Prisoner Intake Never ending?

(previously 'DEVELOPER') Private forum for registered community members. To register, please visit www.prison-architect.com/register.

Moderator: NBJeff

MadJax
level1
level1

Postby MadJax » Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:45 pm

The system of sentence length will probably be added once the prisoners themselves actually get a record (Bio, crime committed etc), at the moment it's very Dwarf Fortress in the 2 end games (Destruction of the prison, and FPS death from so much going on at once).

But yeah, variable sentence lengths and a parole system could be a good counter to this (Could still have a few lifers/death row inmates for good measure)
RMJ1984
level2
level2

Postby RMJ1984 » Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:16 pm

Also you job can be to correct inmates, if you can correct them faster or better, you might be a to parole them faster, it gets reward and insentive to try an correct them in various manner, we need some more room types and stuff.

There could even be a library room, school room..
CylonOven
level0

Postby CylonOven » Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:04 pm

RMJ1984 wrote:Also you job can be to correct inmates, if you can correct them faster or better, you might be a to parole them faster, it gets reward and insentive to try an correct them in various manner, we need some more room types and stuff.

There could even be a library room, school room..

Yes. I love the idea of having a library in the prison. Also, in the intro you see a chapel in a cutscene. Having comunity room/building would add a lot.

It might also stop my prisoners from always complaining that their bored...
MadJax
level1
level1

Postby MadJax » Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:01 pm

I believe Chris or someone actually said this was a planned feature (Chapels and Education I mean), rehabilitation on the other hand I've not read/heard anything about yet, and sounds like a good idea :)
ronanc
level4
level4

Postby ronanc » Sun Sep 30, 2012 2:00 pm

There could also be a whole system about if there is say 5 types of prisoners, the worst you could pay to ship off to another prison, to make your life easier, and or in return, you could take prisoners from other prisons and that would earn you money, if you think you have the prison that can handle those.

I really like this idea. Puts the player into a manager mode with important decisions to make that will determine how the game plays out.
randommonicle
level1
level1

Postby randommonicle » Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:46 pm

Sentences are the way to go. Especially when you get a ridiculous influx. I had 60 prisoners arrive the other day.

I also think there should be a way to have guards bring in more than one prisoner at a time.
steviebuk
level2
level2

Postby steviebuk » Sun Sep 30, 2012 11:08 pm

Chris wrote:Interestingly probably not - there is rampant overcrowding in most countries prisons, and not enough space and money to cope. You just keep getting more.

We will be adding new options to the alpha soon to decide what sort of game you wish to play. the continuous influx of prisoners will probably become part of some sort of Pressure Cooker mode which is optional.

Prisoners are also released as well so hopefully, even in the pressure cooker mode, prisoners will be release due to serving their sentence. And also prisoners are moved around to different prisons.
LoSboccacc
level0

Postby LoSboccacc » Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:11 am

multiple building stories will instantly relief space pressure, removing constraints from gameplay decisions (but it is hard, DF is still trying to fix pathing issue now, years later the 3d introduction)
zuff
level0

Postby zuff » Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:32 am

randommonicle wrote:Sentences are the way to go. Especially when you get a ridiculous influx. I had 60 prisoners arrive the other day.

I also think there should be a way to have guards bring in more than one prisoner at a time.

There needs to be a delousing room or something similar. They all have to walk in file to a room where they are searched and changed out of their street clothes. Then from this room they file into the holding cell.

Hell even have them get back into the same street clothes when they are released!
iheartpie
level1
level1

Postby iheartpie » Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:34 am

Given that the purpose of a prison in a civilised society should be to reform inmates it seems unusual that they all have life sentences - I'm personally looking forward to when we can turn p[risoners around - else all we're doing is running a dodgy hotel with no checkout times.
iheartpie
level1
level1

Postby iheartpie » Mon Oct 01, 2012 3:31 pm

Incidentally, in my opinion - we don't really need control over the influx, as technically that's out of the prisons control - simply having a more sophisticated sentence system should deal with all the issues brought about by overcrowding.

Fingers crossed that sentences are high up on the list.
XmAkiNA
level2
level2

Postby XmAkiNA » Mon Oct 01, 2012 3:59 pm

iheartpie wrote:Incidentally, in my opinion - we don't really need control over the influx, as technically that's out of the prisons control - simply having a more sophisticated sentence system should deal with all the issues brought about by overcrowding.

Fingers crossed that sentences are high up on the list.

Depends what you mean by "control". Having an interface where we can order 7 prisoners is, correctly, stupid. But having a "low/medium/high crime" scenario setting would be handy. Also a sensible system for managing capacity, such as linking input to grants would be nice (you've taken £300k in grants, you are expected to handle X inmates) again with a scenario setting for how miserly your region is (X could be 30, 300 or 3000)
iheartpie
level1
level1

Postby iheartpie » Mon Oct 01, 2012 4:20 pm

Depends what you mean by "control". Having an interface where we can order 7 prisoners is, correctly, stupid. But having a "low/medium/high crime" scenario setting would be handy. Also a sensible system for managing capacity, such as linking input to grants would be nice (you've taken £300k in grants, you are expected to handle X inmates) again with a scenario setting for how miserly your region is (X could be 30, 300 or 3000)

Actually I agree with this - you make a good point. Setting the influx volume does make sense to allow for different prison locations. Perhaps this could actually be tied to your prisons performance though.

i.e. If your prisoners are being released without being properly reformed, then they'll be coming back very soon. Revolving door style prisons. If you're doing a good job of reforming (or executing the prisoners) then your influx will be reduced. Not that in real life it's quite as simple as this - but it's a nice way to tie it to gameplay rather than a god-setting. Just an idea :)

Either way you're right, it;s not quite as crazy as it first seems.
XmAkiNA
level2
level2

Postby XmAkiNA » Mon Oct 01, 2012 4:31 pm

iheartpie wrote:

Actually I agree with this - you make a good point. Setting the influx volume does make sense to allow for different prison locations. Perhaps this could actually be tied to your prisons performance though.

i.e. If your prisoners are being released without being properly reformed, then they'll be coming back very soon. Revolving door style prisons. If you're doing a good job of reforming (or executing the prisoners) then your influx will be reduced. Not that in real life it's quite as simple as this - but it's a nice way to tie it to gameplay rather than a god-setting. Just an idea :)

Either way you're right, it;s not quite as crazy as it first seems.

Just as a slight aside, "doing a good job of executing prisoners" really shouldn't be even close to a method of keeping the prison population under control, lest the game looks like Auschwitz (something IV have said in at least 1 interview they are aware of and will be keeping as far away from as they can)
iheartpie
level1
level1

Postby iheartpie » Mon Oct 01, 2012 4:44 pm

Just as a slight aside, "doing a good job of executing prisoners" really shouldn't be even close to a method of keeping the prison population under control, lest the game looks like Auschwitz (something IV have said in at least 1 interview they are aware of and will be keeping as far away from as they can)

I suppose that's fair enough - but a shame for mature players you seek tough decisions and immersion. Are we to assume that the US prison system is content with having cells full of death row prisoners who aren't being executed? That's a financial drain, right there - and I'm sure it annoys the hell out of the administrators.

Don't get me wrong - I totally respect the decision - I've seen enough comments in the forum already that make me uncomfortable about the game as it is, let alone with any further incentive to be an evil overlord :)

For what it's worth even though I think this should be a viable playstyle it doesn't really interest me - I'm looking forward to re-educating these damn prisoners rather than feeding them and washing them - it's like looking after a whole office block full of babies!

Return to “Community Members”