[Feature Request] Blueprint Drawing Overlay

(previously 'DEVELOPER') Private forum for registered community members. To register, please visit www.prison-architect.com/register.

Moderator: NBJeff

xyzyxx
level5
level5

Postby xyzyxx » Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:38 pm

Alternatively, the other way to make building easier would be the ability to markup the map like the OP said. Basically have the ability to put green squares on the map that do absolutely nothing. The only alternative right now is to use fences (that is, green squares that tell your workmen to go build fences :roll:)

This way, for example, I could place little 2x3 marks all over the map where I want my cells to be, then I can delete and rearrange them as I need to before throwing out actual build orders (because my cell placements and plans never fit together correctly the first time :cry:)

Pausing the game and playing with fences and things is almost as good, but as it is, pause-building is a little wonky sometimes.
Some people talk because they have something to say. Others talk because they have to say something.
phees
level1
level1

Postby phees » Sat Oct 06, 2012 2:50 am

Yes!
You should be able to write stuff in the tile cells, color them in, plan walls etc. You wouldn't need to plan all the utilities, just give us custom colored tiles :)
Copy & paste would be good as well.
And as a font, use that cool "Prison Architect" Logo font.
EDIT: Or one of these free fonts: http://www.fontspace.com/category/architect
Causeless
level2
level2

Postby Causeless » Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:52 pm

If we have this. I think it should be more than just a planning block system. We should be able to create easily modifiable phantom versions of every item, and they won't be built until you press a button which makes it "official", and it starts being built.
Sebas
level1
level1

Postby Sebas » Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:50 pm

I did have the same idea but i stuffed the idea out a bit more so please read on...

What lead me to this was that when I had a bit of spare time I designed a prison in an excel spreadsheet. I made all cells square and filled cells black for the wall for example and I loved the convenience of drawing the buildings, mark and drop and drag walls around, copy and paste repeating indoor wall structure and so on which lead me to the idea of a blueprint mode you can activate similar to the deployment mode.

So here the actual idea:

In the menu bar is a button called Blueprints. Once in blueprint mode everything is displayed white on blue background, the staff and prisoners would be still visible as normal just in a just drawn in a white outline and go after their normal duty / needs.
All building does work normal, just with the added bonus nothing is final until the build order is given.

Things can be marked and dropped and dragged around as needed. Foundations can be expanded or reduced as necessary with hovering the mouse over the edge or corner. Marked areas can be cloned and pasted. Things can be deleted as required
But instead of the worker to start immediately one would have to mark an area in a box and click a build now button. The price to build the selected area would be shown as a tooltip so players can make sure they have money left for the rest of the ingame day.
RMJ1984
level2
level2

Postby RMJ1984 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:53 pm

Yeah totally agree with this, would be nice to be able to plan a bit ahead and such.
PeterbusUnum
level0

Postby PeterbusUnum » Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:57 pm

I really don't care how this gets implemented but it should do these things:

Allow to plan everything (each item, wall, utility, everything!).
Once you are done you are able to assign priorities to things like: First build the Foundation, then the utility, afterwards additional walls followed by jaildoors and everything else. Also you should be able to delay parts of your plan from being created if you have to work on a budget. Then this would be completly great and useful.

A lot to do, whilst you are waiting for more money coming in :)
christopher1006
level5
level5

Postby christopher1006 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:07 pm

This isn't the first time this has been suggested but all the same this is a feature I hope is planned. It'd be a bit more than slightly sad if we had a game called prison architect and yet there was no way to make blueprints, an item that is commonly associated with the design of objects and buildings.
111none
level4
level4

Postby 111none » Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:57 pm

HowPeculiars wrote:Image

Great idea

no, no no.
[Pulls out M9]
With the sincerest regards,
111none
navarone9942b
level0

Postby navarone9942b » Wed Mar 20, 2013 4:19 pm

A bit late i know but...

Am I really the only one that uses solitary cell designation to plan expansions, at least till IV implements an actual Architect Mode/Overlay.
a strange game, the only winning move is *Nuclear Launch Detected*
VoiD88
level5
level5

Postby VoiD88 » Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:00 pm

navarone9942b wrote:A bit late i know but...

Am I really the only one that uses solitary cell designation to plan expansions, at least till IV implements an actual Architect Mode/Overlay.

I usually do it with the Workshop designation and leave that in place while the workmen do their thing; this way, if midnight comes around before the thing is finished, I get some money from it xD
Life is NOT like a box of chocolates, it's more like a jar of jalapeños: What you do today might burn your a** tomorrow.
~Garfield
craftier99
level1
level1

Postby craftier99 » Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:42 pm

xyzyxx wrote:It would be awesome if you could go into a separate mode (rather than an overlay on the map), where you design an entire building including room designations, furniture and maybe utilities. Then you can return to the regular gameplay mode and plonk that building down where you want it, with one click.

And you could be able to save your designed buildings (similar to saving reactor designs in SpaceChem) and make multiples of them if needed.

I suggest this be implemented and use it to replace the current "clone" tool.

1+

Return to “Community Members”