Where does the contraband comes from?

(previously 'DEVELOPER') Private forum for registered community members. To register, please visit www.prison-architect.com/register.

Moderator: NBJeff

Webarchitect
level1
level1

Where does the contraband comes from?

Postby Webarchitect » Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:56 pm

After installing metal detectors and taken measures to prevent prisoners from getting to the kitchen and to the storage room I still see some of them with contraband.
One inmate even had a gun!!!

So, I wonder, where does the contraband comes from. Surely a gun was not in the storage room or kitchen. The only possible explanation is corrupt staff. That's awesome!
It opens up a lot of cool possibilities for the game in the future. For one, how do we try and catch a corrupt guard or gardener? Would these individuals help prisoners gain access to forbidden areas? Would they help them escape?

Besides the fact that prisoners can get access to guns means they can take hostages or go on rampage killing everyone around!

I have no idea what are the priorities or plans that IV has for the game but it is full of exciting possibilities.

--
Illanair
level3
level3

Postby Illanair » Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:06 pm

I have a feeling pistols are actually carried inside by the prisoners themselves.
Webarchitect
level1
level1

Postby Webarchitect » Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:20 pm

Illanair wrote:I have a feeling pistols are actually carried inside by the prisoners themselves.

It is a possibility but would be far too unrealistic even compared to other unrealistic things that happen in the game.
You expect prisoners to be stripped off their clothes, searched and then given a uniform to wear. The chances of a guy getting in with a gun are close to zero. In real life we hear about contraband and knives being used by prisoners but I never heard of a prisoner getting in with a gun.

--
Mas Tnega
level5
level5

Postby Mas Tnega » Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:27 pm

It wouldn't shock me if the guards were currently about as vigilant as Chief Wiggum.

"Now where did I put my gun? Oh yeah, I set it down when I got a piece of cake."
Hessen
level3
level3

Postby Hessen » Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:34 pm

Webarchitect wrote:
Illanair wrote:I have a feeling pistols are actually carried inside by the prisoners themselves.

It is a possibility but would be far too unrealistic even compared to other unrealistic things that happen in the game.
You expect prisoners to be stripped off their clothes, searched and then given a uniform to wear. The chances of a guy getting in with a gun are close to zero. In real life we hear about contraband and knives being used by prisoners but I never heard of a prisoner getting in with a gun.

--

Prisons already bring in contraband and weapons already, although I've not seen one bring a gun in yet.
RMJ1984
level2
level2

Postby RMJ1984 » Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:42 pm

Atm i would assume it brought in directly by prisoners.

i forsee a room you can build where you pat down and strip search new inmates, as metal detector only well detects metal. plastic like a ruler can make a deadly weapon.
Hessen
level3
level3

Postby Hessen » Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:43 pm

RMJ1984 wrote:Atm i would assume it brought in directly by prisoners.

i forsee a room you can build where you pat down and strip search new inmates, as metal detector only well detects metal. plastic like a ruler can make a deadly weapon.

Metal detectors at the moment detect all contraband, not just metal objects.
zimboy69
level0

Postby zimboy69 » Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:50 pm

according to the wiki John Dillinger had friends smuggle guns into their prison cells
but i thought these were wooden and made in the prison either way there has been the apperance of guns in prison
Last edited by zimboy69 on Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Namro
level1
level1

Postby Namro » Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:51 pm

I got 3 prisoners coming in with guns. I simply search every single prisoner that arrives.
Also, I have like 3 metal detectors in my entrence ^_^
Daixiwen
level1
level1

Postby Daixiwen » Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:53 pm

Mas Tnega wrote:It wouldn't shock me if the guards were currently about as vigilant as Chief Wiggum.

"Now where did I put my gun? Oh yeah, I set it down when I got a piece of cake."

:D
Better not try to smuggle a gun by hiding it inside a cake then!
aioverlord
level0

Postby aioverlord » Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:48 pm

Do metal detectors actually work in this version? I have never had one go off, neither at the main entrance or at the entrance to the cell block.

I did see a guy with a revolver though. Took that away from him really quickly...
Webarchitect
level1
level1

Postby Webarchitect » Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:18 am

aioverlord wrote:Do metal detectors actually work in this version? I have never had one go off, neither at the main entrance or at the entrance to the cell block.

I did see a guy with a revolver though. Took that away from him really quickly...

Metal detectors work fine. And apparently they detect ANY illegal item.
However you don´t hear any alarm or see any lights flashing. Just keep some guards by it and they will take care of the inmates that cross the detector with illegal items.

--
flatlander
level1
level1

Postby flatlander » Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:30 am

Some things we just do not want to know.... >.>

I suspect it has something to do with the lack of cavity searches.
Webarchitect
level1
level1

Postby Webarchitect » Fri Oct 05, 2012 2:54 am

Apparently guards don´t have firearms only a Baton. Interesting that although some inmates have guns and guards don´t , that nothing happens.

-
ElectricGlow
level2
level2

Postby ElectricGlow » Sat Oct 06, 2012 2:40 am

flatlander wrote:Some things we just do not want to know.... >.>

I suspect it has something to do with the lack of cavity searches.

Without going into details, there has to be some random chance that even a metal object can get through a metal detector, pat down, or comprehensive inspection.

(As an "Easter Egg" they should very rarely have the inmates successfully smuggle in extreme or paradoxical objects/weapons. A submachine gun, explosive charge, laptop computer, a tapir, the Brandenburg Gate, and soforth.)

Return to “Community Members”