Alpha 8 - Lets Play prep

General chit-chat and minor questions about just about anything

Moderator: NBJeff

What do you think of the "Concentric Circles" Design Idea?

Poll ended at Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:13 pm

I think it's great!
53%
I've seen it done, but I like it.
No votes
I don't think it'll work, do a mass-death row room instead.
11%
U R teh Moronz, wY you try make teh circlingz?
5%
Don't care in the slightest
32%

Total votes: 19
DiscoMcDisco
level0

Alpha 8 - Lets Play prep

Postby DiscoMcDisco » Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:13 pm

Hello folks,

So I've been playing now since Alpha 5 and I'm completely addicted. I'm finding it hard to find the time to record but I am planning on doing a Lets Play when Alpha 8 is released.

Are there any particular things you guys actually want to see? Any common problems you'd like to see me attempt to complete? Any features inbound that make Alpha 8 unique over the others? (i.e. Only guards opening doors from A7)...

The theme of the Lets Play will be "Concentric Cells" ... I'm essentially going to build out in rings with different things in each (since we can now assign different levels of prisoner to different blocks). I think it could make for some really interesting design and logistics problems that would be really fun to try and balance :)

Anyways, Let me know your thoughts. I'd love for people to get involved, pick on me, comment and praise, whatever you like.

Cheers all,

DiscoMcDisco
Parker22
level2
level2

Postby Parker22 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:58 pm

I say go for it. The more the merrier
Daimaju
level2
level2

Postby Daimaju » Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:02 pm

Seriously, what is it with all those LP's lately? YouTube is spammed by videos of "someone" playing a game.
What a waste of time, really.

Don't want to crush your feelings but... why should anyone care about you playing the game we all have as well?
The 10 ppl who don't have it, wont buy it because of LP number 392.816, really.

Anyways, if you need to do this, go for it and be happy about the 100 views...
111none
level4
level4

Postby 111none » Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:22 pm

Daimaju wrote:Seriously, what is it with all those LP's lately? YouTube is spammed by videos of "someone" playing a game.

Don't want to crush your feelings but... why should anyone care about you playing the game we all have as well?

currently reporting one for giving an alpha 7 pirate
With the sincerest regards,
111none
Daimaju
level2
level2

Postby Daimaju » Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:26 pm

111none wrote:
Daimaju wrote:Seriously, what is it with all those LP's lately? YouTube is spammed by videos of "someone" playing a game.

What now!?
BL4DE
level2
level2

Postby BL4DE » Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:01 pm

Daimaju wrote:
111none wrote:

What now!?

Many of the LP'ers on Youtube are pirates or mentally open to 'test a demo before buying, pirate if no demo!' and are either giving links in the description or in private messages.
Both prohibited by youtube. He's reporting them and their accounts get either banned or deleted.
TheXWolf
level2
level2

Postby TheXWolf » Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:09 am

I actually like the LPs, but I don't watch YT I watch Twitch.tv cus I like the live streaming. I haven't lately, but I usually could get a couple hundred at a time.
Watching someone doing something you aren't doing in real time can be rather addicting. Even if it's just the social aspect.
Though personally I won't be doing anything with the game as far as streaming goes until release, just cus most people will assume it's broken
if they don't see everything working the way IV wants it to. 8)
Some people are worried about the difference between right and wrong. I'm worried about the difference between wrong and fun. - P.J. Rourke
DiscoMcDisco
level0

Postby DiscoMcDisco » Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:06 am

I can't believe people pirate during Alpha, makes me a little sick. If there's a way for me to keep an eye on this, other than directly being offered something, let me know. They need stopping.

As for doing an LP, sometimes it just focuses my play a little better. When i have to describe what I'm planning or doing it's like having a little brainstorm with myself.

Additionally, This game is brilliant and I like giving them the cash AND the exposure (every little helps i suppose).

Streaming is possibly an option, My Broadband has just been upgraded to 120Mb Down / 4Mb up, so I'd defo consider trying it out.
christopher1006
level5
level5

Postby christopher1006 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:59 am

DiscoMcDisco wrote:I can't believe people pirate during Alpha, makes me a little sick. If there's a way for me to keep an eye on this, other than directly being offered something, let me know. They need stopping.

It's actually quite interesting that people consider PA worth pirating considering it is as you said only in Alpha, an extremely early alpha at that.
Urigella
level1
level1

Postby Urigella » Sat Mar 23, 2013 12:44 pm

I've been reading through the topics and just have to say that the attitude of some people on here is really unfortunate. If someone wants to make a let's play, let them, if you don't like it you don't even have to comment.
It's like a simple question or post can get nothing but sarcasm or insults, such a shame. A good game like prison architect could do so well if the community built around it was in some way supportive and encouraging towards eachother. It's that old thing... If you've got nothing nice to say, why say it? Let's not let this forum go the way of the early minecraft forums and actually help eachother out.
Daimaju
level2
level2

Postby Daimaju » Sat Mar 23, 2013 1:06 pm

Urigella wrote:I've been reading through the topics and just have to say that the attitude of some people on here is really unfortunate. If someone wants to make a let's play, let them, if you don't like it you don't even have to comment.
It's like a simple question or post can get nothing but sarcasm or insults, such a shame. A good game like prison architect could do so well if the community built around it was in some way supportive and encouraging towards eachother. It's that old thing... If you've got nothing nice to say, why say it? Let's not let this forum go the way of the early minecraft forums and actually help eachother out.

So pink unicorns, group hugs and rainbows are OK, but dare someone says something critical?
I don't know where you live, but where I live, I am free to express my opinion, no matter how shitty it may be.

And my opinion is that the internet does not need 489.437 let's plays of PA (or any other game).
I can only shake my head when I see some YT channels with TONS of LP's but every video has like 13 views.

Sometimes, someone needs to piss in people's cornflakes. It's natural, normal and a form of communication.

As long as no one gets hurt, it's fine. Don't misunderstand me, I share your opinion about not insulting people etc.
No one needs that here.

But that must not mean I, or anyone, is not allowed to tell someone on a forum his opinion.
Urigella
level1
level1

Postby Urigella » Sat Mar 23, 2013 1:13 pm

Daimaju wrote:
So pink unicorns, group hugs and rainbows are OK, but dare someone says something critical?
I don't know where you live, but where I live, I am free to express my opinion, no matter how shitty it may be.

And my opinion is that the internet does not need 489.437 let's plays of PA (or any other game).
I can only shake my head when I see some YT channels with TONS of LP's but every video has like 13 views.

Sometimes, someone needs to piss in people's cornflakes. It's natural, normal and a form of communication.

As long as no one gets hurt, it's fine. Don't misunderstand me, I share your opinion about not insulting people etc.
No one needs that here.

But that must not mean I, or anyone, is not allowed to tell someone on a forum his opinion.

And yet again, my point is proven. An opinion is fine, everyone has them and can express them. But an opinion laced with sarcasm is immediately out to upset/insult someone whether that was the intention or not. For example, you start your reply with 'so pink unicorns, group hugs and rainbows are ok'... Totally not needed, it's said to immediately get someone back up. Saying you have a right to an opinion is fine, but lace a post with crap like that and it immediately loses all merit. Oh and no, at no time does anyone 'need to p**s on someones cornflakes'. It's not natural or normal in any way and only serves to try and upset them in some way. Let people get on with their lives, play the games they want to play how they want to play them, it doesn't effect you in any way. Nobody forces you to watch what you do not want to watch.
christopher1006
level5
level5

Postby christopher1006 » Sat Mar 23, 2013 1:27 pm

Urigella wrote:And yet again, my point is proven. An opinion is fine, everyone has them and can express them. But an opinion laced with sarcasm is immediately out to upset/insult someone whether that was the intention or not. For example, you start your reply with 'so pink unicorns, group hugs and rainbows are ok'... Totally not needed, it's said to immediately get someone back up. Saying you have a right to an opinion is fine, but lace a post with crap like that and it immediately loses all merit. Oh and no, at no time does anyone 'need to p**s on someones cornflakes'. It's not natural or normal in any way and only serves to try and upset them in some way. Let people get on with their lives, play the games they want to play how they want to play them, it doesn't effect you in any way. Nobody forces you to watch what you do not want to watch.

So you're okay with an opinion so long as it's neutral or laced with happy thoughts? I understand what you're trying to get across but at the same time you can't expect everyone to be filled with positive thoughts %100 though their entire lives. You also can't expect people not to voice their opinion on things they don't like. It's quite natural for people to voice frustration such as in Daimaju's case where he/she is fed up with the large amount of people making Let's Play videos.
Urigella
level1
level1

Postby Urigella » Sat Mar 23, 2013 1:33 pm

christopher1006 wrote:
Urigella wrote:And yet again, my point is proven. An opinion is fine, everyone has them and can express them. But an opinion laced with sarcasm is immediately out to upset/insult someone whether that was the intention or not. For example, you start your reply with 'so pink unicorns, group hugs and rainbows are ok'... Totally not needed, it's said to immediately get someone back up. Saying you have a right to an opinion is fine, but lace a post with crap like that and it immediately loses all merit. Oh and no, at no time does anyone 'need to p**s on someones cornflakes'. It's not natural or normal in any way and only serves to try and upset them in some way. Let people get on with their lives, play the games they want to play how they want to play them, it doesn't effect you in any way. Nobody forces you to watch what you do not want to watch.

So you're okay with an opinion so long as it's neutral or laced with happy thoughts? I understand what you're trying to get across but at the same time you can't expect everyone to be filled with positive thoughts %100 though their entire lives. You also can't expect people not to voice their opinion on things they don't like. It's quite natural for people to voice frustration such as in Daimaju's case where he/she is fed up with the large amount of people making Let's Play videos.

You can disagree with something without being sarcastic or rude, that was my one and only point. But ultimately I still come back to wondering why it's an issue? For example I can't stand the amount of crap music that is constantly flying at me on youtubes main page, but at no time would I let it get to me. I simply look at the title of it and say to myself, "i'll not watch that". Then I carry on with my life. If I watch a video I don't like, fair enough I didn't like it and may even tell them why, but I'll say it constructively and give the actual reason. But again I wouldnt go out of my way to be rude or sarcastic to them, it's completely uncalled for. If I am able to skip over things I don't like, then it's well within the capability of everyone to do it, that way the people can all carry on doing what they do without ruffling feathers.
I can see this is the type of discussion that would have no end so I'm not going to give it any additional time, I've made my point and I still feel that it was a perfectly fair one.
Do unto others as they do unto you.
Daimaju
level2
level2

Postby Daimaju » Sat Mar 23, 2013 1:34 pm

You did not get my point, yet I blame myself for poorly expressing it.

I do let anyone play and do whatever they want - or did I tell him to stop? I simply stated my opinion about it.
The unicorns where dragged in because you seemed a little too idealistic to me:

Tell someone this is a good idea = accepted
Tell someone this is no good idea = unacceptable

And that is something that makes me nervous.

Return to “General”