Bug Tracking System

(previously 'DEVELOPER') Private forum for registered community members. To register, please visit www.prison-architect.com/register.

Moderator: NBJeff

enystrom8734
level0

Postby enystrom8734 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:14 am

Mantis is definitely fine. Hopefully some people can use the search tool to clear away duplicates. I'm part of a small company and we really don't have duplicates because we only have 9 members part of QA! The only time there is a duplicate is if there was a bug found before release to us and then a developer writes it up.

I wouldn't mind volunteering my free time to search bugs and merge duplicates and such. Definitely had enough experience :D
dbelet
level0

Postby dbelet » Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:47 pm

I've only used bugzilla willing to try Mantis though
MrBrown
level1
level1

Re: Bug Tracking System

Postby MrBrown » Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:44 am

I remember Mojang (Minecraft) and DICE (Battlefield 3) used GetSatisfaction.com, which has a nice accessible interface, anyone who can use this forum can use it too. You can upvote topics in different predefined categories like bugs or suggestions. Commentaries inside each topic can be upvoted too which can often be helpful. But it seems it isn't free :|

I have used Mantis, but the interface felt a bit clunky to me. I'm also not sure if it has any kind of voting system.
pusheax
level0

Postby pusheax » Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:47 am

I'm curious what do you guys(devs) use to track bugs?
Webarchitect
level1
level1

Postby Webarchitect » Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:18 pm

Mantis for sure. ASAP.

--
mizipzor
level1
level1

Postby mizipzor » Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:39 pm

I'm very happy to hear that a proper bug tracker is on its way! Forums are for discussions, not bug reports.

I have no special preference as to which tracker. With that said, the feature I value the most is voting. I've seen to many reports in trackers spammed to oblivion with +1 statements. Please consider opting for one that provide some sort of "agree-button" or people will resort to comments.

Being a keyboard fanatic, I personally use YouTrack. But GetSatisfaction (already suggested) is also great, and that way you don't have to setup everything yourself.
lukegb
level1
level1

Re: Bug Tracking System

Postby lukegb » Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:22 pm

MrBrown wrote:I remember Mojang (Minecraft) and DICE (Battlefield 3) used GetSatisfaction.com,

Used being the past tense for Mojang. The current move is Mojang switching to JIRA, hosted by Atlassian (OnDemand). JIRA also isn't free, but it's great. It has tons of features, which is both an upside and a downside, and it's written in Java, which is apparently so complex they just recommend you use their pre-configured servlet container.

I've used Mantis. It's fugly, but that can be fixed with some stylesheets.

My recommendation would be something with a full-text search engine which auto-searches for similar issues when you start entering a title and description. I think GetSatisfaction probably does that, and there may be plugins for other systems.
DoZZaSR
level0

Postby DoZZaSR » Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:28 pm

Bugzilla

Trac is also good, Redmine is my fav, but unless the DEVS are going to use all the features then, just something simple like bugzilla.

On a side note, would it be worth having some comunity memebers do some triage/clearing down on the bugs list, looking for dupes/getting more information/organising that information in a standardised way? Kida like moderators but for a bug tracking system.
FatherFil
level0

Another vote for YouTrack

Postby FatherFil » Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:33 am

Another vote from YouTrack here.

I introduced it into my software company and we log everything in there - it's great if you're Agile based as it includes items like Kanban boards and burndown charts which have helped me and my team immensely. It also picks up on auto-reports via an email inbox and has workflow management tools which means tickets can't jump stages (testing, promotion etc)

During the day I'm a Software Development Director for a software house in Dorset and its my job to ensure the dev team have the right tools and that the software is headed in the right direction. I couldn't be happier with YouTrack.

However, we don't allow our users access to it - it's strictly internal only. For providing external access there is the cloud based approach for YouTrack - or there's always GetSatisfaction which is something I've heard good things about.
UsF
level1
level1

Postby UsF » Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:50 pm

I vote Mantis, since you already used it/set it up, so why not? Although in the end, you can probably get used to anything. Also used Mantis for other projects, as well as even Excel one time. :wink:
MrBrown
level1
level1

Postby MrBrown » Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:37 pm

I just tried to investigate once more and there seems to be no kind of built-in voting system in Mantis, which is a big drawback IMHO if it's used as a public and not a company-internal bugtracker. It helps against "+1" comments and offers the devs a nice overview what bug causes the most trouble or which feature suggestion has the most supporters.

But I stumbled across this plugin which seems very useful:
http://git.mantisforge.org/w/GaugeSupport.git

Here's a screenshot to show it's usage:
http://i.imgur.com/VhxHX.png
StrykerVenom
level0

Postby StrykerVenom » Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:20 am

Would prefer Bugzilla, but if you guys prefer Mantis, then stick w/ what you know.

Return to “Community Members”