Possible random events?

(previously 'DEVELOPER') Private forum for registered community members. To register, please visit www.prison-architect.com/register.

Moderator: NBJeff

Urigella
level1
level1

Possible random events?

Postby Urigella » Sat Mar 23, 2013 1:47 pm

I was thinking about some potential random events that could be added in at some point. Maybe a combo of realistic things and for those that like a bit of crazy some, well... crazy things :P.

Maybe a van pulling up outside and blowing up part of the wall to get one of their guys out of prison, or a guard going crazy and holding a bunch of staff hostage?

On the crazy side of things, well I'm not sure because I like realistic... How about a mutant rat breaking in and controlling the mind of the warden? Or an alien invasion trying to take out the prisoners to serve them on their home world :lol:
Do unto others as they do unto you.
christopher1006
level5
level5

Postby christopher1006 » Sat Mar 23, 2013 7:44 pm

I think random events could be fun so long as we had the ability to turn them off before we start and the ability to make them happen with a debug menu just for the heck of it.
Urigella
level1
level1

Postby Urigella » Sat Mar 23, 2013 9:06 pm

christopher1006 wrote:I think random events could be fun so long as we had the ability to turn them off before we start and the ability to make them happen with a debug menu just for the heck of it.

Yeah for sure. I was thinking along the lines of when I used to play the various sim games that had the option to suddenly unleash terror upon your creation :twisted:
VoiD88
level5
level5

Postby VoiD88 » Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:36 pm

Urigella wrote:I was thinking along the lines of when I used to play the various sim games that had the option to suddenly unleash terror upon your creation :twisted:

This is especially funny in the new Sim City, in which you have no way to reverse the event (due to no more local saves) and have to live with the destruction that you caused :P
Life is NOT like a box of chocolates, it's more like a jar of jalapeños: What you do today might burn your a** tomorrow.
~Garfield
christopher1006
level5
level5

Postby christopher1006 » Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:42 pm

VoiD88 wrote:
Urigella wrote:I was thinking along the lines of when I used to play the various sim games that had the option to suddenly unleash terror upon your creation :twisted:

This is especially funny in the new Sim City, in which you have no way to reverse the event (due to no more local saves) and have to live with the destruction that you caused :P

It could be worse, as a part of their region system you could be allowed to set off region wide disasters. I bet the people you're playing with would love you for that one.
Urigella
level1
level1

Postby Urigella » Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:14 am

christopher1006 wrote:It could be worse, as a part of their region system you could be allowed to set off region wide disasters. I bet the people you're playing with would love you for that one.

Haha, the game would be rage quit heaven for an extremely long time.
Orosian
level1
level1

Postby Orosian » Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:45 am

I've reached a point of balance whereby everybody seems to be happy and days are uneventful. I was just thinking that random events would be nice to keep things challenging if it's been peaceful for too long. At the moment it seems I can just go to cruise control and turn over an easy profit.
Urigella
level1
level1

Postby Urigella » Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:53 am

Orosian wrote:I've reached a point of balance whereby everybody seems to be happy and days are uneventful. I was just thinking that random events would be nice to keep things challenging if it's been peaceful for too long. At the moment it seems I can just go to cruise control and turn over an easy profit.

Yeah that's the way I started pondering it all to. Watching my prison tick over, pretty much 100% peacefull at all times, then my imagination pictured a Dr going crazy, or a guard losing it and running through the prison trying to kill people or something. Little things just to keep us on our toes even when all seems calm. But like we've said already, with the option to turn it off so that our prisons aren't all but destroyed if we don't want them to be :D
Orosian
level1
level1

Postby Orosian » Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:28 pm

I've been thinking on it some more, and I think random events need not be obvious events (such as in sim city).

Perhaps an inmate could start looking for weaknesses, perhaps they could acquire or create wire cutters and use them on the fence (makes metal detectors more important); they could acquire/create tools to dig through concrete with leading to escapes through walls if not monitored enough or down into large water pipes which they could crawl through?

Perhaps they could start forming groups/cells which a keen eye could spot, and if the group is allowed to persist it could lead to bolder behaviour.

If the prison is making a net loss perhaps a prisoner may bribe a guard to turn the other cheek? If funds are particularly low prisoners may be more prone to trying to power their way out.
christopher1006
level5
level5

Postby christopher1006 » Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:52 pm

Though I think random events on the scale of sim city would be fun just for they why not factor. Who wouldn't want to see their prison beat up by some meteors or maybe a mob truck breaking through your walls, gunning down any guards or hapless prisoners in the way, to get their boss out? If there's going to be random events we should be able to make it things that will actually change things up.

@Orosian You're thinking more about events that would normally happen in the game itself, prisoners will eventually be forming groups to accomplish goals more successfully and be able to take advantage of the situation. Escapes are a planned feature as well, this thread is more along the lines of events that will cause immediate chaos in the prison to see how you can react to it (after of course making a separate save of the prison in order to restart if it all goes awry).
Orosian
level1
level1

Postby Orosian » Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:45 pm

@christopher1006 To elaborate, if these events happen, but are not triggered by unhappy prisoners, and neither are they occurring at a set time, then they are still random events. So that's why I posted them here :)
christopher1006
level5
level5

Postby christopher1006 » Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:16 pm

Orosian wrote:@christopher1006 To elaborate, if these events happen, but are not triggered by unhappy prisoners, and neither are they occurring at a set time, then they are still random events. So that's why I posted them here :)

Okay so you're referring to their use outside of normal game-play similar to how Chris's debug menu works but without direct user input. In that case yeah, I hope that we'll be able to get all kinds of random events and a menu to choose it. Sometimes it'd be fun to sit back and see how your prison deals with gang violence and someone trying to pull off the greatest escape of the century with a fork, lighter and a set of keys rather than utter annihilation of your prison.
gmyx
level1
level1

Postby gmyx » Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:55 pm

You can create disasters right now, but you need to plan them. The easiest is to punch a hole in the outside wall :twisted: Took my guards days to clean up the mess.
robertmb
level0

Postby robertmb » Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:05 pm

I once made a mistake of trying to expand the cell block - didn't really pay attention and only noticed at some point "hey, were are my guests?"
Some things like that might be interesting.
Urigella
level1
level1

Postby Urigella » Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:25 pm

robertmb wrote:I once made a mistake of trying to expand the cell block - didn't really pay attention and only noticed at some point "hey, were are my guests?"
Some things like that might be interesting.

Haha, i've been there my friend.

Some nice ideas popping up, and nice to know that escapes etc are planned anyway for the future.

Return to “Community Members”