Fighting Piracy

General chit-chat and minor questions about just about anything

Moderator: NBJeff

CarlW21
level1
level1

Fighting Piracy

Postby CarlW21 » Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:32 pm

So yea, since I pledged $50 to PA I thought hmm, I would hate to think that their are torrents floating about.

I did a search on iso hunt and kat and I did find what claimed to be "Prison Architect Alpha 2 - working!" however judging by comments these are not legit and usually spam.

Anyways I was wondering what should we do (if their is anything) if we come across a copy on a torrent site ?

It does kind of hinder development with cheap skates getting it for free and passing it around like some Online STD !
Rihtar
level0

Postby Rihtar » Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:15 pm

What you're stating is a very common mistake.

If a product is really good and worth the purchase, most pirates will go and purchase the product since they'll wish to help out the developer, specially if it's a indie developer. Take Minecraft as an example, there are bunch of pirated copies floating around, yet it's still selling like hotcakes - Why? Because it's actually worth buying and playing.

Maybe you don't realize, but most pirates are pretty smart and know that without supporting the developers of their favorite titles, they'll stay empty handed in the future.
koshensky
level3
level3

Postby koshensky » Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:01 am

Rather than starting another thread that's going to degenerate into the pros and cons of internet piracy, I'll answer the OPs actual question.

As far as I know, there isn't a set procedure in place with regards taking down torrents of your content unless you physically request for that torrent to be taken down for copyright violations. The only thing we can do in this instance is give Introversion a heads-up over what you've seen and let them deal with it accordingly.

Methods of contact are Twitter: @IVSoftware or their contact page
ronanc
level4
level4

Postby ronanc » Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:02 am

Yup, what koshensky said and to quote from The Pirate Bay...

"we used to have a nice graph here, but it's simpler to just say: 0 torrents has been removed, and 0 torrents will ever be removed"
Lightofkolob
level0

Postby Lightofkolob » Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:22 am

Most of my friends got into this game from a torrent site, and pirating it led to buys. If if a game or movie is great pirates are going to pay for it. Stop knocking piracy
ISDP
level0

Postby ISDP » Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:31 pm

koshensky wrote:Rather than starting another thread that's going to degenerate into the pros and cons of internet piracy, I'll answer the OPs actual question.

As far as I know, there isn't a set procedure in place with regards taking down torrents of your content unless you physically request for that torrent to be taken down for copyright violations. The only thing we can do in this instance is give Introversion a heads-up over what you've seen and let them deal with it accordingly.

Methods of contact are Twitter: @IVSoftware or their contact page

Waste of time koshensky. What Rihtar said is the best thing to fight it. People will torrent no matter what you just have to make a product thats worth buying and supporting. I believe and the numbers show people believe in Prison Architect and IVSoftware enough to support them.
tertaim
level3
level3

Postby tertaim » Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:08 pm

Lightofkolob wrote:Most of my friends got into this game from a torrent site, and pirating it led to buys. If if a game or movie is great pirates are going to pay for it. Stop knocking piracy

I dare to bet most of the problems here in general are from pirates, they are leeching the forums, stop complaining and buy the game or be silent and pirate it.
paktsardines
level5
level5

Postby paktsardines » Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:58 pm

If, however, you find someone selling the game who's not introversion, then that's another story.
Chr12t0pher
level0

Postby Chr12t0pher » Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:34 pm

[]
Last edited by Chr12t0pher on Sat Jul 29, 2017 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
koshensky
level3
level3

Postby koshensky » Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:31 pm

I'm the opposite, I bought this game but now just sit and download torrents of it all day. I don't even play them, but I'm hoping that the more of them I download the fewer there are available, thus forcing people to buy the game...

That's how the internet works... right?
Mas Tnega
level5
level5

Postby Mas Tnega » Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:37 pm

Ignoring the part where you were most likely uploading as you downloaded, sure, that's totally depriving bandwidth from evil pirates. I've got a HNC in Internet; I know these things.
koshensky
level3
level3

Postby koshensky » Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:39 pm

Mas Tnega wrote:Ignoring the part where you were most likely uploading as you downloaded.

Well, of course - otherwise my downloads are too slow. I can't stop pirates if my ship's too slow.
robtmufc
level0

Postby robtmufc » Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:02 am

I myself have bought the game but a couple of my other friends have got pirated copies from torrent sites, there reason is because £20 is too much to pay for a game in alpha. In some ways I agree the price is abit much, maybe they could have sold the game for say 15$ rather then 30$, whilst its still in alpha and then as it goes further into beta then full game raise the base pack price abit more.
Lightofkolob
level0

Postby Lightofkolob » Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:04 am

koshensky wrote:I'm the opposite, I bought this game but now just sit and download torrents of it all day. I don't even play them, but I'm hoping that the more of them I download the fewer there are available, thus forcing people to buy the game...

That's how the internet works... right?

Lol ummm no that's so not how it works. I buy lots of Ames but I try before I buy too. I've saved a lot of money by not having to pay for crappy games. There is a benefit from purchasing this game I mean you can even get your name in the game. I've come to find most people the pirate because they aren't smar enough to figure outhow to do it themselves
bert_the_turtle
level5
level5

Postby bert_the_turtle » Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:21 am

robtmufc wrote:because £20 is too much to pay for a game in alpha.
Then don't play it. That is how life works. If you can't or don't want to afford something, you don't get it. So go and slap your friends. In a friendly manner with an inflatable hammer, of course, not encouraging violence here.

Return to “General”