help with Editor

Talk about your new mod or map here

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle

xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Sat Apr 22, 2006 7:12 pm

I would suggest that your friend's monitor has lost its green pixels...

Blue is the color of team 3, but team 3 doesn't do anything, and I think that team 3 DGs are invisible.

xander
trickfred
level5
level5

Postby trickfred » Sat Apr 22, 2006 7:29 pm

xander wrote:I think that team 3 DGs are invisible.

xander

You are correct sir. Unless all the blue pixels on my monitor are invisible.
nihilesthetics2
level2
level2

Postby nihilesthetics2 » Sat Apr 22, 2006 7:50 pm

Im sure its what you meant, but they are not actually invisible, but rather they arent actually there at all. Just thought I would clear that up before the questions start :D

N2
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Sat Apr 22, 2006 8:17 pm

nihilesthetics2 wrote:Im sure its what you meant, but they are not actually invisible, but rather they arent actually there at all. Just thought I would clear that up before the questions start :D

N2

Are you sure about that? For instance, team 0 virii are invisible, but present (that is how TGF makes his counter work in Stricken Souls). I thought that team 3 DGs did the same thing, but I have not experimented with it. Am I incorrect?

xander
Major Cooke
level4
level4

Postby Major Cooke » Sat Apr 22, 2006 8:46 pm

Thats something new to add to the list: color-coded virii, spiders, etc... they all change colors when you set them on teams... im gonna add that to the next patch request right now...
trickfred
level5
level5

Postby trickfred » Sat Apr 22, 2006 8:49 pm

xander wrote:
nihilesthetics2 wrote:Im sure its what you meant, but they are not actually invisible, but rather they arent actually there at all. Just thought I would clear that up before the questions start :D

N2

Are you sure about that? For instance, team 0 virii are invisible, but present (that is how TGF makes his counter work in Stricken Souls). I thought that team 3 DGs did the same thing, but I have not experimented with it. Am I incorrect?

xander

I stand corrected. They seem to either not be there at all, or there but invisible to the player and to enemies as well (essentially making them not there anyways).
Major Cooke
level4
level4

Postby Major Cooke » Sat Apr 22, 2006 8:51 pm

I was testing for a mod, and the green virii are only invisible, since they tore through the red darwinians like fire through a chicken and the darwinians killed them too.
trickfred
level5
level5

Postby trickfred » Sat Apr 22, 2006 9:02 pm

Major Cooke wrote:I was testing for a mod, and the green virii are only invisible, since they tore through the red darwinians like fire through a chicken and the darwinians killed them too.

....What?

I just made a mod with an AI, two AITargets, 60 red DGs and 40 green DGs.

The reds walked over, and whomped on the greens.

I changed the Greens to team 3 in the mission file, reran the mod, and.... nothing. The Team 3 DGs were.... not there, and the reds shot at nothing when hitting the spot where the Team 3 DGs should have been.

De-redshirt2-ing the mission file saved in the profile revealed 60 team 1 DGs... and nothing else.

Nihil was correct, they're just not there.
nihilesthetics2
level2
level2

Postby nihilesthetics2 » Sat Apr 22, 2006 9:14 pm

How I understand it is as follows :

When a location is entered, the server initializes team 0 and team 1. In single player mode, the player connects as a client ( although its on the same physical machine as the server ). The server acknowledges this client and initializes team 2. If another client connects ( i.e in a mutiplyer scenario) it initializes team 3. If yet another client connects, it crashes ( there is no code for dealing with a team 4 ). If a team has not been initialized, then units and buildings of that team in the mod files are ignored.

Team 255 (-1) seems to be unique in that it is initialized ( although not in the same way as other teams ), but although buildings are OK, the game crashes if it finds a unit of this team.

N2
daset
level3
level3

Postby daset » Sat Apr 22, 2006 9:56 pm

Heh, for once I know something someone else doesn't! :)

Team blue units are invisible but still there. They are invincible and do not interact with anything whatsoever.

To make blue units visible, use an incubator or AISpawnpoint. You can get blue DGs or regular units who stand around acting as eye-candy and nothing more. Note that blue virii are invisible.

This was actually a gimmick I am using in my mod.
trickfred
level5
level5

Postby trickfred » Sat Apr 22, 2006 10:42 pm

daset wrote:Team blue units are invisible but still there. They are invincible and do not interact with anything whatsoever.

trickfred wrote:De-redshirt2-ing the mission file saved in the profile revealed 60 team 1 DGs... and nothing else.

Nihil was correct, they're just not there.

daset wrote:To make blue units visible, use an incubator or AISpawnpoint. You can get blue DGs or regular units who stand around acting as eye-candy and nothing more.

Neat, but they don't follow an Officer. Eye candy, but otherwise useless.

(And Team 4 crashes the game, at least in v1.42)
nihilesthetics2
level2
level2

Postby nihilesthetics2 » Sat Apr 22, 2006 11:24 pm

Blue darwinians in single player. Now that is definately something new and interesting.

But normal blue units and buildings are not invisible and invincible. They simply arnt there. Like Trickfred said they dont actually appear in the user mission file. Now, when you do your cool trick with the spawnpoints, the game does actually spawn blue darwinians, obviously, but because there is no team 3 created when the location starts, there is nothing to control them so they just stand around looking pretty.

But I have to take my hat off to you. Well spotted.

N2
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Sun Apr 23, 2006 12:02 am

nihilesthetics2 wrote:If a team has not been initialized, then units and buildings of that team in the mod files are ignored.

Thank you for the clarification, though I think that you are incorrect with regards to buildings. I have created tons of team 3 laser fences and control towers just to get the blue lights. After team 3, there are no pretty lights, however, which may be a change from earlier versions, because I seem to remember TGF on IRC talking about using any integer value to get semi-random colors. Now, it seems that teams 0-2 are what we all know and love, team 3 is blue, and anything else is grey/white (in terms of buildings).

xander
NeoThermic
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff

Postby NeoThermic » Sun Apr 23, 2006 1:01 am

Hmm. I know that team 2 darwinians are intresting in the sense that they are user controlable, but I ponder who team 3 DG's fight for. I'll have to test it!

EDIT:

After quickly adding them... I find they do *nothing*. They appear, and thats it. The reds don't attack them, they don't take damage, they don't run, walk, get scared, use cannons, etc. Woo, although they are blue!

Edit #2:

After further investigation, they also don't appear to have shadows either. To me this looks like there's no attachment between the display of the blues and the code that drives darwinian behaviour.

NeoThermic
nihilesthetics2
level2
level2

Postby nihilesthetics2 » Sun Apr 23, 2006 1:55 am

xander wrote:
Thank you for the clarification, though I think that you are incorrect with regards to buildings.

xander

Yes, you're right about the buildings. Team 3 buildings seem to work normally. It seems that only units are relevant to my previous posts.

N2

Return to “Mod Projects”