all of them you really can't rely on prisoners to bring and collect it, you'll never find out where it went.

Security staff might be more costly then your kitchen helpers, but I think with a good design and effective placing of your guards you won't need all that many. Maybe if we could assign guards to go to the canteen at dinner time and patrol a different building the rest of the time it would be more cost effective.

I said "can" not "will".
Only well behaving inmates would be doing this job.
The ones who have started figths, destroyed installations and the like are not eligable.
And of course no prisoner should have contact to another without supervision. A guard has to be present in the cell block before the food able to be delivered.

For the reason of 'being able to keep track of the cutlery'.
There are people having more calm thoughts with 5 aggravated and pissed off vigilantes in front of them than 20 mildly anoyed inmates locked in the cells out of view.
I'm not one of them.
Exodusflame
level0

Postby Exodusflame » Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:19 pm

i feel itd be good to use on high security prisoners as they can be more volatile and fight more so like have it as an option so they dont kill each other that and certain medium security prisoners too but have it happen for all automatically if the prison is in lockdown.

Return to “Community Members”