Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle, Chris, andy, John

IGuardian
level1
level1

Triffid/anthill Respawn

Postby IGuardian » Wed Aug 04, 2010 2:02 pm

Simular to this persons issue:
http://forums.introversion.co.uk/darwin ... php?t=1710

Both Triffids and Anthills respawn on every map that they existed on, im using the steam version (just got it yesterday, its a brilliant game)

It's just rather annoying as I went away from my pc to get a drink, came back to see spiders being launched all where I had cleared out, all my dg were dead on the island etc, and the anthills had respawned ontop of my turrets (so dg people could not get on them and just were killed)

Is there a simple and easy way to remove triffids?

Better yet, a fix would be great.

Thanks.
~ IGuardian
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Wed Aug 04, 2010 4:18 pm

What version of Darwinia are you running? As I recall, this issue was corrected in a patch at some point...

xander
IGuardian
level1
level1

Postby IGuardian » Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:28 pm

win32-full-steam-1.510

:(
~ IGuardian
IGuardian
level1
level1

Postby IGuardian » Thu Aug 05, 2010 6:40 pm

Anyone have any ideas?
~ IGuardian
IGuardian
level1
level1

Postby IGuardian » Sat Aug 07, 2010 1:12 am

Sorry for all the posts, but I have not played since the first post because I did not want to risk making the issue worse, and I really want to play the game, can anyone help please :)
~ IGuardian
NeatNit
level5
level5

Postby NeatNit » Sat Aug 07, 2010 1:35 am

This isn't really such a great solution, but the only thing I can think of is to just finish a map after you start it and never come back to it. That way you'll never have to deal with those things again.

If you are really in a hopeless situation, there's always the reset level option so you can start over.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Sat Aug 07, 2010 5:41 am

You have two options: either follow the advice given by NeatNit, or user files. To do that, you will need to search the forums for redshirt2 (you might try using the Google search "redshirt2 site:forums.introversion.co.uk" if the built in search function does not help). Use whatever redshirt2 utility you have to decrypt the mission file of the level that is respawning triffids, and delete those lines from the file. Then unrar main.dat, find the appropriate map files, and remove those triffids, as well.

xander
IGuardian
level1
level1

Postby IGuardian » Sat Aug 07, 2010 12:55 pm

Where are those map files located?

And is this what you ment by Redshirt2? (http://clementcadbury.free.fr/redshirt2/)

(PS Thanks for your helps so far, its appreciated)
~ IGuardian
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Sat Aug 07, 2010 3:51 pm

IGuardian wrote:Where are those map files located?

They are in main.dat. main.dat is a .rar archive. You will need to unrar it in order to get at the map files.

IGuardian wrote:And is this what you ment by Redshirt2? (http://clementcadbury.free.fr/redshirt2/)

Without actually giving it a file to munch on, I don't know. I assume so. It certainly claims to be.

xander
IGuardian
level1
level1

Postby IGuardian » Sat Aug 07, 2010 11:19 pm

I opened up Main.dat\data\levels

Removed all the Triffid lines in the level files (e.g.)
mission_receiver_recapture.txt

Triffid 141 2637.95 2766.29 1 0.92 0.39 0 1.00 0.91 212.00 0.22 90.04 1 1248.89 452.94 260.55 1 1 1 0 0 1 0

However, on entering the game the file is returned to how it was before i edited it:(

& what other file would i have to edit? (where is it?) I had a looky and thats the only folder I could see that contains triffid info.

*Edit* found the userfiles to edit with the redshirt2 but the main.dat still returns to default. (ie does not work :cry: )
~ IGuardian
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Sun Aug 08, 2010 4:09 pm

xander wrote:
IGuardian wrote:Where are those map files located?

They are in main.dat. main.dat is a .rar archive. You will need to unrar it in order to get at the map files.

You need to edit the map files in main.dat, not the mission files.

xander
IGuardian
level1
level1

Postby IGuardian » Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:05 am

http://pastebin.com/K8pV7j0M

I looked but could not see where the Triffid's are in there:(
~ IGuardian
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Mon Aug 09, 2010 1:27 am

If there are no triffids in the map file, and there are no triffids in the main.dat mission file, and there are no triffids in the (un)encrypted mission file in your profile directory, then there should be no triffids in the game. If triffids are still appearing when you play, then the only thing that I can think of is that not all of the triffids have been deleted from the map and mission files.

As a note, triffids that are in the mission files in main.dat should be left there. When a level is loaded, the game seems to do the following: First, it loads the level stored in the map file in the main.dat archive. Then, it checks to see if there is a corresponding mission file in the profile directory. If so, it loads any extra units from that file. If the file does not exist, then it makes a copy of the mission file in main.dat, encrypts it, and places it in the profile directory.

So, if you have triffids that are respawning, then they are either being loaded from the map file (and you need to delete the triffids from the map in main.dat), or they are being loaded from the encrypted mission file in the profile directory (and you need to delete the triffids from that file). I don't see any other way that they can be in a level, thus if you delete any triffids from both of those places and load the level, there should be no triffids.

xander
NeatNit
level5
level5

Postby NeatNit » Mon Aug 09, 2010 2:11 am

Instead of going through all this mess, just finish a level after you start it... Is there a real reason why you can't do this?
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Mon Aug 09, 2010 4:59 am

NeatNit wrote:Instead of going through all this mess, just finish a level after you start it... Is there a real reason why you can't do this?

You suggested that above. The fact that the original poster is continuing to attempt to fix the problem indicates that your solution is not the solution that he is looking for.

xander

Return to “Windows Issues”