Postby hitm4n » Mon May 08, 2006 12:26 am

poor, poo, same in my book.
right, i'm dying for a poor now...
The GoldFish
level5
level5

Postby The GoldFish » Mon May 08, 2006 1:45 am

Know what bugs me?

Why are no mods funny? They're always being serious and all that crap! I want the funnies! OK there's the occasional quip, but it just doesn't feel the same.

Seriously, nothing has ever come close to Stricken on my books, with quotes like;

"Thanks to all those forumites who broke this mod, and as promised, you don't get any credits!"

"Revelation's plan was obviously too long, complicated, and thought of in the middle of the night whilst very tired. Too bad for him!"

"So... it's Gladiator 2... there's a sequel that makes no sense!"

"It's probably not a lot of use now that I've run through that valley of Harlequins and been chased by spiders, but I'm sure it'll come in handy at some point..."

"Right... yes... great...
Valley of doom, with an enclave...
And another enclave...
And a huge ass mountain...
And some like... doom."

"That's it, you've finished the mod now. You can quit."

COMEDY GOLD, I TELL YOU! I mean, even Droughtwinia had some moments... Madrid still cracks me up every time. And the Balaal mission explanation;

"Kill uber virus hoard, destroy doom cube, done!"

oh, and;

"Anyway, instead of fighting, for example, a squad unit in single combat like someone who wanted a challenge
I dare you to defeat me with...
A SINGLE ENGINEER!"

I certainly haven't played every mod out there, but I've had some contact with most... and everyone just wants the darwinians and the fighting and the spawn points. Makes me sad :(

In many ways, I doubt everyone, or possibly anyone, enjoys Stricken as much as I do. Many of the other mods which have surfaced have been in the same vein as the original Darwinia, though a few have had some special stuff, and good plots, in them, and that's great, they're probably going to be more enjoyable, I guess, for a lot more people... comma. My problem is that I didn't really enjoy the original Darwinia that much.

But anyway, that's why I think Stricken is the best mod out there, not because it's better written, or better scripted, or better textured, but simply because it panders better to my taste, in terms of appearence, script (ie, speachy stuffs), and gameplay. Which is as good a reason as any other - there really can't be a 'best mod', IMO.
daset
level3
level3

Postby daset » Mon May 08, 2006 2:05 am

Heh, I actually had a mod going in that direction before I trashed it. It was entitled "Eugene the Evil Envious Engineer vs. the Tripods", based around leading an "evil" engineer around that tried killing every green DG around via luring SDs in :twisted: But it kinda sucked, and my comedic abilities are very, very weak, so I went in the direction of story instead.
Major Cooke
level4
level4

Postby Major Cooke » Mon May 08, 2006 5:25 pm

The GoldFish wrote:Know what bugs me?

Why are no mods funny? They're always being serious and all that crap! I want the funnies! OK there's the occasional quip, but it just doesn't feel the same.

Seriously, nothing has ever come close to Stricken on my books, with quotes like;

"Thanks to all those forumites who broke this mod, and as promised, you don't get any credits!"

"Revelation's plan was obviously too long, complicated, and thought of in the middle of the night whilst very tired. Too bad for him!"

"So... it's Gladiator 2... there's a sequel that makes no sense!"

"It's probably not a lot of use now that I've run through that valley of Harlequins and been chased by spiders, but I'm sure it'll come in handy at some point..."

"Right... yes... great...
Valley of doom, with an enclave...
And another enclave...
And a huge ass mountain...
And some like... doom."

"That's it, you've finished the mod now. You can quit."

COMEDY GOLD, I TELL YOU! I mean, even Droughtwinia had some moments... Madrid still cracks me up every time. And the Balaal mission explanation;

"Kill uber virus hoard, destroy doom cube, done!"

oh, and;

"Anyway, instead of fighting, for example, a squad unit in single combat like someone who wanted a challenge
I dare you to defeat me with...
A SINGLE ENGINEER!"

I certainly haven't played every mod out there, but I've had some contact with most... and everyone just wants the darwinians and the fighting and the spawn points. Makes me sad :(

In many ways, I doubt everyone, or possibly anyone, enjoys Stricken as much as I do. Many of the other mods which have surfaced have been in the same vein as the original Darwinia, though a few have had some special stuff, and good plots, in them, and that's great, they're probably going to be more enjoyable, I guess, for a lot more people... comma. My problem is that I didn't really enjoy the original Darwinia that much.

But anyway, that's why I think Stricken is the best mod out there, not because it's better written, or better scripted, or better textured, but simply because it panders better to my taste, in terms of appearence, script (ie, speachy stuffs), and gameplay. Which is as good a reason as any other - there really can't be a 'best mod', IMO.

I VOTE FOR THEE!!!
*snap* SHIT! just lost/broke my ex-something... cant remember what its called.

Anyway, what the hell... im rambling again, feeling drowsy, and my vote goes towards StrickenSouls.
martin
level5
level5

Postby martin » Mon May 08, 2006 6:06 pm

hitm4n wrote:

Code: Select all

Civil War (orig)       -  10  - Hmmm, no readme, script or proper objectives?        - 04/10
War                    -  07  - Impossible levels (at least for me) meaning no fun   - 02/10

The others i've played score 5 or more. And the rest i haven't played at all yet.

Well that's hardly fair! The original CW was an alpha that I released to the community - shouldn't still be hosted by anyone, and war is possible! I can complete every level, just because you aren't skilled enough!
GENERATION 22:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Darksun
level5
level5

Postby Darksun » Mon May 08, 2006 6:11 pm

The Goldfish defines tooting his own horn!
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Mon May 08, 2006 8:15 pm

Darksun wrote:The Goldfish defines tooting his own horn!

No, I think that honor belongs to martin.

xander
hitm4n
level3
level3

Postby hitm4n » Mon May 08, 2006 10:11 pm

martin wrote:
hitm4n wrote:

Civil War (orig)       -  10  - Hmmm, no readme, script or proper objectives?        - 04/10
War                    -  07  - Impossible levels (at least for me) meaning no fun   - 02/10

The others i've played score 5 or more. And the rest i haven't played at all yet.

Well that's hardly fair! The original CW was an alpha that I released to the community - shouldn't still be hosted by anyone, and war is possible! I can complete every level, just because you aren't skilled enough!
You know as well as i, that all your early mods were unscripted and a bit of a disjointed mess. If it was out of Alpha, tidied up and sripted i may have scored it much higher. But it isn't, so i didn't. With the script help you've gotten lately and the level tweaking you've done i'm sure they are lovely now (i haven't played any yet). The comment is a very brief summation and its only MY opinion. Civil War was ok to play, but in the scale of 1-10 i couldn't score it as high as many others and 4 is where it fitted in. War i just didn't like. I found the levels overwhelming in the extreme, so no fun, so low score. Maybe other people would score War much higher. Thats up to them.
The GoldFish
level5
level5

Postby The GoldFish » Tue May 09, 2006 3:11 am

"It'll be a quick transformation though, blink and you'll miss it!
(screen fades to black to change missions)
wtf you blinked!"

How did I forget that one... how! xD
I was looking right at it...

And regarding tooting my own horn... maybe, maybe not, but either way, my horn rocks!

daset, I know how you feel - I have a mod concept and basic outline that'll probably never exist - Retrowinia. It's kind of annoying to have this idea floating around and not be able to make anything out of it. Maybe one day you'll be able to use your evil engineer scheme... though I have an altogether far more insidious purpose for them...
daset
level3
level3

Postby daset » Tue May 09, 2006 3:37 am

Yes, I had much of the mod all laid out, but the redundant gameplay had to be made up for with humour, but every time I have ever tried to tell a joke, I get a few weak chuckles and many stares.
hitm4n
level3
level3

Postby hitm4n » Tue May 09, 2006 8:20 am

/me chuckles then stares at daset...

:)
martin
level5
level5

Postby martin » Tue May 09, 2006 4:04 pm

hitm4n wrote:
martin wrote:
hitm4n wrote:

snip

snip

snip
But it isn't, so i didn't.

but it is! The original Civil war should nop longer be available for download anymore!
GENERATION 22:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
daset
level3
level3

Postby daset » Tue May 09, 2006 11:26 pm

<snip>

Return to “Mod Projects”