My New Shape File causes Darwinia to crash

Talk about your new mod or map here

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle

Rampage Starfire
level1
level1
Location: Simultaneously existing in Canada and a much better place than this world

My New Shape File causes Darwinia to crash

Postby Rampage Starfire » Tue Feb 14, 2006 10:24 pm

Ok here is what I did:

Started making a new Mod, wanted to change some of the models a bit.

So I downloaded the 3D Studio Max 7 Trial, and spent a few hours figuring out how to work the blasted widget.

Got the 3DS Max 5 files from the Darwinia website, found out that the exporter doesn't work in 3DSM 7.

I then played with the Files a bit, made a change I liked, then I tried to do the export to .ase and convert using the perl script described on Nihilistics Mod site and found out that my Mod crashes as soon as I enter a map.

so Just to confirm, I took out the new shape files from my mod's shape folder and viola it works again. so it is definatly the shp files I tried to make.

Just to let anyone know I have no previous experience with any sort of 3D modeling or the perl language (C++ I have some experience in but that doesn't help).

So it is probably some boneheaded noob mistake I am doing so any help would be appreciated
NeoThermic
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff

Postby NeoThermic » Tue Feb 14, 2006 10:52 pm

Depending on which shape you edited, you probibally forgot to add back the "action points". Such points as where the lasers come out of the squads, where the darwinians should line up, etc.

You'll have to add them back in manually, but without any more info it would be hard to direct you to doing so.

NeoThermic
nihilesthetics2
level2
level2

Postby nihilesthetics2 » Wed Feb 15, 2006 2:29 am

What shape file are you replacing? Like Neothermic said, you will have to put the markers in manually for some shapes. If you want to send me the shp file you produced, I will fix it : mail@nihilesthetics.info. Better yet, send me the mesh in 3ds format and I will generate the shape file for you, and give you some pointers as to what may have gone wrong and how to avoid problems in the future.

Edit : A good way to test if it is the markers is to view the shape file as a staticshape building. If it still crashes, its something else in the file. If it works as a staticshape, its either the markers or fragments names that is the problem.

N2
Rampage Starfire
level1
level1
Location: Simultaneously existing in Canada and a much better place than this world

Postby Rampage Starfire » Wed Feb 15, 2006 5:06 pm

ok will do. As I said I don't actually have a clue at this moment due to my lack of experience with 3d modelling and also my lack of experience with Darwinia (havent even had it for a month)

Btw it was the Centipede that I was trying to fiddle with. I intend to alter some of the others eventually, once I have a better idea of what I am doing
nihilesthetics2
level2
level2

Postby nihilesthetics2 » Thu Feb 16, 2006 12:04 am

Ok. First of all, Ive updated the converter script. It had a bug. I dont think it was causing it to crash, but I noticed something was wrong when I was looking at it. Basically I have removed the normals generation, which isnt needed. Ive put a link to the most recent version of the script on the site along with some tips. http://www.nihilesthetics.info/DarwiniaModding/tips_shapeconvert.htm

There were a few problems. First, there were some shapes in there that were not needed so I deleted them. More importantly, some of the objects in your model were editable polys. All objects have to be converted to meshes before export so that the script can pick up vertex information in the format it expects. Finally, its a good idea to align all the pivots to the world axis and to move them to (0,0,0) otherwise you may have problems with orientation and positioning.

You managed to avoid all the normal pitfalls, though :)

I will send you the regenerated shape files and modified 3ds files shortly. Any more problems with this or any other model

N2
nihilesthetics2
level2
level2

Postby nihilesthetics2 » Sat Feb 18, 2006 12:00 am

I have emailed you the fixed max and shp files

N2
Rampage Starfire
level1
level1

Postby Rampage Starfire » Sun Feb 19, 2006 1:08 am

Thanks a lot, but you changed the colours on me! :shock:

Fortunatly I was able to get them how I wanted and re-export them with no problems.

Looks Great, makes the original look a little sickly (at Least I think so)

TinFoil
level2
level2

Postby TinFoil » Sun Feb 19, 2006 2:58 am

Wow. That's cool. Including the virii. :shock:

No eyes? Kay.

IT'S HEAT SEEKING!!!1!1!1!1!!!
Lowell
level3
level3

Postby Lowell » Sun Feb 19, 2006 5:56 pm

good job, that looks cool, can't wait to try your maps. :wink:
Rampage Starfire
level1
level1

Postby Rampage Starfire » Mon Feb 20, 2006 12:25 pm

TinFoil wrote:Wow. That's cool. Including the virii. :shock:

No eyes? Kay.

Did the original have eyes? I must have blinked

just cuz I'm such a nice guy I sent off the shape files to Icepick to be put up on thenextgame.co.uk

Return to “Mod Projects”