Darwinia Hard Copy Question

Anything and everything

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle, Chris

the7thcolumn
level1
level1

Darwinia Hard Copy Question

Postby the7thcolumn » Fri Mar 26, 2010 4:38 pm

Do all hard copys of darwinia contain key chains? I am looking for a copy and some places have it listed as 'small box edition' and some just as normal. Is there a difference of poster and key chain?

Also is there a hard copy of the multiwinia pack?
Uplinkport
level1
level1

Postby Uplinkport » Wed Jul 07, 2010 5:52 pm

I can answer both your questions. First of all, there may be a difference. I have had strange experiences while using the custom mods on the key chain box. I'm not so sure about the regular one. Second off, yes, there is a hard copy of multiwinia. However I believe the only one in stock is Multiwinia V 1.0, which may be different than the current version for various reasons. I personaly own the hard copy, and there are tons of problems whilst I am running it. But, I ran it on a Windows 2000, so there may be something there as well.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Wed Jul 07, 2010 6:13 pm

It doesn't matter if it is Multiwinia 1.0. As soon as you try to go online with it, you will be prompted to upgrade. The fact that you had problems with Multiwinia 1.0 implies that (a) you have not bothered to upgrade it or (b) Win 2000 is a piece of shit (or both). Similarly, any problems you had with the keychain box version of Darwinia are probably related to you not upgrading the game. If you buy any version of any Introversion game directly from IV (i.e. download vs boxed copy), you can upgrade whatever you get to the most recent version. The bits on your hard drive will, ultimately, be identical. The only differences are in the packaging (i.e. download only vs nifty box, manual, and any other extras).

That being said, given that this topic was last active in March, I would imagine that the original poster has already had his question answered, or is not expecting an answer now.

xander
Uplinkport
level1
level1

Postby Uplinkport » Wed Jul 07, 2010 6:59 pm

I was actually referring to if you didn't have access to the internet on your gaming CPU.
the7thcolumn
level1
level1

Postby the7thcolumn » Wed Jul 07, 2010 10:27 pm

Funny I thought this was a dead thread this is my FIRST notification of a reply actually, guess I shouldn't rely on the "Email me when someone replies" option! Never had that issiue before thanks for getting back to me, I have a keychain that sits proudly in my car!
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Thu Jul 08, 2010 1:45 am

Uplinkport wrote:I was actually referring to if you didn't have access to the internet on your gaming CPU.

First off, why would you make such an assumption? Second off, it is trivially easy to download the newest version (no matter what version you have installed) on to some other machine, then copy the files to the game machine (i.e. using a flash disk). If you don't have a networked machine at home, there are plenty of such machine at schools and libraries. Finally, in the cases of Defcon and Multiwinia (Multiwinia being one of the games originally referenced), a network connection is pretty much a must for playing.

the7thcolumn wrote:Funny I thought this was a dead thread this is my FIRST notification of a reply actually, guess I shouldn't rely on the "Email me when someone replies" option! Never had that issiue before thanks for getting back to me, I have a keychain that sits proudly in my car!

0_o

Wow. I didn't expect you to reply.

This was a dead thread. I'm sorry I missed it when it was first posted, otherwise I would have responded then. But yes, I occasionally get emails about topics that I posted (or posted in) four or five years ago. It almost always turns out to be spam. :(

xander
the7thcolumn
level1
level1

Postby the7thcolumn » Thu Jul 08, 2010 1:53 am

Unfortunate! (for the spam anyways)

And one more thing id like to point out, as A a fully licensed Computer Systems Network Technician I would like to point out the difference between a PC and a CPU.

A PC is a personal Computer.

A CPU as referenced above as what he presumed to type as PC. Is known as the core or 'brain' of the computer. Just thought id fill ya in unless your still on your Apple ][ .

And unless you are tethering your pc to your cell for internet IDK what kind of network your running that you cant get files two and from it... Even then things like FTP and Gmail Drive still would work that you can use anywhere in with intranet or internet access.
hitm4n
level3
level3

Postby hitm4n » Thu Jul 08, 2010 7:52 pm

Well we have staff in our place that refer to the "box under the desk" (or the PC to you and I), as "The HardDrive".

Threads never die, they only lack new posts :)
Steven
level2
level2

Postby Steven » Sat Jul 10, 2010 4:25 am

hitm4n wrote:Well we have staff in our place that refer to the "box under the desk" (or the PC to you and I), as "The HardDrive".

I hope they're just referencing The IT Crowd. D:
hitm4n
level3
level3

Postby hitm4n » Sun Jul 11, 2010 10:54 pm

No, people really are that stupid. The IT Crowd hits the nail on the head so many times, i love that show. Being an IT Tech myself it makes me laugh so much. I'm contemplating copying the idea of making a pre-recording for the phone. "Have you turned it off and on again?".

Return to “General”