Impact Tone mod

Discuss your new mods and themes here

Moderator: Defcon moderators

DoctorMobius
level1
level1

Impact Tone mod

Postby DoctorMobius » Sat Jun 09, 2007 10:23 am

Originally made as a request by Radiant Caligula, this is for all the WarGames fans out there - Impact Tone, a deep 100Hz tone on nuclear impact. Using the sample in the popular WarGames mod, I've simply replaced the tone with a lower frequency one.

WARNING! This mod can damage lesser speakers - if you're zoomed in on a nuclear strike and can hear the sound clipping, turn the volume down to a level that your speaker cones can cope with.

Neal Jones (DoctorMobius)
Radiant Caligula
level5
level5

Postby Radiant Caligula » Sat Jun 09, 2007 5:19 pm

Fantastic. I don't have internet access at home right now, but I can't wait to check it out the second I get back online. Thank you so much!
-First you wanna kill me. Now you wanna kiss me?? BLOW!
kb5zht
level1
level1

Postby kb5zht » Mon Jun 11, 2007 3:41 am

I am modifying my game to closely match that of the war room screens in the movies.. I already changed the coastlines to white instead of the original blue that is default.

I don't know how to impliment mods, though, and would love to impliment this 100 hz sound for the impacts.... could somebody tell me how?
kb5zht
level1
level1

Postby kb5zht » Mon Jun 11, 2007 4:29 am

okay, I followed the instruction on the website... extract the mod zip file into the defcon/mods folder..... and in game, select it in the "mods" option and choose "apply".. i did this. The impact sounds haven't changed.

Anybody help me here?
kb5zht
level1
level1

Postby kb5zht » Mon Jun 11, 2007 4:45 am

ah, nevermind, I figured out the problem... for some reason the first extraction created an EXTRA folder called impact_tone.... and the game wasn't finding the files. I brought everything "up" one directory and now it works.

However, the original explosion sound still occurs undernead the wargames sound mod.... is this normal? i'm hearing the 100 hz tone AND the orignal explosion simultaneously.
Sirthomasthegreat
level3
level3

Postby Sirthomasthegreat » Mon Jun 11, 2007 9:38 pm

Triple post FTW!!!111!!!!!
DoctorMobius
level1
level1

Postby DoctorMobius » Mon Jun 11, 2007 11:24 pm

In answer to my triplicate posting friend above, the sound you are hearing is the original WarGames mod effect (a whoosh then tone) modified to replace the tone segment with a 100Hz sine wave - provided that you have my Impact Tone mod higher up the list than the WarGames mod, else I don't think the 100Hz will overrides the WarGames effect...

Am I right on this? The higher up the activated list, the higher the mod priority when dealing with changes to the same thing?
kb5zht
level1
level1

Postby kb5zht » Tue Jun 12, 2007 2:51 am

I wasn't aware posting three times in one thread was the end of the world. Figured defcon was :P

Yea, I only have 1 mod so far, and it's the impact tone.. it's perfect and it works except that you hear BOTH impact sounds- the original game one AND the one from the impact_tone file mod. Wondered if there was a way to stop this.
Sirthomasthegreat
level3
level3

Postby Sirthomasthegreat » Tue Jun 12, 2007 3:02 am

I did not do the worst. You are lucky xander didnt see this. He would butcher you, so if you dont want xander on your case dont do it again.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Tue Jun 12, 2007 3:47 am

Sirthomasthegreat wrote:I did not do the worst. You are lucky xander didnt see this. He would butcher you, so if you dont want xander on your case dont do it again.

You know, I love that y'all see me as some kind of evil boogeyman. It somehow strokes my ego. And yes, I did see this topic. But you seemed to have it well in hand.

;)

xander
Sirthomasthegreat
level3
level3

Postby Sirthomasthegreat » Tue Jun 12, 2007 11:40 am

xander wrote:You know, I love that y'all see me as some kind of evil boogeyman. It somehow strokes my ego. And yes, I did see this topic. But you seemed to have it well in hand.
;)
xander

Crap, does this mean I am turning into you?
DoctorMobius
level1
level1

Postby DoctorMobius » Wed Jun 13, 2007 6:26 pm

kb5zht wrote:I wasn't aware posting three times in one thread was the end of the world. Figured defcon was :P

Yea, I only have 1 mod so far, and it's the impact tone.. it's perfect and it works except that you hear BOTH impact sounds- the original game one AND the one from the impact_tone file mod. Wondered if there was a way to stop this.

In answer to this, I think you want this version; just the tone, not the initial whoosh...

DoctorMobius
Raccoon
level0

Postby Raccoon » Thu Dec 13, 2007 10:25 pm

Is it possible to use .wav files instead of .ogg for sound mods? The ogg compression causes undesired truncation of the tone's lead in and lead out, which is a common problem when trying to compress a pure tone in mp3 or ogg. I can produce my own tone files, but I'd like to use PCM Wave format.
shinygerbil
level5
level5
Location: Out, finding my own food. Also, doing the shinyBonsai Manoeuvre(tm)

Postby shinygerbil » Fri Dec 14, 2007 1:50 am

...Actually, I don't know. The best way to find out would be to try it yourself. I probably wouldn't notice the difference anyway :)

My guess is that it won't work, but you never know...
Here is my signature. Make of it what you will.

Return to “Mod Projects”