[Suggestions] Simplify "Delivery" process

(previously 'DEVELOPER') Private forum for registered community members. To register, please visit www.prison-architect.com/register.

Moderator: NBJeff

HowPeculiars
level2
level2

[Suggestions] Simplify "Delivery" process

Postby HowPeculiars » Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:11 pm

Hey,

Whilst it's really nice to see IV put so much attention to detail, I personally think that this whole "Truck drops off EVERYTHING you order individually" thing is just going to cause major problems. It's going to be very difficult to code it in a way which doesn't have tremendous loads on CPU and cause glitching at some point. This issue is particularly evident when starting a new prison from scratch and you're ordering a crap load of stuff all at once.

Instead of having the truck open topped and each individual item clearly visible, use covered trucks and you can "pretend" a whole lot of things are fitted in one truck - treating groups or "crates" of items as batches. Not only will this simplify the code and make the game run more smoothly when a large number of building jobs are active - but it will also decrease the path finding variables of the workers which - on my end seem to be having a hard time deciding what to do when there are so many jobs.

So say you order 10 sprinklers for the kitchen. Build a few walls, buy 30 cell doors, then order 20 sprinklers for the corridors, and buy another 10 cell doors - There are three "crates" delivered. One contains 40 cell doors, one contains 30 sprinklers and one contains some wall pieces.

And make the drivers of the trucks remove all the items instead of leaving it for the workmen.
Last edited by HowPeculiars on Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Inkognito
level1
level1

Postby Inkognito » Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:18 pm

Hell NO oO
You ASK for less detail? Oh man..

If you have problems with the delivery of things - just make the delivery area bigger and everything is fine.
HowPeculiars
level2
level2

Postby HowPeculiars » Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:21 pm

Inkognito wrote:Hell NO oO
You ASK for less detail? Oh man..

If you have problems with the delivery of things - just make the delivery area bigger and everything is fine.

I'm not asking for less detail.. Read what I wrote.

It's nothing to do with the size of the delivery room. Besides, ask yourself why electronic equipment is being delivered on open topped trucks anyway.

By the time you've played an hour or so of PA, you're not going to give a damn whether you can watch the singular light bulb you just ordered get delivered, all you care about is that it is installed in a timely manner.
Last edited by HowPeculiars on Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Inkognito
level1
level1

Postby Inkognito » Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:28 pm

Your asking to simplify the system. I dont see why it should be other then now - its working, so why changing?
HowPeculiars
level2
level2

Postby HowPeculiars » Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:29 pm

Inkognito wrote:Your asking to simplify the system. I dont see why it should be other then now - its working, so why changing?

It's not working. You try watching $60k+ of orders delivered at once.
Last edited by HowPeculiars on Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Inkognito
level1
level1

Postby Inkognito » Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:31 pm

What is not? For me it is without problems so far. Yes there is one bug with it but it can be fixed:

- If you call in to many objects the delivery zone will be full and waiting trucks just lose their stuff on the road

And you aso can fix that bug for yourself as long as the bug is there: Make the delivery area a bit larger.
HowPeculiars
level2
level2

Postby HowPeculiars » Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:32 pm

It's ridiculous that 100+ trucks need to come to deliver that much material. It's CPU intensive, It fucks up the pathfinding, and it's pointless. It adds nothing to the game.
Inkognito
level1
level1

Postby Inkognito » Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:37 pm

100+ trucks? I dont know what you are doing but I never had 100+ trucks ;). if you have that much material at the same time you are maybe cheating (are you?). I dont think that you have the money at the beginning to order so many things at the same time.

The system needs some fixing but not to be simplified.

- Busses for new prisoners (or maybe soon aso leaving prisoners)
- "Material on Road" Bug fixed

.... and everything should be nearly fine. I am okay with "boxes" for lets say wires and pipes but not for everything please... it would get a bit to easy to build everything very fast.

And I dont think that it needs a lot of CPU. Game runs smooth for me while building many things if buildings are not very big (many small is great, less big is shit for performance). Aso if some more trucks come in -> no performance loss at all
HowPeculiars
level2
level2

Postby HowPeculiars » Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:39 pm

Treat object groups and batches and everything will work without issue.

Simple and efficient solution.

Why are prison staff removing stuff from the van too? Have you ever ordered a fridge off comet and been told by the driver "There's the keys, press this button to go down and this button to go up. I'm off to gregs for a pastie - you better be done by the time I get back"
Inkognito
level1
level1

Postby Inkognito » Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:48 pm

HowPeculiars wrote:(...)
Why are prison staff removing stuff from the van too? Have you ever ordered a fridge off comet and been told by the driver "There's the keys, press this button to go down and this button to go up. I'm off to gregs for a pastie - you better be done by the time I get back"

Its not the same. If it is how you say the workers would have nearly nothing to do anymore, lol
HowPeculiars
level2
level2

Postby HowPeculiars » Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:50 pm

Inkognito wrote:
HowPeculiars wrote:(...)

Its not the same. If it is how you say the workers would have nearly nothing to do anymore, lol

No, the truck deliver to the delivery.

The workers take from the delivery
Inkognito
level1
level1

Postby Inkognito » Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:00 pm

Your wrong buddy ;). Sometimes the trucks unload themself if there are no workers ready to do it. I just tried it. But this might be a bug because the things go directly to the worker using it, not into the delivery area.

And if not - it would be a so big problem for you that WORKERS aso do some work in unload the trucks if they dont have to do anything anyways? After the first two ingame days my workers have nearly nothing to do, with unloading trucks they have something to get paid for ;)

There are some features more needed and you complain about not self unloading trucks - lol :D
HowPeculiars
level2
level2

Postby HowPeculiars » Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:03 pm

Inkognito wrote:There are some features more needed and you complain about not self unloading trucks - lol :D

Whatever - I'm not complaining either. It was a suggestion and from a coding point of view, it's a given.

Why are lightbulbs getting delivered as they currently do? It makes no sense, and the object/job count on the map is through the roof.

It's just good practice for developers to make their games more process efficient, It makes EVERYTHING easier - and I'm sure IV have every intention of streamlining individual elements of the game once the game exits alpha phase.

In my opinion, you are wrong.
Molano
level1
level1

Postby Molano » Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:09 pm

HowPeculiars wrote:
Inkognito wrote:There are some features more needed and you complain about not self unloading trucks - lol :D

Whatever - I'm not complaining either. It was a suggestion and from a coding point of view, it's a given.

Why are lightbulbs getting delivered as they currently do? It makes no sense, and the object/job count on the map is through the roof.

It's just good practice for developers to make their games more process efficient, It makes EVERYTHING easier - and I'm sure IV have every intention of streamlining individual elements of the game once the game exits alpha phase.

In my opinion, you are wrong.

I am pretty sure Chris left a lot of things in need of improvement. I think the delivery process will get tweaked.
HowPeculiars
level2
level2

Postby HowPeculiars » Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:11 pm

Molano wrote:
I am pretty sure Chris left a lot of things in need of improvement. I think the delivery process will get tweaked.

Exactly.

Btw I wasn't berating IV, this is a damn good alpha game. I was just making my point to "Inkognito".

Return to “Community Members”