The Big Mod (campaign 2) - parts 1,2 & 3 available

Talk about your new mod or map here

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle

Lowell
level3
level3

Postby Lowell » Mon Jun 05, 2006 1:42 pm

I have to do some work at my Mother-In-Law's home today. So it's fun, fun, fun today. :roll: When I get back this afternoon, I will look at the map and get it reset.

EDIT// The DG's are cool on the Sig ... didn't notice them at first.
Azati Prime
level1
level1

Postby Azati Prime » Tue Jun 06, 2006 1:00 am

Yeah, I have a working profile.
I should also specify that the crash happens a few seconds after the intro.
Lowell
level3
level3

Postby Lowell » Tue Jun 06, 2006 2:37 am

Okay ... took me a couple hours, :roll: then I tried making the Spam Non-Global and just leaving it Dynamic.

It stopped crashing and runs fine.
Do you know how to open the editor and click on "Buildings" then find the Spam click on him and change the Global setting back to Zero... Leave the Dynamic set to One. If not let me know and I'll make a special zip with the map file change you can copy paste.

Give that a try and see if the intro will play all the way through and dump you off at the Player start. Please come back and let me know if that was.

Lowell

EDIT// I also noticed there is a green AI SpawnPoint that wasn't linked to any buildings. I'm not sure if it will turn on if it isn't linked. I linked it to Trunk Gate 10, it is the one with the control tower that will need turned up by the players engineers. I am not sure if that is where Martin wants it linked...I just did that so it would work in-game.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Tue Jun 06, 2006 4:55 am

Lowell wrote:color=yellow]EDIT//[/color] I also noticed there is a green AI SpawnPoint that wasn't linked to any buildings. I'm not sure if it will turn on if it isn't linked. I linked it to Trunk Gate 10, it is the one with the control tower that will need turned up by the players engineers. I am not sure if that is where Martin wants it linked...I just did that so it would work in-game.

If it is not linked, it should be on by default. It will remain on until the level objectives are completed.

xander
Lowell
level3
level3

Postby Lowell » Tue Jun 06, 2006 5:06 am

Interesting, the tutorial says that they go online and start spawning when the building they are linked to comes online. I haven’t tried it any other way.

I went back and there are a few other things I had changed. I may want to let Martin have the file first.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Tue Jun 06, 2006 5:46 am

Lowell wrote:Interesting, the tutorial says that they go online and start spawning when the building they are linked to comes online. I haven’t tried it any other way.

That only applies if the AISpawnPoint is linked to something else. If it is not, it will behave as I outlined above.

xander
Azati Prime
level1
level1

Postby Azati Prime » Tue Jun 06, 2006 6:32 am

I have no idea. I'll send my email address to you in a PM.
martin
level5
level5

Postby martin » Tue Jun 06, 2006 4:49 pm

wow! thanks for all this lowell, got my X1900XT in the post today but it's still a couple of weeks before I get a motherboard that can support it :P

If this file works to your satisfaction (ie the last level and the outro run) then package it up and send it to hitm4n with your name in the readme/credits.
GENERATION 22:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Lowell
level3
level3

Postby Lowell » Fri Jun 09, 2006 3:45 pm

One thing you can try till we re-link everything to see if the AI Unit will kick-in, is set the AI Unit to team yellow-2. That will shut off the AI Unit. However the R-DG's will not behave and move as intended.

I should be done later today...fingers crossed.

EDIT//Oh...and as Xander has noted, leave the AI SpawnPoint "un-linked"
trickfred
level5
level5

Postby trickfred » Fri Jun 09, 2006 7:46 pm

Just in case you needed confirmation, AISpawnPoints do work without being linked to anything - as they're all over EW 1 and 2 (not pimping, just providing examples) and not a single one's linked to anything. I found that they only "turn on" when attached to a red trunk that is reprogrammed, and don't lay dormant when attached to any other red building - they'd just all start spitting things out on level start, as if they were attached to nothing. Of course, that was over a year ago, and I haven't tried again since - has anyone been successful in getting one to start spitting out enemies attached to anything else? I'd be interested in knowing since I'm too lazy to bother trying it again myself.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Fri Jun 09, 2006 8:13 pm

trickfred wrote:Just in case you needed confirmation, AISpawnPoints do work without being linked to anything - as they're all over EW 1 and 2 (not pimping, just providing examples) and not a single one's linked to anything. I found that they only "turn on" when attached to a red trunk that is reprogrammed, and don't lay dormant when attached to any other red building - they'd just all start spitting things out on level start, as if they were attached to nothing. Of course, that was over a year ago, and I haven't tried again since - has anyone been successful in getting one to start spitting out enemies attached to anything else? I'd be interested in knowing since I'm too lazy to bother trying it again myself.

Yup. That was, originally, the way that I made Communications work in Insurrection. Remember how buildings have two state variables, with two states each? A building can be either online or offline, and either active or inactive. Buildings that require DGs to operate are inactive until they are activated by DGs. Thus, you can link (or is it toggled by... can't remember, right off) an AISpawnPoint to any building that is inactive by default. Then, when DGs take it over (either red or green) the AISpawnPoint will start pumping out units.

Buildings that work (AFAIK):
BluePrintConsoles (see Pattern_Buffer)
Mines
Refineries
Yards
SolarPanels
SpawnPoints
&c.

xander
trickfred
level5
level5

Postby trickfred » Fri Jun 09, 2006 8:49 pm

xander wrote:
trickfred wrote:Just in case you needed confirmation, AISpawnPoints do work without being linked to anything - as they're all over EW 1 and 2 (not pimping, just providing examples) and not a single one's linked to anything. I found that they only "turn on" when attached to a red trunk that is reprogrammed, and don't lay dormant when attached to any other red building - they'd just all start spitting things out on level start, as if they were attached to nothing. Of course, that was over a year ago, and I haven't tried again since - has anyone been successful in getting one to start spitting out enemies attached to anything else? I'd be interested in knowing since I'm too lazy to bother trying it again myself.

Yup. That was, originally, the way that I made Communications work in Insurrection. Remember how buildings have two state variables, with two states each? A building can be either online or offline, and either active or inactive. Buildings that require DGs to operate are inactive until they are activated by DGs. Thus, you can link (or is it toggled by... can't remember, right off) an AISpawnPoint to any building that is inactive by default. Then, when DGs take it over (either red or green) the AISpawnPoint will start pumping out units.

Buildings that work (AFAIK):
BluePrintConsoles (see Pattern_Buffer)
Mines
Refineries
Yards
SolarPanels
SpawnPoints
&c.

xander

Heh. Whoops. I suppose that's a misconception I developed when I first started messing with the level editor last year (probably tried it when I still didn't know what I was doing, and just didn't want to ask), and just never questioned later. Still, it would be nice if they worked with non-DG run buildings - it's probably linking them to one/several of those that had me assuming they were broken in mods, like the PylonStart - I can't remember that far back. Thanks for clearing that up. :D
skull13
level3
level3

Postby skull13 » Sat Jun 17, 2006 10:17 pm

Took me 45 minutes with ULTRA cheating. I think i screwed up all of the plug thing because with the unit placement now, i can win a mission in about 15 seconds. I cheated majorly. I just did it for the story!
Lowell
level3
level3

Postby Lowell » Sun Jun 18, 2006 1:50 am

skull13 wrote:Took me 45 minutes with ULTRA cheating. I think i screwed up all of the plug thing because with the unit placement now, i can win a mission in about 15 seconds. I cheated majorly. I just did it for the story!

I don't quite get what you are talking about...what placement?
skull13
level3
level3

Postby skull13 » Sun Jun 18, 2006 2:46 am

In the first level, I placed 1000 darwinians at the objective island right at the start of the game. Basically, I either a. got rid of most, if not all enemies, or b. placed an overwhelming amount of darwinians next to the objectives.
EDIT: or both.

Return to “Mod Projects”