[Suggestion] Overly Graphic Story Images

(previously 'DEVELOPER') Private forum for registered community members. To register, please visit www.prison-architect.com/register.

Moderator: NBJeff

ellbristow
level1
level1

[Suggestion] Overly Graphic Story Images

Postby ellbristow » Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:39 pm

The images (polaroids) used in the intro back-story are a bit graphic (in the adult sense, the blood is not an issue due to the context). I'm 30 and I felt uncomfortable with the images. Perhaps it's because I have a 4 year old son who I wouldn't want seeing them... but either way I do think they were unnecessarily 'adult'.

I would recommend toning the images down to avoid issues with complaining parents etc on release. (Plus, reducing the PEGI rating opens up the audience!)
catdevnull
level1
level1

Postby catdevnull » Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:48 pm

I reckon this will open up an interesting debate (hopefully not a load of trolls though ;-) )

I'm 28, no kids, and I found it unsettling but not in a particularly negative way. I know there's been discussions during development about the adult undertones in various media interviews.

I don't think this is really intended for kids, much in the same way GTA isn't. Therefore I don't think a reduction is PEGI rating is much of an aim for the devs.

I think it should be left as it is, but perhaps more prominent warnings should be given to alpha testers?
HowPeculiars
level2
level2

Postby HowPeculiars » Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:54 pm

Seriously?

Are you Amish or something?
Mathieu
level1
level1

Postby Mathieu » Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:59 pm

It's a mature game like many of them. Just keep it away from kids. But I agree the cartoonish style could be confusing at first.
SuperConductiveRabbi
level1
level1

Postby SuperConductiveRabbi » Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:37 pm

Why is construction an execution chamber to kill a convicted felon any less "adult" than a partially clad woman sitting in bed?
scelly9
level0

Postby scelly9 » Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:57 pm

Well, considering they are still considering implementing rape, I don't think they really care about their PEGI rating. Personally, I agree with SuperConductiveRabbi. An execution should be more unsettling than some scantily clad people. Besides, it's not really any worse than a skin lotion commercial you'll find within five minutes of watching television.
ellbristow
level1
level1

Postby ellbristow » Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:18 pm

OK I'm clearly not getting reply reports for this thread because I didn't see your replies!

I agree the the death chamber is an adult subject, however it is something you would naturally connect to a prison.

No I'm not Amish, but I do have a sense of morality. Actually I was not so much disturbed by the unclad woman as I was by the unclad man. I don't wanna see that in a game. Infer, suggest, whatever... but don't show me some dudes crotch!
majormauser
level0

Postby majormauser » Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:20 pm

scelly9 wrote:Well, considering they are still considering implementing rape, I don't think they really care about their PEGI rating. Personally, I agree with SuperConductiveRabbi. An execution should be more unsettling than some scantily clad people. Besides, it's not really any worse than a skin lotion commercial you'll find within five minutes of watching television.

I was shocked. But I'm liking the cartoon/realistic approach more and more. Realistic situations included.
askiba
level1
level1

Postby askiba » Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:21 pm

... Sorry, but if you're fine with seeing a naked woman then a naked man isn't much of a stretch!

This is hardly more graphic than any other movie, game, or book with mature themes. I think it was handled a bit gracefully, in spite of some cliche storytelling. I think the contrast between cartoony dudes and stark comic-book style is interesting as well.

Not to say that we should lower our standards for decency, but c'mon. This is extremely tame, not to mention it handles the topic of prison more maturely than say, Manhunt or GTA or something like that.
SuperConductiveRabbi
level1
level1

Postby SuperConductiveRabbi » Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:25 pm

I say we don't let the Amish win. I demand MORE crotches.
majormauser
level0

Postby majormauser » Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:29 pm

SuperConductiveRabbi wrote:I say we don't let the Amish win. I demand MORE crotches.

Guess the first expansion will be Female Prison Architect
SuperConductiveRabbi
level1
level1

Postby SuperConductiveRabbi » Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:32 pm

Female Prison Prison Architect? Or maybe Female Prison Female Prison Architect.
hotmachina
level1
level1

Postby hotmachina » Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:36 pm

Personally I would like to see more adult content, this is an adult game for...adults.
HowPeculiars
level2
level2

Postby HowPeculiars » Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:04 am

ellbristow wrote:No I'm not Amish, but I do have a sense of morality. Actually I was not so much disturbed by the unclad woman as I was by the unclad man. I don't wanna see that in a game. Infer, suggest, whatever... but don't show me some dudes crotch!

Wow :shock:

That sound's pretty... Insecure.
brindy
level1
level1

Postby brindy » Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:14 am

So I think we're all agreed this is an adult game. I think the intro sets the scene perfectly, offsetting the otherwise 'cartoon-like' graphics. I would like to think that most parents usually fire up a game before letting their spawn play with it and if this is one of the first things they see they'll be able to judge accurately if this game is for them and their kids or not.

(disclaimer, I don't have kids and don't condone PEGI now that it is a legal requirement)

Return to “Community Members”