The demo is making it hard for me to buy =) No Invert Mouse

Anything and everything

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle, Chris

yet-another-forum-userid
level0

The demo is making it hard for me to buy =) No Invert Mouse

Postby yet-another-forum-userid » Thu Jan 03, 2008 9:01 am

So here's the deal. Darwinia comes highly recommended, and I would love to give it a real try. The issue is that you have not made the mouse controls reversible, making it an amusing show for anyone watching me, but not particularly rewarding to try to play. Why are reversible mouse controls not an option? If they somehow are (but the option isn't exposed, etc), then I think I will give it another go, and if the hype is true then probably buy it. I was ready to a long time ago, but this same issue got in the way, and I was hoping that by now it had been address. Sadly, not.

Other issues:
1) That is the most g'damned unreadable CAPTCHA ever. I failed it 3 times! Read this article , and copy of the "unbreakable" ones, please. Ick!

2) I know your game is a demo. Throwing an irritating "hey, this is a demo" screen up for me JUST as I am trying to exit only irritates me and generally puts me off of the entire company and the game. Treat us poor users well, and don't ever hijack my computer with a full screen "nag" again. It shows a serious lack of respect.

Sorry to be harsh, but dammit... I'm a user, I'm TRYING TO BUY YOUR GAME (assuming my one little problem gets solved, maybe it won't). Make it easy for me! I'm going to go pick up Portals now instead. I still want to play Darwinia, just make it possible =)

3) Sexy forum theme!

Thanks
-Another Form UserId I didn't Really Want To Make :( Where is OpenID?!
KingAl
level5
level5

Postby KingAl » Thu Jan 03, 2008 9:11 am

Darwinia has RTS-style controls, hence the lack of an 'invert mouse' option - very few mainstream RTSes offer such a feature. I'm not personally aware of any way to invert the mouse controls, sorry :( Unless you mean something other than invert by 'reversible' mouse controls?
Gentlemen, you can't fight in here: this is the War Room!
Ultimate Uplink Guide
Latest Patch
xander
level5
level5

Re: The demo is making it hard for me to buy =) No Invert M

Postby xander » Thu Jan 03, 2008 4:24 pm

yet-another-forum-userid wrote:So here's the deal. Darwinia comes highly recommended, and I would love to give it a real try. The issue is that you have not made the mouse controls reversible, making it an amusing show for anyone watching me, but not particularly rewarding to try to play. Why are reversible mouse controls not an option? If they somehow are (but the option isn't exposed, etc), then I think I will give it another go, and if the hype is true then probably buy it. I was ready to a long time ago, but this same issue got in the way, and I was hoping that by now it had been address. Sadly, not.

As KingAl said, Darwinia uses standard RTS style controls. As we have said to every other person who has come here looking for an invertible mouse, it ain't gonna happen.

yet-another-forum-userid wrote:Other issues:
1) That is the most g'damned unreadable CAPTCHA ever. I failed it 3 times! Read this article , and copy of the "unbreakable" ones, please. Ick!

NeoThermic, the forum admin, has been over this several times before.

yet-another-forum-userid wrote:2) I know your game is a demo. Throwing an irritating "hey, this is a demo" screen up for me JUST as I am trying to exit only irritates me and generally puts me off of the entire company and the game. Treat us poor users well, and don't ever hijack my computer with a full screen "nag" again. It shows a serious lack of respect.

Then you have a really low threshold for irritation. That is what most demo games do. It is a demo, not a full game. If you don't want to be irritated, buy the full game.

yet-another-forum-userid wrote:Sorry to be harsh, but dammit... I'm a user, I'm TRYING TO BUY YOUR GAME...

No, you aren't. Currently, you are a demo user, complaining about the UI. If you were actually trying to buy the game, you would be posting about how much trouble you are having with the store. Right now, you are a demo user complaining about the interface. One which, I might add, you don't seem to have even given a fair chance.

xander
hitm4n
level3
level3

Re: The demo is making it hard for me to buy =) No Invert M

Postby hitm4n » Thu Jan 03, 2008 11:59 pm

yet-another-forum-userid wrote:bla bla about mouse
This aint a FPS !!
Another Form UserId I didn't Really Want To Make :( Where is OpenID?!
Its under the bed.

Anyway, don't go anywhere. I'm almost certain IV will fix up all your issues, just for you, just for that 1 extra sale. It'll likely be done by tomorrow too. Keep your eyes peeled.
darthkiwi
level1
level1

Postby darthkiwi » Sat Jan 05, 2008 12:55 pm

Hi, I'm new, love Darwinia etc etc.

I can't help thinking you're being a little harsh on the OP. Granted, it's (sort of) an RTS but it does use controls that are heavily influenced by FPS, ie. WASD moves you around on a flat plain, and you use the mouse to look just as in a shooter. I can totally sympathise with this guy.

I wouldn't hold your breath about them implementing such a feature, though. My advice is, play every shooter with a "normal" mouse configuration from now on, and you'll get used to it in no time. I had a similar problem aaages ago when a friend persuaded me to just switch to normal controls (ie. WASD and normal mouse) and it took a while for me to get used to it, but I think it was worth it in the end since I no longer have to worry about whether a game has an invert mouse option.
Cthulhu fhtagn.
hitm4n
level3
level3

Postby hitm4n » Sat Jan 05, 2008 1:29 pm

Strange thing for me with all this is....

I play all FPS games inverted. I simply cannot walk around without being inverted without continuously looking at ceilings and floors. I've tried normal, and i just can't get used to it. Yet i can play Darwinia absolutely fine with its mouse setup. Why ? I dunno, but it may be due to the mindset while playing.

If you look down now, really, with your real head ( :) ) the top of your head will move forward towards your monitor. So, pushing the mouse forward seems logical to me. This is FPS though, as if the mouse is your head. But isn't that why its called mouselook....

In Darwinia you are not controlling a persons head looking around, maybe i think of it more as controlling the relativity of the world in front of a fixed camera. Oh, i dunno, but i know the mouse control has never been something i've had to get used to even being a fervent "inverterer" ;)
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Sat Jan 05, 2008 4:26 pm

hitm4n wrote:In Darwinia you are not controlling a persons head looking around, maybe i think of it more as controlling the relativity of the world in front of a fixed camera. Oh, i dunno, but i know the mouse control has never been something i've had to get used to even being a fervent "inverterer" ;)

In this regard, don't think that you are moving the camera, or the landscape. You are moving a cursor across the landscape, and the camera follows the cursor. This is why the controls are RTS-like -- the camera follows the mouse.

xander
microchip08
level5
level5

Postby microchip08 » Sat Jan 05, 2008 9:28 pm

Turn your monitor upside down and look through a mirror!

Joking aside, Darwinia's just been dispatched.... I'm excited...
darthkiwi
level1
level1

Postby darthkiwi » Sun Jan 06, 2008 12:19 am

In this regard, don't think that you are moving the camera, or the landscape. You are moving a cursor across the landscape, and the camera follows the cursor. This is why the controls are RTS-like -- the camera follows the mouse.

Actually, purely out of interest, which is moved by the mouse? Is it the cursor, or the camera? I always assumed that the mouse tilted/turned the camera, and then a ray was cast directly in front of the camera until it hit the landscape. Then, at the point where the ray hits, that's where you position the cursor. I say that because the mouselook feels a lot like a shooter.
Cthulhu fhtagn.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Sun Jan 06, 2008 1:06 am

darthkiwi wrote:

Actually, purely out of interest, which is moved by the mouse? Is it the cursor, or the camera? I always assumed that the mouse tilted/turned the camera, and then a ray was cast directly in front of the camera until it hit the landscape. Then, at the point where the ray hits, that's where you position the cursor. I say that because the mouselook feels a lot like a shooter.

In terms of how you think about it, both are correct. In terms of making the non-inverted mouse work for you, think in terms of the cursor moving. In terms of programming, who the hell cares?

xander

Return to “General”