New Modding Features

Talk about your new mod or map here

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle

The GoldFish
level5
level5

Postby The GoldFish » Mon Dec 25, 2006 1:19 am

I uh, don't imagine this will be even be close to release quality before the next patch goes live. For a start, it has to be proven not to break anything - Introversion have other priorities, after all.

We will probably be waiting at least a month, probably a month and a half to see any of this, assuming that this can go ahead in the first place.
Montyphy
level5
level5

Postby Montyphy » Mon Dec 25, 2006 1:46 am

Icepick wrote:Merry Christmas, everyone. Have some dynamically coloured spiders playing in the snow!
http://the-icebox.com/Darwinia/spiders.jpg

Those laser shots look like lightsabers...
Uplink help: Check out the Guide or FAQ.
Latest Uplink patch is v1.55.
Shwart!!
level5
level5

Postby Shwart!! » Mon Dec 25, 2006 4:19 am

Aaaannd that's everything I needed (read: wanted desperately) for TAoW!
How would the dynamic coloring for shapes work? Would it reference team coloring, or new color settings in the file?

Shwart!!

EDIT: xander, I doubt you will ever do this... but I can only dream of the awesomeness of Insurrection with these features used.
I would pay good money for that.

EDIT 2: Nuke silo. Takes 20 DGs at ports. Destroyable at 500 HP, immune to lasers. Every 5 minutes, causes nuke 'splosion at the only incubator point on the map, using the rocket.shp as the missle. When firing, a DG appears in textboxthingie and says Nuclear Launch Detected. Then all your DGs there turn purple (Darwinia radiation color) and die. :P Possible?
Testrie
level3
level3

Postby Testrie » Mon Dec 25, 2006 8:21 am

:arrow: while
:arrow: if
:arrow: SetResearch research # - allows you to upgrade or downgrade research using scripts. setting # to 0 removes the research.
:arrow: SaveResearch name - Notes down the current research under name
:arrow: LoadResearch name - retrieves reserch that was previously noted down.
:arrow: ScreenSay string - you know how "run program: squad" appears on screen? let us do that to any text.
:arrow: cameras on globalworld. why not let our scripts fly around space?
:arrow: Bootloader name - starting bootloaders from script. (that run right away... wherever you are) the game is paused until the bootloader ends.

more to come

elyea
martin
level5
level5

Postby martin » Mon Dec 25, 2006 9:21 pm

Icepick wrote:Merry Christmas, everyone. Have some dynamically coloured spiders playing in the snow!
http://the-icebox.com/Darwinia/spiders.jpg

while on the topic of makiing stuff dynamic why not make the team colours etc changeable by script command?

and I second tesries conditional ideas.
GENERATION 22:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
The GoldFish
level5
level5

Postby The GoldFish » Mon Dec 25, 2006 9:41 pm

Testrie wrote::arrow: while

How exactly do you imagine these working? 'If' I can imagine working ok with building:online stuff, but 'while'? Darwinia's scripting doesn't really lend itself to whiles with enter wait skipping and quitting ending the script.

'If' can mostly be emulated as it is currently anyway.

Edit - also, the bootloader one is a bit of uh, a strange request. Firsttime I can imagine being a nice thing to have available though.

Another idea;

Additional shorthand versions of buildingonline, like bo, for a) easier hacking out of stuff and b) defence against typos
Testrie
level3
level3

Postby Testrie » Mon Dec 25, 2006 11:00 pm

The GoldFish wrote:
Testrie wrote::arrow: while

How exactly do you imagine these working? 'If' I can imagine working ok with building:online stuff, but 'while'? Darwinia's scripting doesn't really lend itself to whiles with enter wait skipping and quitting ending the script.

'If' can mostly be emulated as it is currently anyway.

Edit - also, the bootloader one is a bit of uh, a strange request. Firsttime I can imagine being a nice thing to have available though.

Another idea;

Additional shorthand versions of buildingonline, like bo, for a) easier hacking out of stuff and b) defence against typos

I actually mentioned the bootloader for firsttime... but why have a firsttime command when you could have a bootloader one?

elyea
The GoldFish
level5
level5

Postby The GoldFish » Mon Dec 25, 2006 11:22 pm

Because it might be very many times easier to have a first time command than any other bootloader.

Remember someone has to code this...
-- The GoldFish - member of former GIT and commander in chief of GALLAHAD. You could have done something, but it's been fixed. The end. Also, play bestgameever!
Testrie
level3
level3

Postby Testrie » Mon Dec 25, 2006 11:40 pm

The GoldFish wrote:Because it might be very many times easier to have a first time command than any other bootloader.

Remember someone has to code this...

fine. the only bootloaders ill have any pratical use for are firsttime and credits

elyea
Foobie
level1
level1

Postby Foobie » Tue Dec 26, 2006 3:33 am

I'm still pretty new at modding in general, but I'd like to second some of the ideas I've read so far:

martin wrote:change the editor so that you cannot link unlinkable buildings

And to indicate when a link won't actually do anything, even if the link is possible. For example, linking an AISpawnPoint to a BluePrintConsole will trigger the spawn when the relay is manned; linking it to a SolarPanel will not.

Testrie wrote:I always wanted to bring buildings online / offline (active / not-active) through scripts
SetResearch research # - allows you to upgrade or downgrade research using scripts. setting # to 0 removes the research.

Also, to allow activating a building to run a script.

The Goldfish wrote:Ability to create a damaging explosion at some coordinate via script as many times as you like

Or to destroy specific buildings via a script

My own suggestions:
  • Set population caps on AISpawnPoints, or limit them to a number of executions (eg, to spawn a single unit)
  • Create consistency for what makes a building "online". As I mentioned above, manning a BluePrintConsole with Darwinians will make it online (at least as far as an AISpawnPoint is concerned). Manning a SolarPanel with Darwinians does not count as online (although it does make connected power lines pulse). This may actually be a behaviour of the AISpawnPoint, not the other buildings ...
  • Add a new building that creates a ring of Darwinian "slots". You could place this on top of any other building, link it, and set how many Darwinians it takes to man and activate any building (for example, to allow Darwinians to capture ControlTowers or TrunkPorts, or to man StaticShapes).
Testrie
level3
level3

Postby Testrie » Tue Dec 26, 2006 3:40 am

Foobie wrote:
  • Add a new building that creates a ring of Darwinian "slots". You could place this on top of any other building, link it, and set how many Darwinians it takes to man and activate any building (for example, to allow Darwinians to capture ControlTowers or TrunkPorts, or to man StaticShapes).

isnt that part of DynamicBuilding?

elyea
Foobie
level1
level1

Postby Foobie » Tue Dec 26, 2006 4:09 am

Testrie wrote:
Foobie wrote:

elyea

Perhaps, but my interpretation was that it would only apply to objects created as a DynamicBuilding. That would still be pretty useful, but you still couldn't put the Darwinian ports around an existing building, such as a ControlTower, Tree or Library.

It occurs to me that the radius of the ports would have to be adjustable too, so that it could be scaled to match the building the ports were linked to.

Edit: Changed my terminology 'slots' to 'ports', because I was using the wrong word...
Testrie
level3
level3

Postby Testrie » Tue Dec 26, 2006 4:13 am

Foobie wrote:
Testrie wrote:
Foobie wrote:

elyea

Perhaps, but my interpretation was that it would only apply to objects created as a DynamicBuilding. That would still be pretty useful, but you still couldn't put the Darwinian ports around an existing building, such as a ControlTower, Tree or Library.

It occurs to me that the radius of the ports would have to be adjustable too, so that it could be scaled to match the building the ports were linked to.

Edit: Changed my terminology 'slots' to 'ports', because I was using the wrong word...

well cant you have a seperate shp file thats a ring and place it at the same place as a controltower?
and why would you want to do this?

elyea
Foobie
level1
level1

Postby Foobie » Tue Dec 26, 2006 4:20 am

Testrie wrote:
Foobie wrote:
Testrie wrote:
Foobie wrote:

elyea

well cant you have a separate shp file thats a ring and place it at the same place as a controltower?
and why would you want to do this?

elyea

The short answer is that I don't have the tools to create a new shape. Perhaps if the DynamicBuilding could have no shape but a variable size, and linked to another building so that activating the DynamicBuilding would then activate the linked building, it could be faked out.

As to why, I want to allow Darwinians to bring TrunkPorts online (either directly, or by manning the ControlTower linked to the TrunkPort). I imagine that allowing Darwinians to man/capture structures other than the ones already in-game would open up the possibilities in setting mission objectives too.
Icepick
level5
level5

Postby Icepick » Tue Dec 26, 2006 1:26 pm

As has been said, you will be able to do this with a DynamicBuilding. You can simply take a copy of the Control Tower shape, add some port markers and it will come online when enough Darwinians are operating it.

Return to “Mod Projects”