(Suggestion) Why a wall if a fence is better?

(previously 'DEVELOPER') Private forum for registered community members. To register, please visit www.prison-architect.com/register.

Moderator: NBJeff

Inkognito
level1
level1

(Suggestion) Why a wall if a fence is better?

Postby Inkognito » Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:53 pm

I found a big misstake: Why should I build big and expensive walls around my Prison if I just could use free fences? It does not matter in a gameplay point of view because the prisoners never destruct those small fences and rather try to destroy the good and strong solitary doors.

Give some attributes to the walls! :)
RabidZombie
level5
level5

Postby RabidZombie » Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:59 pm

Could be that prisoners will be able to cut holes in fences in the future. Would make for a pretty cool trade off between price and security.
gsuberland
level2
level2

Postby gsuberland » Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:01 pm

Can you build indoor fences? Never tried, so I don't know.

A lot of rooms can only be designated on inside areas.
Illanair
level3
level3

Postby Illanair » Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:06 pm

Fences are an outdoors only "wall"

(see below for a less nonsense response on the fence/wall bit)
Last edited by Illanair on Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gsuberland
level2
level2

Postby gsuberland » Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:11 pm

Illanair wrote:As Rabid mentions the intent is most likely that fences (while free) can take more abuse and is harder to get through (seeming as you'd have to blow or hack through it) while you could get through a fence using fairly simple tools (the greenkeeper branch cutting tool springs to mind)

And no - fences are an outdoors only "wall"

Erm, run that one past me again? Fences are free, and can take more abuse, and are harder to get through, whilst you can get through a fence easily? Did you typo?
Illanair
level3
level3

Postby Illanair » Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:15 pm

:lol:

I accidentally the entire sentence there for sure. Yes - I of course mean that proper brick/concrete walls would require a lot more OOMPH to get through, while a "simple" barbwire fence is fairly easy to get through.

Of course if you ignore those deadly hooked barbwire fences that new super secure american prison has - you'd never get close enough to cut them before you'd be stuck for life.
thisisgil
level1
level1

Postby thisisgil » Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:52 pm

It doesn't appear to be a great idea to surround your prison with fences. I tried, and I suspect it's how I broke vehicle spawning and paths....
Illanair
level3
level3

Postby Illanair » Thu Sep 27, 2012 5:14 pm

thisisgil wrote:It doesn't appear to be a great idea to surround your prison with fences. I tried, and I suspect it's how I broke vehicle spawning and paths....

Not on my end - All of my prisons are surrounded by a fence wall, an empty space and then a solid concrete wall.
Ada
level1
level1

Postby Ada » Thu Sep 27, 2012 5:15 pm

IMO they should add a cost to the fences. Perhaps a small one but it should exist just for the cause of immersion. =P
cplr
level0

Postby cplr » Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:17 pm

Yeah, agreed. I thought it was weird they are free - perhaps $1/tile would be good
Inkognito
level1
level1

Postby Inkognito » Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:29 pm

jelco wrote:Some 'rooms' like the Yard require it to be surrounded to be walls, and will not accept fences as those outdoor walls. Unless you want to build a Yard building this is a good reason to not only use fences.

Jelco

Yeah, BUT: Why should I build a big wall around my prison to prevent prisoners fleeing? I can just use the free fences. Would be great if those bad prisoners try to destroy the fences if they try to get out and not only destroy doors.

Maybe some people are understanding me from :/.
Stardog
level1
level1

Postby Stardog » Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:59 pm

Inkognito wrote:
jelco wrote:Some 'rooms' like the Yard require it to be surrounded to be walls, and will not accept fences as those outdoor walls. Unless you want to build a Yard building this is a good reason to not only use fences.

Jelco

Yeah, BUT: Why should I build a big wall around my prison to prevent prisoners fleeing? I can just use the free fences. Would be great if those bad prisoners try to destroy the fences if they try to get out and not only destroy doors.

Maybe some people are understanding me from :/.

Post #2 already explained this. Maybe in the future they will be able to climb/cut fences.
thekev506
level1
level1

Postby thekev506 » Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:42 pm

Jelco

I've made a yard just using fences without any issues.
askiba
level1
level1

Postby askiba » Fri Sep 28, 2012 5:57 am

Jelco

The reason you couldn't create outdoor yards was because that fence didn't have a door securing the yard. The requirement isn't "has walls", it's "behind one door". :)
Illanair
level3
level3

Postby Illanair » Fri Sep 28, 2012 8:16 am

askiba wrote:

Jelco

The reason you couldn't create outdoor yards was because that fence didn't have a door securing the yard. The requirement isn't "has walls", it's "behind one door". :)

To further qualify it needs walls and a door - just like an outdoor building. Fences work fine for this purpose.

Return to “Community Members”