Performance Issues

(previously 'DEVELOPER') Private forum for registered community members. To register, please visit www.prison-architect.com/register.

Moderator: NBJeff

Namro
level1
level1

Performance Issues

Postby Namro » Sat Nov 10, 2012 11:08 am

I bought the game when it was in Alpha 1 (like all of us) and it ran pretty smoothly with medium prisons, especially good with small ones.
Now, in Alpha 3, I can only play on small prisons. I am currently building a medium prison, and even though I have only 20 prisoners, I get some serious FPS issues.

I guess it's some bug which came out when they introduced the fog of war..
Last edited by Namro on Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
frenchfrog
level5
level5

Postby frenchfrog » Sat Nov 10, 2012 4:44 pm

May be the case.

1) What is your video card?

2) Have you updated your video drivers with the latest available on the manufacturer website (in opposition to the one provided by Windows Updates)?
The Ultimate Uplink Guide (for any question on Uplink)
Latest Uplink Patch
Carmelle
level1
level1

Postby Carmelle » Sat Nov 10, 2012 8:34 pm

Try disabling fog of war and see if that makes it better?
superspeck
level1
level1

Postby superspeck » Sun Nov 11, 2012 5:09 pm

I'm having problems as well. On my Mac (2010 13" MBP 2.4ghz Duo 4GB), it's related to the size of my Yard. (I'd been using a 30x30 yard for the first phase of my prison.), but then deteriorates again as I pass 40 prisoners and/or 30 staff. On my Win7 machine running a 3ghz AMD Phenom 4 (I think) with 4gb of RAM and a Radeon 7550, which runs most modern games on 'high' graphical settings, it still bogs down once I get past about 80 prisoners and 30 staff.

It's not related to fog of war; there's some other thing that's taking up RAM and CPU. It seems to be related to the size of your task list and how many prisoners you've got. The longer the task list (i.e. if you've been building up a new giant addition and you've got 30x30 of building to build plus a bunch of walls, pipes, and electrical) the more graphical and audio stuttering you get.

It was not this way in Alpha 1 for me on either machine. I was busy with work the week of Alpha 2 and didn't get to play it. It is the same whether or not I have Fog of War enabled.

The main problem is that the game is single-threaded, and isn't using the one thread it has effectively. There's low-hanging fruit that could be threaded ... I would probably break at least the audio out into a separate thread, if not the task list cycler. The physics model can send messages to the audio thread which can then execute them and doesn't need to talk back to the physics model. The task list cycler's looping seems to be robbing the main thread running the physics module of a small amount of CPU and memory. Prisoners, staff, and anything else that requires interaction with the physics module and is rendered graphically probably needs to stay in the main thread.
Frede1012
level1
level1

Postby Frede1012 » Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:50 pm

It has nothing to do with your system, when using a big map or just having loads of staff and prisoners the game starts acting strange.. :?
Carmelle
level1
level1

Postby Carmelle » Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:54 pm

superspeck wrote:The main problem is that the game is single-threaded, and isn't using the one thread it has effectively. There's low-hanging fruit that could be threaded ... I would probably break at least the audio out into a separate thread, if not the task list cycler. The physics model can send messages to the audio thread which can then execute them and doesn't need to talk back to the physics model. The task list cycler's looping seems to be robbing the main thread running the physics module of a small amount of CPU and memory. Prisoners, staff, and anything else that requires interaction with the physics module and is rendered graphically probably needs to stay in the main thread.

Eh, the game actually is multithreaded, and seems to open up more threads as the map becomes more complex. I opened up a random save game and it has 20 threads going, where it only had 14 with a base map open. I can't say based on that what is being threaded, but it's obviously something they've thought about.

It could be that the performance dropping is related to the memory leak. Or maybe something else all together, I dunno... a bit hard to profile without the code at hand :/
Aznsteel
level1
level1

Postby Aznsteel » Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:26 pm

Sorry i was just reading this and I saw Alpha 4, I just had to check if this was right :)
koshensky
level3
level3

Postby koshensky » Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:28 pm

Aznsteel wrote:Sorry i was just reading this and I saw Alpha 4, I just had to check if this was right :)

Nope, that was just a typo. Although when Chris comes back from holiday we should get Alpha 4 :)
Namro
level1
level1

Postby Namro » Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:57 am

Sorry I didn't reply, I was away.

My video cards are updated, and like I said, before Fog of War there was no problem.
I haven't tried playing without Fog of War yet, but that may be the problem.
Saranis
level2
level2

Postby Saranis » Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:09 pm

If you're experiencing performance issues have you considered the little blue pill?

(sorry, SOMEONE had to make this joke)
Namro
level1
level1

Postby Namro » Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:30 pm

Is it a matrix joke? If so, I don't get it >.<
DHKold
level1
level1

Postby DHKold » Tue Nov 13, 2012 2:45 pm

Namro wrote:Is it a matrix joke? If so, I don't get it >.<

Just search for pfizer blue pill on the internet ;)
ronanc
level4
level4

Postby ronanc » Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:28 pm

DHKold wrote:
Namro wrote:Is it a matrix joke? If so, I don't get it >.<

Just search for pfizer blue pill on the internet ;)

You seem to know a lot about these mysterious blue pills DHKold.. just sayin' :lol:
paktsardines
level5
level5

Postby paktsardines » Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:25 pm

Ah yes, that classic scene from the matrix:

Morpheus: "This is your last chance. After this, there is no turning back. You take the red pill - you stay in Wonderland and I show you how deep the rabbit-hole goes."

"Or, you take the blue pill - the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. Oh, and yo' bitchin' woman will won't be hatin' on ya no more!" *high fives!*
linkrhiblg0r
level1
level1

Postby linkrhiblg0r » Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:46 pm

i actually found that saving and reloading the map fixes my fps issues, on both win7 and 10.7.6

Return to “Community Members”