What feature would you like to see first?

(previously 'DEVELOPER') Private forum for registered community members. To register, please visit www.prison-architect.com/register.

Moderator: NBJeff

Which feature do you most want to see next?

Prisoners dig escape tunnels
15%
Guard deployment mode + Patrol routes
78%
Fire engines + Firemen (Emergency callout)
7%

Total votes: 1516
DanMonkey
level1
level1

Postby DanMonkey » Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:33 pm

Villan wrote:I'm not sure if it's in yet but sentences for prisoners would be good, maybe with how well you treat them indicating whether or not they re-offend and end up back in your care.

Also a choice of execution methods would satisfy my *sadistic* needs, you could build up from guillotine to more "humane" methods maybe?

The guillotine is actually among the most "humane" possible methods of execution, certainly more so than the electric chair, and arguably more than lethal injection, which can often be quite painful. It's an almost guaranteed instant death. The only reason they don't use it anymore is this nonsensical desire to "medicalize" execution.

But, yes, it would be nice to have different possible methods of execution, as well as sentences of varying length.

It would also be nice if we had some leeway in the philosophy we use to run the prison, ranging from maximum cruelty to harsh, but fair, to some kind of Scandinavian luxury retreat. We could choose, for example, "daily beatings for everyone!" or "keep the prisoners isolated from each other, but give them access to books, etc." or "pool tables and televisions with 24 hour free time". Every strategy should be somewhat viable, but being too harsh would require a lot of guards to control the rebellions, while being too lenient would lead to them abusing their privileges to smuggle in drugs, weapons, etc.
DonkSpirit
level1
level1

Postby DonkSpirit » Thu Oct 04, 2012 1:49 pm

Is there a plan to have different types of prisoners? Like death row prisoners (max security) and 2 other kinds of prisoners, who have a short and a middle ranged sentence? Every kind of prisoner need a seperate prison-building, so the murderers don't skrew with the "small guys".
Villan
level0

Postby Villan » Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:00 pm

But, yes, it would be nice to have different possible methods of execution, as well as sentences of varying length.

It would also be nice if we had some leeway in the philosophy we use to run the prison, ranging from maximum cruelty to harsh, but fair, to some kind of Scandinavian luxury retreat. We could choose, for example, "daily beatings for everyone!" or "keep the prisoners isolated from each other, but give them access to books, etc." or "pool tables and televisions with 24 hour free time". Every strategy should be somewhat viable, but being too harsh would require a lot of guards to control the rebellions, while being too lenient would lead to them abusing their privileges to smuggle in drugs, weapons, etc.

I just want to be able to stone shoplifters to death :D

Seriously though I do think the addition of execution methods and having the option to run the prison in a variety of ways would be great fun especially for unleashing one's inner sadist. (You wouldn't believe I'm actually anti-death penalty in real life would you?)

I'd also quite like the option of Shawshank style corruption being an option financially and morally ingame, but one I thing I warmed to in the discussion was different types of prisoners, it might be interesting to have warring gangs to add to the mayhem in your prison.
Check out my radio shows at www.siradio.fm every Monday at 4pm GMT and Friday/Sunday at 10pm GMT for gaming news and awesome tunes!
mizipzor
level1
level1

Postby mizipzor » Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:54 pm

I'm getting confused, is this thread only for the three alternatives listed or any and all features I can think of?
a__gun
level3
level3

Postby a__gun » Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:14 pm

mizipzor wrote:I'm getting confused, is this thread only for the three alternatives listed or any and all features I can think of?

Meant to be just those three...
Masochist
level1
level1

Postby Masochist » Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:15 pm

Not sure why everyone thinks its a general suggestion thread...there is already one of those.
mizipzor
level1
level1

Postby mizipzor » Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:39 pm

Masochist wrote:Not sure why everyone thinks its a general suggestion thread...there is already one of those.

...and the individual threads.
Lee Whelan
level0

Postby Lee Whelan » Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:34 pm

I'd like pathing fixes. it is kind of annoying when you have three enterences to a room and only one is used. All the other features that people have come up with are awsome too. But i'd say get the core game mechanics functioning first. Then you can add the swag.
Skardyn
level0

Postby Skardyn » Fri Oct 05, 2012 3:42 am

Voted for guard patrols as i just started playing yesterday and bought the chief but couldn't find the patrol route section. The gameplay is pretty addictive, glad I am coming along for the ride.
Skardyn
level0

Postby Skardyn » Fri Oct 05, 2012 3:44 am

Adding to my previous post, I would really like to see more grants other than the four starting ones as well. :D
Currently at 40 prisoners and the money is running low. :lol:
eagleFMJ
level1
level1

Postby eagleFMJ » Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:35 am

Skardyn wrote:Adding to my previous post, I would really like to see more grants other than the four starting ones as well. :D
Currently at 40 prisoners and the money is running low. :lol:

http://forums.introversion.co.uk/prison ... sc&start=0
Aatch
level0

Postby Aatch » Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:44 am

Just to clarify to everyone. This is an alpha. Development for any software goes: Add features, bug fix features, release, with those stages being alpha, beta and release respectively.

I'm a programmer, so I really don't want this 1 guy to be working on bug fixes. The reason being that it's a massive waste of time! If he goes to add Awesome Feature that Everybody Likes Ever and has to rewrite a ton of code then he now has to go back and debug and bunch of formerly debugged code. This gets progressively worse.

Basically, if you want any new features then wait until they are implemented before insisting on current things being fixed/balanced.
a__gun
level3
level3

Postby a__gun » Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:26 am

@Aatch +1
Josh_Boyd
level1
level1

Postby Josh_Boyd » Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:48 pm

After going to the Eurogamer Dev Conference, I liked both the Tunnelling and the Guard Deployment very much (I also liked the emergency call out, but not as much) However I feel that Guard Deployment would be better at this time, mainly due to the point that prisoners can already escape, and Gaurds don't have any special power that you can use (Such as patrol routes). I can live without tunnels longer than I can live without guard deployment.

Josh_Boyd
xsuite
level1
level1

Postby xsuite » Fri Oct 05, 2012 2:08 pm

Aatch wrote:Just to clarify to everyone. This is an alpha. Development for any software goes: Add features, bug fix features, release, with those stages being alpha, beta and release respectively.

If you're not bug fixing as you're going along, you're setting yourself up for cataclysmic failure, and you are very sloppy at writing code.

Return to “Community Members”