level2

Postby ShepFan » Mon Jul 31, 2006 2:50 am

I think the actual odds are 4 in 1461.

-S
NeoThermic
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff

Postby NeoThermic » Mon Jul 31, 2006 3:13 am

My notation of 1 in 365 was down to the simple fact that it would still be amazing if you registerd on the same day x years later. Ergo, the chances of doing that in any given year is 1 in 365 (.25 if we wish to compensate for leap years).

NeoThermic
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Mon Jul 31, 2006 3:39 am

ShepFan wrote:I think the actual odds are 4 in 1461.

-S

4/1461 ≈ 1/365

Thus, you said exactly what NeoThermic said. NeoThermic is, of course, correct, assuming that the dates of registration are statistically independent, and that the distribution is uniform.

xander
Kromak
level1
level1

Postby Kromak » Mon Jul 31, 2006 3:57 am

trickfred wrote:Kromak twins: Did either of you happen to stumble across Promy?

Yes... on a... 'secret' island...
I assumed that was gonna be enough, but apparently not...
There are 10 types of people: Those who understand binary and those who don't.

© 2002 Kromak
Kromak
level1
level1

Postby Kromak » Mon Jul 31, 2006 4:10 am

NeoThermic wrote:My notation of 1 in 365 was down to the simple fact that it would still be amazing if you registerd on the same day x years later.

Unless I was refering to the odds of doing it exactly 4 years later... which if we take from 22 Jul, 2002 till the end of time, it would be 1/Inf, which is very close to zero (assuming time is eternal)... of course, after the 22 Jul, 2006 the odds would be zero...

That is of course taking into account simple probability issues, which is probably (sic) not applicable here...

Anyways... I don't really like statistic (as a subject) that much...

Edit: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Probability_distribution
trickfred
level5
level5

Postby trickfred » Mon Jul 31, 2006 4:13 am

(You know, you CAN edit your posts...)

*Spoiler-ish (Maybe?)*

In order to get the super secret ending, first you have to leave exactly 13 Virii left alive in MaintenancePorts (after the cutscene, of course), you have to sacrifice the Engineer in Port Parallel to the Skirrge, and when you find Promy, you have to bring him... a shrubbery.
Kromak
level1
level1

Postby Kromak » Mon Jul 31, 2006 4:47 am

trickfred wrote:(You know, you CAN edit your posts...)

You mean for the double post? I was answering two different posts, so I did it on purpose, was that not ok?

trickfred wrote:In order to get the super secret ending, first you have to leave exactly 13 Virii left alive in MaintenancePorts (after the cutscene, of course), you have to sacrifice the Engineer in Port Parallel to the Skirrge, and when you find Promy, you have to bring him... a shrubbery.

Well... that was kinda impossible to guess... is there any hints whatsoever that would have led me to that solution?
I'm not an english native speaker, what's shrubbery? (I found this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shrubbery, a fruit?)

© 2002 Kromak
trickfred
level5
level5

Postby trickfred » Mon Jul 31, 2006 4:54 am

Heh. Most people just address several posts in one post, it makes threads look less cluttered. Not bad, really, just not usual.

Oh, and my description of how to get the 'extended' ending was kind of a joke - implying that I really wasn't going to tell you the real way to find it. Especially not on a public message board. Sorry if it was lost on you. Guess you're not a Monty Python fan. :D

(Trust me, once you figure out how to get it, it'll seem pretty obvious - and if I ask any more questions about your style of play in the mod, then I'll really give away the answer.)
Kromak
level1
level1

Postby Kromak » Mon Jul 31, 2006 6:50 pm

trickfred wrote:Oh, and my description of how to get the 'extended' ending was kind of a joke - implying that I really wasn't going to tell you the real way to find it. Especially not on a public message board. Sorry if it was lost on you. Guess you're not a Monty Python fan. :D

Je, I didn't get it... sorry... I do that kind of jokes myself and I love them... I love sarcasm

trickfred wrote:(Trust me, once you figure out how to get it, it'll seem pretty obvious

Ok, I'll try a third time... but I don't know what to do different

trickfred wrote:and if I ask any more questions about your style of play in the mod, then I'll really give away the answer.)

And... I didn't get this one either... what do you mean? (I'm getting slower it seems...)

© 2002 Kromak
trickfred
level5
level5

Postby trickfred » Mon Jul 31, 2006 6:54 pm

If I ask you, 'Did you turn left or right at the post office", then you know to go scrutinize the post office to know where you're going.

So I don't want to ask any more questions of that nature with regards to the mod, or I'll give away the secret. I... can't say anything else.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Mon Jul 31, 2006 6:57 pm

Pshaw... You could just cheat :) Not that I would ever advocate such a solution...

xander
trickfred
level5
level5

Postby trickfred » Mon Jul 31, 2006 6:59 pm

xander wrote:Pshaw... You could just cheat :) Not that I would ever advocate such a solution...

xander

Bite your tongue, philistine. :Þ
Kromak
level1
level1

Postby Kromak » Mon Jul 31, 2006 7:23 pm

trickfred wrote:If I ask you, 'Did you turn left or right at the post office", then you know to go scrutinize the post office to know where you're going.

So I don't want to ask any more questions of that nature with regards to the mod, or I'll give away the secret. I... can't say anything else.

Ok, I'll look for the post office then... :P (J/K)

© 2002 Kromak
trickfred
level5
level5

Postby trickfred » Thu Aug 10, 2006 10:32 pm

...Has anyone found the secret page on my website with the hints for EW Part 3 yet?

...If they have, they'd better read it again fast - because there's a bit of a 'contest' with regards to it now. :D

...If not - you'd better start looking. The first one to follow the instructions found on it will get... a shrubbery!

(Just kidding - but I will snail-mail them a small prize. :D )

*(Note - all EW3 Beta Testers listed in the EW3 Readme are disqualified! Sorry!)

Edit - *(One more thing - Please don't post the URL on here! I want it to be a reward for those who find it, even if they're not the first and get the prize. Thanks for your support!)
Montyphy
level5
level5

Postby Montyphy » Thu Aug 10, 2006 10:50 pm

err...

<.<

>.>

yeah...

I...er.. found it...

<.<

>.>
Uplink help: Check out the Guide or FAQ.
Latest Uplink patch is v1.55.

Return to “Mod Projects”