[Bug] Foundation extension counts as separate foundation

(previously 'DEVELOPER') Private forum for registered community members. To register, please visit www.prison-architect.com/register.

Moderator: NBJeff

Meneth_
level0

[Bug] Foundation extension counts as separate foundation

Postby Meneth_ » Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:18 pm

While graphically extending a foundation with another foundation will make the two foundations one big room, they end up with separate entrance requirements.
For me this led to an extension not being built due to it not having an entrance, despite the larger room it was joined with having one.

Note: Both parts of the larger room were set up while the game was paused. I don't know if the issue persists if a room is completely constructed before an extension is added.
zangdar86
level1
level1

Postby zangdar86 » Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:00 pm

Yeah both issue here ( maybe it s not a bug at the very moment but it is not useful ). Plus when i decide to deconstruct a building zone i can t keep the wall and add a flood. The remaining floor is considered as outdoor and so i cannot put floor on it to reorganize the room.
cleslie88
level0

Postby cleslie88 » Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:43 pm

second these points my one biggest frustration with the game was not been able to extend a building or "rezone" it once it was built.
xnaught
level1
level1

Postby xnaught » Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:09 am

Having the same issue, it's that serious that I've needed to start the game again because my rooms won't build

Heres an example:

I've also had issues where there is clearly an entrance and the game does not reconise the room (I built a shower room, no one will use it I have built more doors to try and get people in)

SirFist
level0

Postby SirFist » Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:13 am

xnaught wrote:Having the same issue, it's that serious that I've needed to start the game again because my rooms won't build

Heres an example:

[snip]

The game is being quite literal, it requires an entrance in the foundation walls. You can delete it afterwards but it is very clunky.
iheartpie
level1
level1

Postby iheartpie » Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:34 am

SirFist wrote:
xnaught wrote:Having the same issue, it's that serious that I've needed to start the game again because my rooms won't build

Heres an example:

[snip]

The game is being quite literal, it requires an entrance in the foundation walls. You can delete it afterwards but it is very clunky.

But what does this mean? i.e. It requires an entrance in the foundation walls? I'm guessing we're not talking about doors here?
UsF
level1
level1

Postby UsF » Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:37 am

xnaught wrote:I've also had issues where there is clearly an entrance and the game does not reconise the room (I built a shower room, no one will use it I have built more doors to try and get people in)

Did you mark the room as a shower area? Your objective list says no. There is a room-designation for showers that you need to place on your shower-area.
iheartpie
level1
level1

Postby iheartpie » Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:38 am

UsF wrote:
xnaught wrote:I've also had issues where there is clearly an entrance and the game does not reconise the room (I built a shower room, no one will use it I have built more doors to try and get people in)

Did you mark the room as a shower area? Your objective list says no. There is a room-designation for showers that you need to place on your shower-area.

For what it's worth I built a shower 'corner' in a holding cell and the prisoners use it fine. Is this only an issue when it's a truly seperate area that they need to waypoint to?
UsF
level1
level1

Postby UsF » Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:49 am

I think if they have a private shower in their cell area, it is added to them personally, but a public shower area designation seems a must, if you want to use it that way.
Pod
level1
level1

Postby Pod » Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:32 pm

Why does a foundation require a door? What's the use in it to the game engine? To allow the workmen a way to escape once the room is made? You could always delay the final creation event until all the workmen are off of the blueprint, if that is the issue.
RabidZombie
level5
level5

Postby RabidZombie » Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:38 pm

There was another thread about foundation woes.

IMO, foundations shouldn't come with walls, getting rid of this silly requirement.
Illanair
level3
level3

Postby Illanair » Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:44 pm

Pod wrote:Why does a foundation require a door? What's the use in it to the game engine? To allow the workmen a way to escape once the room is made? You could always delay the final creation event until all the workmen are off of the blueprint, if that is the issue.

This behaviour worked quite well in Evil Genius. You dug into a mountain - first you blew open the room, then workers moved in to put up scaffolds and build the room. Once this was done and the last man moved out the room, it would change to the final state.
tradami
level1
level1

Postby tradami » Thu Sep 27, 2012 5:01 pm

So just add an entrance in the foundation and remove it afterwards?...
Meneth_
level0

Postby Meneth_ » Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:12 pm

tradami wrote:So just add an entrance in the foundation and remove it afterwards?...

The point is to report the issue so that the devs can fix; there are workaround of course, but workarounds shouldn't be needed for something like this.
RabidZombie
level5
level5

Postby RabidZombie » Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:50 pm

jelco wrote:
Pod wrote:Why does a foundation require a door? What's the use in it to the game engine? To allow the workmen a way to escape once the room is made? You could always delay the final creation event until all the workmen are off of the blueprint, if that is the issue.

It's actually rather easy for workmen to get caught inside a building. They seem to be intelligent enough to not close themselves in, but they won't care about colleagues when they go about their tasks. More often than not during the construction of a cell block I've had a multitude of workmen caught inside cells, having to wait for others to put in doors to let them out. So yes, I do think the requirement makes sense - in fact, it should be implemented better than it is right now, not removed (in my opinion).

Jelco

Which is funny, because workmen will have absolutely no issues walking though walls if they're installing pipes or cable.

Return to “Community Members”