Darwinia's birthday poll

Anything and everything

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle, Chris

Which genre is Darwinia to be placed in?

Strategy
40%
Puzzle
No votes
Third person shooter
4%
Arcade
No votes
RPG
No votes
Darwinia can't be placed in just one genre (and explain)
56%

Total votes: 25
NeoThermic
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff

Postby NeoThermic » Sat Mar 04, 2006 7:04 pm

I voted for "Darwinia can't be placed in just one genre". The reason for that is I don't think you can exaclty place Darwinia into one genre. Its a game that either creates its own genre, or spans across a few genre's.

Also, Happy 1st birthday Darwinia. I'm wearing my DRP shirt for the occasion. Plus I've also got a bottle of absinthe...

NeoThermic
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Sat Mar 04, 2006 7:13 pm

Indeed, NeoThermic is correct. Darwinia draws from many genres, but does not fit snuggly into any of the pigeon holes. None of the above.

xander
daset
level3
level3

Postby daset » Sat Mar 04, 2006 10:06 pm

I choose strategy because I felt that it was almost entirely that. Most people now days think that the definition of a strategy game is "something that plays like starcraft/warcraft/aoe." Otherwise, it's something else. That sort of thinking really annoys me. :roll:

I find darwinia a strategy game since it has resource management and tactical decisions to acheive a goal(s). Hardly any of it was reflexes(just about every other genre) or logic(puzzles).
Babylon5
level5
level5

Postby Babylon5 » Sun Mar 05, 2006 12:39 pm

I chose strategy, for the same reasons as daset.

No, I have NOT fixed my speakers.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Mon Mar 06, 2006 3:47 pm

It was NeoThermic!

xander
NeoThermic
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff

Postby NeoThermic » Mon Mar 06, 2006 4:13 pm

xander wrote:It was NeoThermic!

xander

Thats liable!

Actually, as far as I'm aware, you can't edit a poll after it has been voted in. Not sure about admins, but then I've never really used/cared about putting polls in and editing them.

So in short, it wasn't me. It was there when I saw the topic.

NeoThermic
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Mon Mar 06, 2006 4:30 pm

NeoThermic wrote:Thats liable!

Actually, as far as I'm aware, you can't edit a poll after it has been voted in. Not sure about admins, but then I've never really used/cared about putting polls in and editing them.

So in short, it wasn't me. It was there when I saw the topic.

NeoThermic

Liable for what? Perhaps you meant libel?

On another note, I, too, noticed that the poll changed. I saw it for the first time, and there was no "Darwinia can't be placed in just one genre". So, I didn't vote. I came back about 10 minutes later, after you posted, and the last option had been changed. As you were the only other person to have posted, and there were only a handful of people who had seen the topic yet, I assumed it was you that changed it. If it wasn't, nevermind. Must've been John. :)

xander
TheShifter
level1
level1

Postby TheShifter » Wed Mar 29, 2006 10:25 am

i dont think it has a genre. although there is stratagy in it, that is not the only aspect, so i vote - it doesnt fit in a particualar genre

tom
hitm4n
level3
level3

Postby hitm4n » Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:32 pm

I vote its a puzzle game cos no-one else will, and i think "puzzle" will be sad to not get any votes.

Can i have a second vote ? If i can, i vote people just play the damn game, finish it, learn the modding system and release some fantastic mods.
N0ught
level3
level3

Postby N0ught » Wed Mar 29, 2006 4:21 pm

Darwinia combines retro-style arcade action with real-time strategy, and something along the lines of Lemmings, inside a fractally generated landscape.

Therefore, Darwinia is a world unto itself, and should qualify as a "Simulation" game (which should be one of the choices on the list). ;)

So based upon my choices, I am unable to vote. :lol:
cde
level2
level2

Postby cde » Sun Apr 02, 2006 10:39 am

"Simulation" got me thinking, why wasn't God Sim/God Game on the list?

Look at things like Populous: The Beginning and Black & White, and you have some parallels. Not just strategy, but (as someone else mentioned) gathering & managing resources (research & souls), interactive battles, self-defending AI, many ways to "solve" each level...

Just because there aren't mud huts doesn't mean we aren't playing God :)

Return to “General”