Killing the Officers?

Anything and everything

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle, Chris

Holm
level0

Killing the Officers?

Postby Holm » Sat May 06, 2006 6:38 pm

Ok so I try searching this forum but nothing comes up. I remember a long time ago I came across a post in which it was mentiones but I cant find it.

So please dont be rude making all sorts of 'use the search 'cause its been asked a gazilion times' comments but how do I kill or remove my officers?

I have my reasons for killing them believe me.
trickfred
level5
level5

Postby trickfred » Sat May 06, 2006 6:41 pm

1) Select Officer

2) Hit Ctrl-C on your keyboard. (Just C if you're using the goofy icon system)
Holm
level0

Postby Holm » Sat May 06, 2006 6:46 pm

Yeah funny enough I just tried to enter the game again and out of couriosity I try CTRL-C and POP there goes the neighborhood

So I go back here to quickly reply that I found the ansawer just the see that some ninja fast helping guy already helped me out.

Thanks for been that quick. Thanks.
trickfred
level5
level5

Postby trickfred » Sat May 06, 2006 7:01 pm

*pulls down black cowl*

*silently scampers off into the moonlight*
xbskid
level1
level1

Postby xbskid » Tue May 09, 2006 11:41 am

trickfred wrote:goofy icon system

Goofy!? Oh well. I prefer to use F1-F7 to launch my programs thankyouverymuch :) I -never- use the task manager for launching programs, unless it's some goofy mod.
trickfred
level5
level5

Postby trickfred » Tue May 09, 2006 12:53 pm

xbskid wrote:Goofy!? Oh well. I prefer to use F1-F7 to launch my programs thankyouverymuch :)

Right, because any monkey can be trained to press a button.

Do you really want to derail the thread and turn it into a gesture vs. icon debate? If so, my only point on the subject, and the last I'll say on it, is that IV developed the icon system for people that thought the gestures were too hard to do...

...But my 5 year old can do them. :D
xyzyxx
level5
level5

Postby xyzyxx » Tue May 09, 2006 1:15 pm

Holm wrote:ninja fast helping guy
What an awesome title for someone to have. :mrgreen:
Some people talk because they have something to say. Others talk because they have to say something.
Mef
level2
level2

Postby Mef » Tue May 09, 2006 5:16 pm

trickfred wrote:Right, because any monkey can be trained to press a button.

Do you really want to derail the thread and turn it into a gesture vs. icon debate? If so, my only point on the subject, and the last I'll say on it, is that IV developed the icon system for people that thought the gestures were too hard to do...

Yeah, sure and can You create and send to battle 6 squads in 3 secs using gesture system? Orthodox hardcorness is one thing, quickness is another, so cut the "You're too lazy to needlessly use more complicated system" crap :roll:

When I played first Darwinia Demo, I found Gestures very cool and all, but when Icons were made available, I swiched to them as to far more efficent. Simple choice... So why offending Icon users ?

Do You play FPS games with keyboard only?
READY:
MEF

?SYNTAX ERROR
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Tue May 09, 2006 5:50 pm

Mef wrote:Do You play FPS games with keyboard only?

Yes. Though the last FPS that I played was Marathon Infinity on a Quadra, and the mouse was buggy at best. Still, I tended to own most people, including those who used mice -- it is just a matter of what you are used to.

xander
Mef
level2
level2

Postby Mef » Tue May 09, 2006 6:55 pm

Meh, maybe You're right, I just reminded myself of playing Wild Metal Country (I believe it was called so) with keyboard (no mouse support in this game) - man I sucked in it. I Pwned a lot in Liero though...

Still Icons system is lot faster no matter the skills.
READY:

MEF

?SYNTAX ERROR
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Tue May 09, 2006 7:19 pm

Mef wrote:Still Icons system is lot faster no matter the skills.

That, I believe, is the point that trickfred was making. The icon system is faster and requires less skill. He, like a lot of us that have been around since the very early days of the game, doesn't really like the icon system, and sees it as a dumbing down of the game that IV was forced to make in order to sell more copies. For instance, while I understand the intention of the ico system, and appreciate that it is a necessary evil, I refuse to use it, as it requires less skill, and removes challenge from the game. It is a lot harder to create four squads with airstrike enabled in the gesture system, which means that you can't just make them on a whim to take out a spam cube -- you have to plan your actions in advance.

xander
Mef
level2
level2

Postby Mef » Tue May 09, 2006 8:45 pm

xander wrote:That, I believe, is the point that trickfred was making. The icon system is faster and requires less skill. He, like a lot of us that have been around since the very early days of the game, doesn't really like the icon system, and sees it as a dumbing down of the game that IV was forced to make in order to sell more copies. For instance, while I understand the intention of the ico system, and appreciate that it is a necessary evil, I refuse to use it, as it requires less skill

Well, I pretty much understood Yours and His point from the beginning, It just fucked me up to call people dumb for using Icons.

It is a lot harder to create four squads with airstrike enabled in the gesture system, which means that you can't just make them on a whim to take out a spam cube -- you have to plan your actions in advance.

Now that is a bit exagorated for me - Darwinia isn't sophisticated turn-based strategy and all situations are solved quite easily. The game incorporates some strategies, but those are fairly quickly learned and mastered. Using Icon system doesn't mean that I'll be abusing suicidal squads as a primary solution anyway...
READY:

MEF

?SYNTAX ERROR
trickfred
level5
level5

Postby trickfred » Tue May 09, 2006 9:00 pm

I re-read my post, and not once did I use the word 'dumb'. And if I had to choose a word that summed up what I thought of the people that prefer the icon system, it would be 'lazy', and not 'dumb'. But hey, that's just my opinion - and no need to post again to berate me for it, you won't change it.

(Yeah, I said I would comment no further, but defending myself against a false accusation is different)
daset
level3
level3

Postby daset » Tue May 09, 2006 11:15 pm

trickfred wrote:Do you really want to derail the thread and turn it into a gesture vs. icon debate?

Too late!

And Yay Marathon Infinity!

Return to “General”