28%
No
72%

Total votes: 234
Parker22
level2
level2

Postby Parker22 » Sun Mar 10, 2013 1:57 pm

It's interesting- for a lot of us it's the first experience of being on 'the other side of the fence' regarding pirate bay. We get defensive about protecting our investment and jealous? Of other people getting a free ride?

No bother, it can't be stopped, as many people wouldn't have bought it in the first place (I'm thinking about limited pocket money here)...

question is-how do we react to it?
Last edited by Parker22 on Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
christopher1006
level5
level5

Postby christopher1006 » Sun Mar 10, 2013 2:07 pm

You let pirates be pirates and try to get as many of them as possible to make an investment. TPB is here to stay so one might as well take maximum advantage of the economic benefit it can offer rather than focusing on the blatantly obvious that you will never be able to do anything about. I get that it can be harmful to game developers but if IV were to start a war against piracy with ridiculous DRMs and turn it into that new Sim City then they will get people who might otherwise have bought the game to pirate it just to rub it into IVs face to prove that there's nothing that can be done without treating the customer like a criminal and can still be pirated.
csaftoiu
level1
level1

Postby csaftoiu » Sun Mar 10, 2013 6:53 pm

I would rather they spend their time making a game than trying to sue people who want to play it.
Parker22
level2
level2

Postby Parker22 » Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:44 pm

The games gonna be great - they'll have to buy it eventually. Why not do it now and join the club!
TimberTon
level1
level1

Postby TimberTon » Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:22 pm

Something related...

I remember that i once bought a game and their was absolutly no chance to get it started cause of the fucked up copyright protection.

After reading in the boards i downloaded a cracked version via torrent and i was able to play it.

They released a patch a week after that, but they achieved the contrary of what they wanted - pirates could easily play their game without any problems while a lot of the people who bought it actually couldn't.

And, after doing so, they may counted me statistically as a loss of 50 e... including other people that needed a cracked copy of their actually bought game.

I don't know any working protection except a good Multiplayer and official servers, that's why their is no offline or lan mode for diablo 3.
perryliu97
level2
level2

Postby perryliu97 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 6:32 pm

TimberTon wrote:Something related...

I remember that i once bought a game and their was absolutly no chance to get it started cause of the fucked up copyright protection.

After reading in the boards i downloaded a cracked version via torrent and i was able to play it.

They released a patch a week after that, but they achieved the contrary of what they wanted - pirates could easily play their game without any problems while a lot of the people who bought it actually couldn't.

And, after doing so, they may counted me statistically as a loss of 50 e... including other people that needed a cracked copy of their actually bought game.

I don't know any working protection except a good Multiplayer and official servers, that's why their is no offline or lan mode for diablo 3.

God I can count quite a few times that has happened, especially with EA.
But let's not talk about that here.
The rest of the internet is already busy arguing.
TimberTon
level1
level1

Postby TimberTon » Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:51 pm

But let's not talk about that here.

But isn't that the intended topic of the thread?

Almost every attempt to stop piracy didn't worked or actually punished the wrong people, i guess its better to convince people to buy your game instead of punishing them if they don't.

I think IV is doing good in these perspective (if you support them you will be part of the game, that is great).

Some indie Developers with great ideas gain a lot of money by Kickstarter or donations, it's not like people don't want to support you if you have a great idea. (Castle Story and Dwarf fortress for example).

Focusing on Massive multiplayer seems to be the only attempt that actually works (Their are emulated Servers for World of warcraft, but most other mmorpg's and mmo's can only be played with a bought version).

Minecraft selled a lot of copy as well, and you easily find cracked copy of minecraft.

I have no evidence, but i believe that big companys suffer way more from piracy then indie developers, they spend way more money and thus take a higher risk while most people aren't really interested in supporting them(even though they buy the games). The relation is also different, if you read in the board of project zomboid, dwarf fortress, prison architect and then read the boards of any ea game or blizzard, its a completely different atmosphere.

Just a stated multiple times on this thread, focusing on anti piracy or copyright protection would be a waste of time and money, especially for a indie developer, best thing they can do is convincing a lot of people to buy and support this game.
111none
level4
level4

Postby 111none » Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:20 pm

Its free advertising for IV :lol:
With the sincerest regards,
111none
perryliu97
level2
level2

Postby perryliu97 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:56 pm

111none wrote:Its free advertising for IV :lol:

Hey...
What if IV spends ONE day spamming the pirate bay with modified versions of Prison architect?
It starts up fine...
Runs fine at the beginning...
ALL the prisoners are convicted for video game piracy.
Then the game slows down and down and down, up till the point where it is unplayable.
Finally, a giant sign just pops up saying "Fxck you for pirating!"
christopher1006
level5
level5

Postby christopher1006 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:26 pm

I think perry is on to something with every prisoner having all the prisoners be charged with Indy game piracy.
111none
level4
level4

Postby 111none » Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:58 pm

looks up
^
|
|
agrees, must be a noob.
With the sincerest regards,
111none
NeatNit
level5
level5

Postby NeatNit » Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:59 pm

perryliu97 wrote:Then the game slows down and down and down, up till the point where it is unplayable.
Doesn't it do this anyway?? :?

But yes, having all prisoners charged with video game piracy is genius.
Parker22
level2
level2

Postby Parker22 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:23 am

perryliu97 wrote:
111none wrote:Its free advertising for IV :lol:

Hey...
What if IV spends ONE day spamming the pirate bay with modified versions of Prison architect?
It starts up fine...
Runs fine at the beginning...
ALL the prisoners are convicted for video game piracy.
Then the game slows down and down and down, up till the point where it is unplayable.
Finally, a giant sign just pops up saying "Fxck you for pirating!"

I like this idea.

But as long as they dont get name in the game for free, as well
christopher1006
level5
level5

Postby christopher1006 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:48 am

caveatgez wrote:I like this idea.

But as long as they dont get name in the game for free, as well

Perry is just saying to put a version of PA on TPB, not giving out free stuff that others had to pay extra for.
lunaticneko
level2
level2

Re: [Suggestion] Taking Out Prison-Architect off Pirate Bay

Postby lunaticneko » Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:09 am

NOFA7CHX wrote:
Ceramic wrote:If huge record companies and copyright holders with billions of dollars and hundreds of lawyers can't pull that off, I hardly think small software company can ( No offense Introversion, you are awesome! ). :cry:

What if TPB actually takes PA down because PA is "indie"? Just thinking, though.

Return to “General”